The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  E-F# on KL question???
Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 2:03 pm    

I like to hear from anyone that raises their 4th string E-F# on a KL.
What I would like to find out is if you have any other pulls on that KL or just the E-F#.
I was thinking about adding the E-F# on my Fessy on the same lever that I raise the 1st string F#-G#. Anyone see any problems moving both those strings at the same time?
Thanks
JE:-)>

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 3:26 pm    

If I could afford to lose the "C" pedal, I personally might do this. Trouble is, a lot of times that I use the "C" pedal, I do fast moves which are impossible (for me, anyway) to get on a knee lever.

As far as combining the changes you mentioned, one of the more popular uses for that pedal (F#-G#) is the resolve to a major triad using strings 5, 4, & 1. The combination you describe (raising 1 and 4 together) would cause you to lose that change.

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 15 October 2002 at 04:31 PM.]

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 5:36 pm    

For a while I was raising both E's to F# on my vertical knee lever. It was very good musically, but too stiff for me so I removed the 8th string raise. Now I only raise the 4th string.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic), Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6), Roland Handsonic

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 8:59 pm    

Bobby-I use just the one pull too. That is a very handy knee lever. You can get things with it that you can't do with the C pedal....al

Terry Wendt

Nashville, TN, USA
Post  Posted 15 Oct 2002 11:32 pm    

If located on a left vertical knee lever and positioned for speed, the
(+E-->F# & +B-->C#) change can be extremely quick. Providing you also carry the +-E's on that same left knee, everything is located wonderfully. Probably would be fruitless to raise 1 with 4 though. [my opinion ]

tkw

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2002 12:28 am    

Well! Dear people; I guess I'll throw you all a curve! I have the 1st. & 2nd. strings on pedal #1. raising F# & D# to G# & E. Then the A,B, & C pedals on #2, #3, & #4. Then my LKL raises str.#4 E to F, and str.#8 E to F# w/half-stop. When str.#8 reaches F, str.#4 begins it's change from E to F. I don't use an F on #4 & #8 at the same time, so; this works out quite well for me! It's a KL that I use quite often, and is very effective for certain sounds. Some players raise the 8th. string from E to F# on the regular 3rd. pedal along with strs.#4 & #5, but; I prefer my set-up and have been using it for a very long time! All I had to learn to remember was that if I want an F on str.#8, I only push the KL to the stop, and if I want an F on str. #4 I have to push the KL all the way! After a while it becomes 2nd. nature! Thanks, "Big John"

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2002 1:16 am    

Yep; I raise the 4th string E to F# on my LKL2....and also lower the 8th string E to D on that same knee.
I love it and have many uses for it within my copedent Here>My CoPeDeNt

------------------
Ricky Davis

My Homepage
Rebel™ and Ricky's Audio Clips
www.mightyfinemusic.com
Email Ricky: sshawaiian@aol.com

Waisznor

Berlin, Germany
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2002 3:14 am    

I raise my 1st string F#-G# and the 4th string E-F# with my RKL (and on C6 E-Eb and E-F) and it works good for me.

Horst
(Emmons P/P 10+10)

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2002 3:58 am    

I raise my 4th E - F# with LKV. That's the
only change on the LKV.

Gil Berry

Westminster, CA, USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2002 8:47 am    

I raise the 4th to F# with LKL. I like to hit it along with the 1st string F# for a "double string" sound, then drop down two frets and lower the 4th with my E-D# knee (RKR). (A I-IV change)....

I've been trying to figure out what additional change I could add to this knee - like the E-D lower on 8 mentioned above....

This is one of the most frequently used knees I have - use it much more than the 5th and 9th (Universal tuning) B to A# lowers...

[This message was edited by Gil Berry on 16 October 2002 at 09:50 AM.]

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2002 11:17 am    

Since playing steel without the E to F# change just ain´t much fun for me and I now have a guitar with just four knee levers (and putting on another one just looks like too much trouble), I had to look for a way to incorporate the E to F# into a four-lever setup, possibly without giving up any other changes. And I think I succeeded. Incidentally, I like to have both E string changes on the right leg, it just feels better to me when the left leg is free to just work the pedals on the combinations. So now I have the E lowers on RKR and the raises on RKL. Now here´s the trick. I tuned them for both strings 4 and 8 to raise all the way to F#. But since that lever also does a half-step lower on the C6 neck, there is like a half stop feel and since that lever is a bit stiff it makes it easy to go just from E to F when I need that one instead. It took some getting used to, but now I can get a pretty exact F as well as F# on the same lever. I have yet to explore the E to F# on the 8th string, I already found some cool blues licks with it. This kind of setup may not be for everyone, all I know is for me it works perfectly. BTW, I still have my C pedal, for certain things where you need it to be real fast like Lloyd Green type of stuff I think it´s just indispensable.

Regards, Joe H.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2002 11:26 am    

By coincidence I have it exactly like Ricky D. Since mine is on a Universal 12, the 8th string D is real important so I duplicate that E>D on a different lever for when the 4th string linkage is musically problematic.

This is in addition to a standard C pedal (that also raises string 11 E>F#.

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2002 12:22 pm    

I also have a knee lever that raises the 4th string to F#. This is in addition to, rather than instead of the C pedal. I usually use this when the pedals are already down, but sometimes to get the open 5th interval between the 4th and 5th strings.

The same knee lever also has the bell crank and pull rod in place to raise the 1st string to G#. However, I decided I don't like that change, so I removed the tuning nut and pulling sleeve so that the rod doesn't activate the changer. I can of course put them back on at any time, but I don't anticipate doing this.

rhcarden

Lampe,Mo / USA
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2002 4:58 pm    

I have RKR 4th string E to F# on the E 9th and 7th string C to D on the C 6th.

------------------
Bob Carden 66 Emmons P/P 8/9
BMI 13 string 7/7

Tiny Olson

Mohawk River Valley, Upstate NY
Post  Posted 16 Oct 2002 6:25 pm    

Jim:
I agree with Donny in that I wouldn't want to combine the change on string 4 (E to F#) on the same knee lever with the 1st string.

I do raise the 4th string to F# with the vert. lever on my left knee. I also raise the 8th string to F#, but I do this with my 8th pedal which also works the C6. To use that pedal on E9 I slide my right foot off the volume pedal. I like raising both those E strings the full tone up to F#, but I also like having them on individual levers/pedals.

If I had to, I could get by with them on one lever, but I like them seperate. I also raise the 1st string a full tone and the 2nd a half on my left/right/rear. Works for me.

Chris "Tiny" Olson