The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Question: Are these Guitars good to buy? Is the Price OK?
Sur Singh

Mass
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2000 10:43 am    

Dear Group:

I am in the market to buy a lap steel guitar. The used guitars that I have located so far are the following:

(a) Magnatone, 1940's, $200-$250 + case.
(b) Ricenbacher, 1940s, $300 + case.
(c) Supro, 1960s, $295.

Are these prices OK? Are these guitar brands any good?

If I opt to buy a normal guitar and convert it to a steel, what brand or type is good for steel. I mean, should I look for one-, two-, or three-pickup guitars?

Thanks for the answers. Please feel free to Email any ideas/thoughts/opinions to me at surinder@ieee.org

Surinder Singh

J D Sauser

Wellington, Florida
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2000 12:46 pm    

I think that ~ $200.oo to $250.oo, is always alright for a steel in good working condition. Can't make a new one for that money. And then maybe you get lucky and it picks up value.
Some Rickenbacher can be worth quite more than that... but not all (as a mater of fact, most aren't)... J-D.

Chris DeBarge

Boston, Mass
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2000 12:54 pm    

Surinder,
I assume you are talking about single neck 6-strings? If so, I'd go for the Rickenbacker.

Steve B

Garland Texas
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2000 4:51 pm    

If you would consider a new insturment, I seem to rember seeing a post from Ed Naylor saying that he can sell a really afordable 6 string lap steel, brand new. Also, if you look at www.gretsch.com , you will see that they are also selling new lap steels. I have never seen the new gretsch in person, so I have no idea if it is good or bad.

Sur Singh

Mass
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 12:03 am    

Yes, I am talking about 6-string models. All suggestions from you guys are welcome. Where else can I get used steels on the Internet?

Thanks
Surinder

Lew Collins

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 5:57 am    

I'm a beginner too, but I know a bit about guitars. I'd go for the Rickenbacher. If you want a second lap with more "bark" try a Supro. But a late 40's bakelite Rick for around $300 would be my #2 pick and if you can find a 30's Rick for $600 or so grab it...that'd be my #1 pick. Avoid the hollow body Ricks...only go for the bakelite. Avoid those cream colored Gibson BR-9 model guitars...I see them everywhere. Cool guitar but weak pickup...looks like a single coil P-90 but it's not. Lew

Sur Singh

Mass
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 8:25 am    

I went to Melobar web page and saw some items for sale. There seemed to be a few guitars (new, and maybe pre-owned too, i think) in the price range $300-400ish. Since those guitars are so new, would they be a better deal than the above ones I mention? I haven't played the Melobar; the above mentioned ones I have played and they sound great.

Thanks to all who have responded and are going to do so in the near future.

Surinder

PS: If you know of any other Internet corner that might be helpful, please do let me know. My Email: surinder@ieee.org

[This message was edited by Surinder Singh on 22 June 2000 at 09:26 AM.]

[This message was edited by Surinder Singh on 22 June 2000 at 03:22 PM.]

Cliff Swanson

Raleigh, NC
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 10:06 am    

The Melobar instruments are first rate at great prices, and backed by superb company ethics and service. If it matters, the resale value of a new lap steel made by Melobar is probably better than most 40-50 yr old laps that have poor pickups and cheesey tone (with the exception of the Richs, Fenders, some Gibsons, adn a few other older guitars that are "tone standards"). I think the variety of styles and configurations of the Melobar steels is unbeatable, especially given the price and the people standi ng behind them.

Cat

[This message was edited by Cliff Swanson on 22 June 2000 at 12:08 PM.]

Sur Singh

Mass
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 11:41 am    

With regard to the Ricenbacher, what is a "Bakelight"? Is it a kind of wood? How will I identify it in a vintage guitar store? I take it that it is supposed to be a good thing.

Surinder

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 12:49 pm    

Surinder: Bakelite is a plastic-like material, the same as you'll find in old telephones. It's extremely dense (Bakelite Rickenbackers weigh a ton), and resonates beautifully. Bakelite Ricks are either black or dark brown, and have five metal plates on the top. They also have "horseshoe" pickups, with enormous chrome-plated magnets which wrap around the strings. Pre-war instruments have a pickup 1-1/2" wide, post-war, 1-1/4." A Pre-war is definitely the superior guitar, but any bakelite instrument is worth owning if the price is right.

I can heartily recommend Melobar instruments (I have a Supersteel on order). They are beautifully made and have a sound comparable - in some ways superior - to the finest vintage lap steels. The Rattler is a fine starter, but if you want an instrument you'll never outgrow, I'd suggest the SLS. A terrific buy.

Sur Singh

Mass
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2000 2:40 pm    

I checked on the model for the Ric, it is a hollow-body all-metal Electro. Is that a good deal for $300? Is it better than Magnatone for $200? How about as compared to a Dickerson 1930/40s? Lew Collins above suggested that "avoid the hollow Rick." Is it really that bad, Lew (and others)? Worse than Magnatone?

Thanks

Surinder

[This message was edited by Surinder Singh on 25 June 2000 at 03:46 PM.]

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 25 Jun 2000 4:07 pm    

There are good deals out there in the steel guitar world but check out Brad's Page of steel.The site is loaded with info on steels.Brad is first class and he has always answered my questions.

Sur Singh

Mass
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2000 4:46 pm    

I have gone through his site extensively. But I need comparison advice. Hopefully Brad will respond ...

Surinder

PS: Brad accorded me immortality by incorporating a small article on Indian Lap steel guitarists by me on his web site.

PPS: Please feel free to E-mail me at: surinder@ieee.org

[This message was edited by Surinder Singh on 25 June 2000 at 05:47 PM.]

[This message was edited by Surinder Singh on 25 June 2000 at 05:50 PM.]

[This message was edited by Surinder Singh on 25 June 2000 at 05:51 PM.]

[This message was edited by Surinder Singh on 25 June 2000 at 07:15 PM.]

Billy Jones

Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 25 Jun 2000 6:54 pm    

You are talking about a very inexpensive investment here. The boys are quite right when they advise you to go with guitar with the best reputation. I would pick the Rick.. if I had to chose one of the three but for a few bucks more you can get a new one suggested here. Your playing experience will tell you later whether you should trade for change.
.. My opinion.. Billy

Lew Collins

Boulder, Colorado, USA
Post  Posted 26 Jun 2000 6:51 am    

My opinion: Be patient and wait for a solid body bakelite Rick to cross your path. You will not be sorry! If you buy almost anything else and then later on find a nice bakelite Rick, you'll stop playing whatever you bought first because the Rick will sound so much better. So don't waste your money. Do not buy a hollow body Rick...they do not have the TONE. (Silver Hawaiian excepted!) There are other nice guitars, but you are certain of getting a good one if you just cool it until you find a nice bakelite Rick.

Sur Singh

Mass
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2000 3:18 pm    

A question: I tested out a hollow-body all-metal Rickenbacher mentioned above. While the sound was good on the first few strings, the 4th, 5th, and 6th string had almost negligible sustain. If I put the bar at the 12th fret of the 4th string, the sound suddenly dies out. Is this normal? Is this, by any chance, a well-known small problem that is fixed easily or is this something more serious?

Thanks.

-Surinder

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2000 1:37 am    

Surinder, sounds like the Rick you're talking about had a pickup problem could be just an easily remedied short or a more involved rewinding job. If you're looking for inexpensive 6 or 8 string lap steels, give me an email, I always have several on hand. You can see a few of what I have now at my little Online Store at : http://Steelsales.safeshopper.com
Good luck!

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Pedal, Non-Pedal, Lap, and Dobro

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2000 6:19 pm    

Mark,
I have a lead on a 6 string Harmony
solid wood[brown] ivory pickguard,
the cord is attached,no case.
What would be a fair price and
about what year do you think,maybe
40s 50s? It works.
Bill Ford

Lefty

Grayson, Ga.
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2000 2:52 pm    

I have a 1949 metal Rickenbacker, hollow and it has great tone, and enough volume to strip paint off funiture. It has the horsehoe pickup and painted brass parts and a cover over the tuning posts. I paid 110.00 about 22 years ago for mine, and have never regreted it. I would by a bakelite if I could get one for a good price, but both are good. Even the 60's wood trapezoidal shaped ones are good.

Mark van Allen

Watkinsville, Ga. USA
Post  Posted 18 Jul 2000 11:20 am    

Hi, Bill, used to be able to get Harmonys and such for $50- now they seem to be going on Ebay and the guitar sites for $110-200. It comes down to what it's worth to you. those Harmonys are Ok guitars, if the attached cord breaks it's usually an easy repair,or you can easily replace it with a jack that negates whatever collectible value they might have (?). A nice condition case would make it worth more.

------------------
Mark van Allen-"Blueground Undergrass" Pedal, Non-Pedal, Lap, and Dobro

David Stehman

Port Orchard, WA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2000 11:55 pm    

Surinder-I have oahu 6 and older Melobar 8. I plan to order a double SuperSteel from Ted Smith at Melobar. I recently received the Melobro resin bodied (today's bakelite, ytou could say) resonator guitar he made. I would
trust his guidance if you call him. He has spent a lot of time helping me (newcomer to lap)and his information has been right on. I bought the two laps from him, and am very pleased. The Melobar 8 was a bargain at $190, used, and had the older Paul Barth design pickups which give a fat, funky sound
I like. Very strong output. He has used on his website www.melobar.com
Dave Stehman

David Stehman

Port Orchard, WA, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jul 2000 11:56 pm    

Surinder-I have oahu 6 and older Melobar 8. I plan to order a double SuperSteel from Ted Smith at Melobar. I recently received the Melobro resin bodied (today's bakelite, ytou could say) resonator guitar he made. I would
trust his guidance if you call him. He has spent a lot of time helping me (newcomer to lap)and his information has been right on. I bought the two laps from him, and am very pleased. The Melobar 8 was a bargain at $190, used, and had the older Paul Barth design pickups which give a fat, funky sound
I like. Very strong output. He has used on his website www.melobar.com
Dave Stehman