The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  GFI and Bobbe
Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2002 11:00 am    

I agree that the GFI is not an like Emmons or 'Bud in tone...I too have an Emmons p/p as well as a Sho-Bud that I will always keep around.

However, the tone is great on the GFI, and it has become my "workhorse" steel.

Gonna play 'er again on the job tonight!

JC

Dave Birkett

Oxnard, CA, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2002 11:06 am    

What are you guys using for amps to run the GFI through?

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 12 Dec 2002 11:12 am    

Dave,

On one gig I use an Evans small cab. that stays set up all the time. Otherwise, I use a Nashville 1000 or 400. I use a Boss RV-3 reverb in both situations. The GFI sounds equally good through all three amps.

JC

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2002 6:24 pm    

Bobbe, I hope you're gonna have that black on black GFI ready, it's my New Year's Resolution.
GFI, through a Traynor amp, even if I can't play, I'll have the strangest setup since Jaco Pastorious!

Joe Smith

Charlotte, NC, USA
Post  Posted 13 Dec 2002 8:12 pm    

Well, I also have a new GFI. Mine was delevered right after the ice storm hit. It sat here in the house for a week before I got to pick the first note on it. We finally got our power back Wednesday evening.

------------------
Playing PSG keeps you on your toes.

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2002 4:07 pm    

Well Joe...Whaddya think? Give us a report!

JC

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 15 Dec 2002 4:57 pm    

Jody, he wants a knee lever flag, RKR,I have one ordered for him, factory, should be a goodern". I think he's going to be very happy.

Joe Smith

Charlotte, NC, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2002 7:44 pm    

Well, I used the GFI Saturday night on it's first gig.
I am very pleased with the guitar. Great tone, stays in tune, and the pedal action is just as smooth as my Mullen.
I played through my 75 Fender Vibrosonic. It's about as sweet as it can get.

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2002 8:04 pm    

Hey Gang,

Well, I did my first recording session today on the GFI. I'm doing a 12-song project with a TBN artist at a really nice Houston studio. I used the GFI and a Nashville 400 miked; then to a high-dollar tube pre-amp, and and from there to the board...mono and dry (we added reverb & delay for monitors only and went to tape dry).

I was really knocked out with the tones we were getting. The producer, engineer and artist as well as some of the other players
on the project were ALL commenting on the tone and the great tuning stability of the GFI. We're not finished yet, but this is gonna be a great project.

This is a Christian artist, but a COUNTRY album, with country songs and a guest vocal by Stonewall Jackson. We're not done yet, but when we are, I'll post on how to obtain a copy for anyone who is interested.

JC

James Quackenbush

Pomona, New York, USA
Post  Posted 16 Dec 2002 8:41 pm    

Stephen,
Traynor Bassmaster + GFI = FAT TONE !!

Bobbe..The flag is VERY well made and works GREAT on the RKR...

The tone of the GFI is really not Emmmons or Shobud...It's got a tone all of it's own..I would have to agree with everyones opinion on the tone being equally great sounding thru either a tube amp, or a solid state...If you're playing with any volume thru a tube amp, you really need to lower the bass down a bit, and the tone still comes across big and bold....I ran my GFI thru a compressor, and a distortion at the same time...Since the GFI II pickups have a big low end, and a healthy high end, and not much on the mids, that I get a real "runnin on empty" type tone...Very slick indeed...I'm finding that I'm covering a lot of area's of tone with this setup..

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 16 Dec 2002 10:07 pm    

I agree James, what I really enjoy seeing happen is when other great , famous steel builders come into my store and scrutinize the GFI, they always have great comments to make about it. (hoping that no one will hear them!) Yes, this guitar is getting more respect by the day. And more professional players also. The industry needs this guitar. I'm glad we have it.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2002 2:35 am    

After hearing Joe's Smiths GFI last night , and playing on it for just a few moments..I would say that the GFI would be a serious contender for my next Steel.

Excellent tone . It certainly made me take notice. I'm not sold on the appearance but heck..I'm sure the steel wouldn't dig my appearance either !

tp

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 17 Dec 2002 8:48 am    

Tony, I have to agree with you, again.
I have found that the "looks" grow on you and after a while, it makes other guitars look "old fashioned". One very great pro player came in my store last week and said, "you know what? LOOKS are subjective, tone isn't"! I agree with him. Neat, trim, strong,the perfect weight, no nonsense,easiest to work on, most dependible, good sounding guitar built by a famous designer of over 55 years in the guitar building business. Gene Fields.
Bobbe,

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 17 December 2002 at 08:48 AM.]

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2002 11:29 am    

There's NO steel more beautiful, than an old Sho-Bud. All that pretty maple, inlay--MAN, what beautiful axes!
But that black-on-black GFI looks like it oughta come out of James Bond's Aston-Martin if Jack Nicholson was driving it. And what's cooler than that???

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 7:16 pm    

Yes, and the Aston-martin out performed most great cars, this is just another great comparison between Aston-Martin and GFI. This great company also builds guitars that out perform most others. Compare and see, GFI welcomes your scrutinizing. And the price is the most economical of all , by far! This has to do with high production and high quality control. Possibly the best buy on the market today, regardless of price, which is the lowest.

Joey Gaskins

New Bern, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2002 6:34 pm    

All of you are right on. I just purchased a new Ultra from Bobbe as well as a Morrell square neck resonator. Anyone making a purchase from him can count on what's promised to be delivered. The tone is supurb and even with the headphone amp on is really impressive to listen to. I'm still a new wannabe but I'm happy with what I hear.

ebb

nj
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2002 7:55 pm    

quote:

The tone is supurb

in latin
excellent burp

Joe Smith

Charlotte, NC, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2002 8:13 pm    

Hi Joey, Congratulations on your new GFI.
Bobbe is a super guy to deal with. This is my third pedal steel that I have purchased from Steel Guitar Nashville, and you can count on Bobbe to stand behind what he sells.
I don't know if you are a member of the MASGA.
But Keep watching the forum for the date and place for the next jam. We would love to have you come and join us.

------------------
Playing PSG keeps you on your toes.

Jody Cameron

Angleton, TX,, USA
Post  Posted 20 Dec 2002 8:41 pm    

Another post deals with the topic of the hardest thing about playing steel, and so far the consensus seems to be intonation.

I've found that the GFI frees me up to actually PLAY, rather than constantly obssessing on whether or not I'm in tune. This is the best feature of the GFI, IMHO.

Did another session today, and a show tonight, and it's still consistenty kickin' butt.

JC