The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bobbe's Z lever set up
Billy Poteet

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2002 10:37 am    

I was wondering it anyone had a chance to
try this setup up. If so what knee levers
did you use for the change? and do you think it was worth the effort. Looks interesting to me. since I don't get to play much anymore, I have time to pretty much experiment with it. Should I get the Video?
where do you get the extra Rod for the third
pull?

Billy P.

------------------

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2002 4:03 pm    

Bobbe uses his 'Z' on LKR. Yes, get the video. You get a rod at the rod store..........or Steel Guitar Nashville.

kbdrost

Prospect Heights, IL
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2002 11:53 am    

Bobbe sez you need to set it up so that the "Z' lever (lowering 2 a half; raising 7 a whole; and lowering 9 a half) and the "D" lever (lowering 4 & Cool can be operated simultaneously--in other words, not on the same leg. I also have mine on LKR. The video is good, but IMHO, you need to have a "F" lever (raising 4 & Cool, too. Experts like Bobbe can get this change from slanting the bar. Nitwits like me can't. I am also curious about the uses others have made of the "Z" lever, in particular the combinations with other knees & pedals.

------------------
Ken Drost

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2002 1:42 pm    

Playing pedal steel without an F lever is like playing standard guitar without your left index finger. It can be done, but you lose a lot.

Just my opinion.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6), Roland Handsonic

Abe Stoklasa

Nashville, TN
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2002 6:13 pm    

I use this setup, and it is a much improved version of a standard setup. I, however, do you an F lever-RKR.
Eb-RKL
Z-LKR

You can do a lot more on it than you could with a standard setup!!

Bobbe, I haven't seen you or talked to you in forever, friend. It's been too long! I'm down to my last string! AHHHH

Hope to see you soon! I've got some things to tell you, and I hope you can show me some new licks!

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2002 6:51 pm    

The "Z" lever set-up does use the "E-F" lever Bobby, but I must ask, how well does one play if he can't play without it (a E-F lever)? Not very well I'm sure. I know many players that play great with "NO" knee levers.

I use Three levers on my steel, Raise and lower the "E"s, and the "Z" lever . Pretty near the perfect set up, in my very humble opinion. You can "load your guitar up and not be able to play as much". This lever was musically thought out and invented using intelligent theory, it didn't just evolve, like the others did.

Bobbe

Pardon my spelling,(the edit king)

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 04 December 2002 at 08:39 PM.]

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 04 December 2002 at 08:40 PM.]

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 4 Dec 2002 7:14 pm    

Get the tape from Bobbe...I did! I'm sure you'll pick up something useful from it, and learn a new lick or two. (Even if you don't add the "Z-lever".)

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 04 December 2002 at 07:16 PM.]

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2002 10:02 am    

There is a follow up video coming up very soon on this "Z" lever. It will show how to play many songs using this extremely full style of E9th. Having the first video will lay ground work for this endevor.
This method of approching E9th has been very well accepted and I am getting many happy reviews from everywhere. Pro and begginers alike.
I wish to thank everyone that has given this method a chance to enhance their playing.
Bobbe Seymour

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 5 Dec 2002 10:54 am    

You can get some of the F lever stuff by using your C pedal and lowering the 4th string a half against it with your knee lever. If you experiment with it you can get some pretty close stuff depending on your string size. I did this a lot on my old ShoBud which didn't have an F lever. Of course you won't have the 8th string E to F doing this but at least it's a part of it.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney Universal tuning.