The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  MSA Millennium
Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2002 7:16 am    

I had the opportunity to bring Tommy White's MSA Millennium home with me after the Opry on Saturday to give it a extensive test drive. I used it on a session yesterday morning, and I can honestly say that I have never played any guitar that got on tape as well as the Millennium. I has so much clarity of notes along with note seperation. Steel guitar is a difficult instrument to record, The range is so wide that they have a tendency to get lost in the other instruments. Not the Millennium. The tone is superb and no tuning problems.

Now to the live gig. I played Tommy's MSA last night with the Time Jumpers at our regular Monday gig. WOW what a live sound. The notes come at you like bullets out of a gun. Again tuning was there all night, and mechanically a joy to play. Several people in attendance commented about how great it sounded and how great it looked on stage. THE BAND ALSO GAVE A THUMBS UP. I can't wait to get my Millennium.

------------------

Johnny Cox
So many steels, so little time.

Nick Reed

Russellville, KY USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2002 10:42 am    

Saw one in St. Louis and they look great. I'd love to play one zumtime! Nick

Bill Hankey

Pittsfield, MA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2002 10:50 am    

Johnny C.,

I am curious about the tremolo effect that the MSA Millennium produces, when you shiver the bar.
I would appreciate any comments made that refers to the bar/vibrato effects.

Bill H.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2002 2:43 pm    

I've not seen or heard the guitar yet, so I've not formed any opinion. I trust Johnny and Paul W and Tommy White and Donny, and believe them when they say the guitar is terrific, but ultimately I will have to decided for myself after I've seen and heard and played it.

I've seen some very nagative comments about the guitar in the other forum, most notably by somebody who does not have the courage to use his real name. I think that this person has a problem with Reece, and is showing it by dissing both the instrument and the players who have praised it.

Reece remains a somewhat controversial figure, with those who support him and those who don't, but the guitar should be judged on it's own merits, not on the basis of how anybody feels about the man. And to suggest that Johnny and Tommy White are anything less than masters of the instrument, and don;t know what they are talking about, is beyond stupid. It's petty and infantile and just plain wrong.

autry andress

Plano, Tx.
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2002 3:05 pm    

I agree with you Mike.
I believe Johnny Cox to be truthful & Honest
& in my book He's a Master at playin the steel. Hope he plays the MSA in Dallas.
Reese Anderson & MSA has served me well over
the years.& I hope to own a new one in the future.

Joey Ace

Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2002 3:09 pm    

Since you like the old MSA sound, Mike, the new one might not be for you.

Everyone says they sound nothing like the old ones. Just a thought.

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2002 9:02 pm    

Mike, you said what I should have already said.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2002 9:02 pm    

Joey- I don't know. I have owned quite a few MSA"s and The later models Vintage XL"s and "Universal" with wood lacquered bodys and the aluminum pocket with supersustain II have a sound comparable with most of the guitars made today, IF you set your AMP right. I have a MSA S12 "Universal" that can get the bright sound that is so popular, just turn up the treble and throw the bright switch. But I like to keep it off and have a more full body tone. So it all depends. The old Mica heavy original Msa's did not have the sound that the later models had. I will take Johnny and Tommy's word on the new Millenium, they surely know what they are talking about.
Happy Holidays....al

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 17 Dec 2002 9:10 pm    

I don't know how many of these things will sell, but they've gotten more publicity than Trent Lott.Mike P., you posted awhile back about getting one, now you seem to be having second thoughts. I'll be new-steel-shopping next year, the Millennium is certainly up for consideration, do you know something?

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 12:31 am    

Quote:
Mike P. do you know something?

Only that I can't afford one at the moment.

I've not yet seen or heard a Millenium yet, so I have no opinion whatsoever about the guitar. My post was not about the guitar itself, but about the posts on the other forum.

I think the negative comments about the guitar are inappropriate, and the attacks against Donny and Johnny and Tommy White by somebody who is refuses to identify himself is an act of moral cowardice.

Gino Iorfida

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 2:13 am    

I wonder if Reece and co. at MSA have considered making a 'traditional' model -- i.e. take the modern, millennium advances in mechanics (squre cross shafts, aluminum neck, 3d fretboard etc), and put on a laquered wood, ro mic covered ply body? it appears the millennium has the old style 'support frame, so adding a wood body would really be pretty simple, and lower cost than the molded CFC material...

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 3:52 am    

He did a fine job of clubbing me over the head after I posted too. I didn't say anthing personal about him, only stated my opinion of Mr. Gimble and Mr. Hinson, and this guy came out both barrels blazing. Gee, what a nice fella, sure would love to have him as a friend.

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 6:57 am    

Sonny D. ...
Gino: Hadn't forgotten about you concerning the switcher & I still have your e-mail. Turned out I didn't need it, but when the time comes I'll contact you.
When I come on to show my interest in the new MSA Millennium I don't bother to talk about the undercarriage much. Being a past owner, these guitars were the most TROUBLE FREE I ever owned. And since I am paying attention to Donny & Mike, I don't have to be convinced any further that the Millennium will also be trouble free. Having heard both Johnny & Tommy on Tommy's guitar, and that I already own a guitar with wonderful tone (to my ears), then I wouldn't have any 2nd thoughts to the Millennium's tone either, especially with the consistency of CCT.
My position is similar to Mike's; can't afford a Rolls, but have a REAL nice Buick.
Having said all that, Johnny: What color your new Millennium? I sure would like to see one of the "clear" with the two color combinations running around here.
Happy holidays to all.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 1:10 pm    

I've not yet seen or heard a Millenium yet, so I have no opinion whatsoever about the guitar.
---------------------------------------------
Mike, didn't you start a lengthy thread, about how you were going to miss 5 or 6 trips to the convention, so you could get one of these new MSA's? I think you were going to start teaching more, or something, to put the bucks together?
Now, please, don't get me wrong(I'm still hoping to get that Gretsch!). I'm not trying to pick on you, or start trouble. But if you, a respected player and poster, know something about these guitars, then us dummies would appreciate knowing, before we(I) start saving up, working overtime, etc.
And if you don't want to post, please e-mail me. I won't pass along anything, you have my word.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 5:37 pm    

Stephen, the only things I know are that
1- the old MSA are great instruments.

2- I really like the Rainsong 6 string guitars that are made out of the same (I think) material.

3- the new Milleniums are signifigzntly lighter that the older MSAs, which appeals to me very much.

4- I can't afford one.

Being an instrument junkie, I immediately decided I want one as soon as I saw the picture of Tommy White's and read his glowing review.

However, I have not seen or heard one, so I can't say anything about the guitar at all, except that given the quality of the older MSAs and the comments we've all read about them here, I would guess that they are every bit as good as people say they are.

Whether or not I actually buy one will depend mostly on whether or not I can come up with the money. Any seconds thought I may be having about buying one have more to do with my financial situation than with the guitar itself. Right now it's absolutely out of the question.

I repeat, the ONLY things I know about the guitar are what I've read on this forum. I have no first hand knowledge of it and have heard or read nothing that everybody else here has not heard or read.

I appreciate your confidence in my opinions, but in this case I truly have none.

However I have that same confidence in the opinions of Johnny, Donny, Paul and Tommy. I've neve heard Paul or Donny play, but I've seen Paul's Bigsby restorations, and he clearly knows what he is talking about. And Tommy and Johnny are monsters who have forgotten more about the steel that I could learn if I were twins.

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 6:12 pm    

Merry Christmas!

[This message was edited by Jeff Peterson on 19 December 2002 at 07:00 AM.]

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 6:36 pm    

MSA MILENNIUM.....nice looking guitar, and reading what has been on the MSA Website about these guitars let's me know that it is probably one of the finest guitars built. However, like someone else has posted, I don't think its worth what the sticker is saying.....I haven't heard one yet, so I can't judge the tonal quality of it either. Having been an MSA owner in the past ( five of the D-10's) I do know that the qulity of workmanship most likely can't be equalled by any other builder, and that's not saying anything negative about other builders and the quality that's put into their product(s) I do, however want to say that I wasn't as pleased with the tone that I got out of any of the MSA's that I had, as I am with the overall tone I get with my Emmons LeGrande. I would love to sit down behind one of these new MSA Guitars and check it out, but as far as being able to own one, it'll probably be a very long time (if ever) because of it being so pricey. Just my opinion!

------------------
Be Blessed........HAL
'85 Emmons LeGrande D-10, Rack w/Evans, Tubefex 2, 1501-4 BW's

[This message was edited by Hal Higgins on 18 December 2002 at 06:38 PM.]

Stephen Gregory

Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 8:01 pm    

Imagine what a great guitar the Millennium would become if everyone in the world of retail steel sales could sell it. Hmmmmmmmmmm!

Johnny Cox

Williamsom WVA, raised in Nashville TN, Lives in Hallettsville Texas
Post  Posted 18 Dec 2002 8:32 pm    

Rex, I have yet to decide on my color but I am leaning toward dark purple or red. There is a two tone green being built now that I will have after the first of the year. May have it in Dallas if I can hang on to it that long.

Jeff, as you well know from working in a steel guitar shop, any steel guitar, new or used is worth what someone will pay for it. I know of one mid 60's Sho-Bud that sold for nearly $6,000. Was it worth that much? It was to someone!

------------------

Johnny Cox
So many steels, so little time.

Paul Warnik

Illinois,USA
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2002 1:17 pm    

There is one thing that I would like to add-when I was loaned the Millenium to play for my evaluation-I discovered that it allowed me to "feel younger"-by taking me back to when I just wanted to sit and play for hours-and at this stage of the game-with older hands that are not as fast anymore and ears that don't hear as well anymore-to have that kind of inspiration to play again is in effect to me-PRICELESS-I hope to own one of these someday in the not too distant future-and that comes from a devout "Emmons head" who has now found that acceptance of this which is new and different-can be a positive experience for one's own musical self-growth

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 19 Dec 2002 5:33 pm    

Stephen Gregory - You hit the nail on the head!