The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gout Versus Steel Guitar
Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2002 3:13 am    

Dan D.,

Surprisingly, there are many drugs that carry the same warnings. I've questioned doctors in the past about the deliberate efforts made to spend most of the hot days in shaded areas. Very little satisfaction can be derived while making inquiries about the excesses. They simply do not offer advice in this matter. If you are a bandmember, and the bandleader books an outdoor gig during the hot season, you'll be faced with the same problem. A director of a summer camp once expected me to remain parked on an unshaded deck, near a lake, with my steel guitar for a period of 3-4 hours. He was energetic individual, who had a marvelous tan, but obviously was not focused on my dilemma. Luckily, I had schooling from past experiences, and I quickly mounted a sunproof beach umbrella over both the steel guitar, and the playing area. I simply shifted the umbrella as the sun changed positions, throughout the afternoon. It set me up to be the recipient of a few
quirky comments, which I took in stride. After the purchase of medications that warn of the sun's power to make you a victim of sunstroke, or serious skin problems, it is imperative to follow the directions. It will be difficult to protect oneself in every situation. The popular concensus amongst the sun loving people, is that more is better. Trying to explain to them about the problems created by medications, will no doubt fall upon deaf ears. A good alternative is to plan ahead when you are booked in an "iffy"
situation. The mere mentioning of an outdoor gig, should be all that is needed, to be prepared, and go prepared.

Bill H.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2002 5:56 am    

Quote:
"Cherry juice contains a "fast-in/fast-out"pain releiver which gives temporary relief from the pain,but ultimately the acid in the juice works against you" -from WC's above post

That's worth repeating.

Billy Woo

Los Angeles, CA, USA
Post  Posted 23 Dec 2002 10:35 am    

Gout is a serious pain in the butt especially when you get older and play gigs that make lifting amps, P.A gear a real problem. Joint pain via gout is a never ending story but can be controlled by diet and "Allopurinol" but nevertheless it's one big pain in the Wazoo..

Bronco Billy
Zumsteel U-12, Sierra U-12

Dan Tyack

Olympia, WA USA
Post  Posted 24 Dec 2002 3:55 pm    

It was never a pain in the butt for me, mostly in joints such as the elbow or toe...

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Dec 2002 1:21 am    

My experience has been that it is capable of striking in too many ways. Even the skin is subject to discomfort. The symptoms will exit a given part of the body, only to return in a matter of days, as a "new" flare-up. The knees are common strike points for the sudden changes.

On a brighter note, MERRY CHRISTMAS
to all, and a wish for much happiness in the NEW YEAR.

Bill H.