The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page 1, 2  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  CMA's Night to Rock
Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 5:34 pm    

Anyone been watching this? It might be their night to rock but it sounds like their same ole stuff. Zach Brown BAnd just came and is the best so far.
Actualy pretty good. Alan Jackson and Brad Paisley is suppose to be on later so there might be hope yet. j Damn there's some guy in his bare feet. Jackson and Paisley are going have to sing their tails off to rescue this mess. At least the kids like it, they are the ones who buy the music and support their concerts. Some like it some don't. Oh Well

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 5:58 pm    

Quote:
It might be their night to rock but it sounds like their same ole stuff.

Doesn't everyone here say that modern country is rock? That would explain why it sounds like their "same ole stuff".

No TV, can't watch (probably a good thing).

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 6:30 pm    

Yep and yep. Not all bad and there is some good eye candy😊

Brett Day

Pickens, SC
Post  Posted 17 Sep 2012 8:52 pm     Re: CMA's Night to Rock

Larry Hamilton wrote:
Anyone been watching this? It might be their night to rock but it sounds like their same ole stuff. Zach Brown BAnd just came and is the best so far.
Actualy pretty good. Alan Jackson and Brad Paisley is suppose to be on later so there might be hope yet. j Damn there's some guy in his bare feet. Jackson and Paisley are going have to sing their tails off to rescue this mess. At least the kids like it, they are the ones who buy the music and support their concerts. Some like it some don't. Oh Well

Randle Currie was on steel for Brad Paisley-Randle and his Franklin, Tim Sergent was playin' his Jackson Pro IV with Dierks, Robbie Flint's Derby was onstage with Alan Jackson-although Robbie was playin' slide guitar, Kevin Post was on steel with Blake Shelton, playin' his ShowPro, Chad Jeffers played his Mullen with Carrie, Travis Toy played his Mullen with Rascal Flatts, Scotty McCreery's steel player played slide guitar-couldn't see what brand of steel was onstage with Scotty.

Brett
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2012 7:04 am    

I was thinking if they would have changed the billing to something other than the oxymoronic "Country's Night to Rock," they might have appealed to a larger audience, but it's obvious the only demographic they're interested in are the adolescents. Oh Well

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2012 7:14 am    

There is a problem with "Country" and "Rock" together. Either its "Country" or its "Rock". But sadly what is being marketed today as "Country" isn't, its mostly rock of one genre or the other.

Some of the new music isn't bad, I just wish they would create a new category for it and stop calling it "Country".

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2012 7:19 am    

Jack, "Crock" immediately comes to mind ... Shocked Laughing

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2012 8:24 am    

Quote:
Crock

Now that's funny. Barry, you still manage to crock me up, I mean crack me up.

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2012 8:56 am     Country Show.

I watched the show last night and enjoyed some of it. I actually heard a couple of steel notes! When I played professionally years ago with a recording artist I was very fortunate. He used Pete Drake and Lloyd Green on most of his hits. They had great steel licks to copy. I kinda feel sorry for the modern steel players having to play in that mix of LesPaul's and Marshall amps. There was some nice eye candy though!

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2012 9:41 am    

I recorded the show, I'll take a look at some of it maybe tonight.

The horse has beaten beaten to death here over the years about the state of modern mainstream country music, that it really isn't country music in the traditional sense and yeah, I agree, it's pretty danged obvious, and everyone here is preaching to the choir.

But look at the term Rock Music: everything from Blue Suede Shoes to to She Loves You to Good Vibrations to Suite: Judy Blue Eyes to Sweet Home Alabama back to Sweet Little Sixteen to Bohemian Rhapsody to Smells Like Teen Spirit and on an on and on.

Nobody seems to have a problem with the concept of all those songs being encompassed under the heading of "Rock Music."

I guess after about the last 10 or so years I don't have a problem with all this mainstream country stuff being called country music - does the label really matter? It was pretty inevitable that it wasn't going to always sound like Ray Price in 1962. Popular music always changes and fluctuates.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2012 10:43 am    

As much as I like slide guitar, I think it's overused. I rather like them in a straight Blues context and not so much in the so called Country of today. Of course there are exceptions.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 18 Sep 2012 12:21 pm    

Joachim, I agree. So far, I haven't heard an exception worth noting.

Larry Tracy

Nevada City, CA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2012 10:58 am    

THis is country music in 2012 wether you like it or not. I like some of it and don't like most of it. What cracks me up the most are the bands where they are playing PRS guitars thru marshalls and the songs lyrics are telling you how country they are and referencing Merl, Waylon, George etc. IT seems like the artists who have been around awhile like Paisley, Jackson, Bently have developed they own style. If you keep having hits you are allowed more artistic freedom. While the newcomers are pretty much interchangeable clones. IF a new band has a different sound and has a hit you know the clones won't be far behind.

Greg Stasny

Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2012 12:17 pm    

One song line had me groaning and laughing (though that was not the song's intent)...."you make my speakers go boom-boom". If it was a novelty song it would be one thing, but that sort of drivel is now "mainstream". And as noted, any song including the name of a country legend, or mentioning trucks, backwoods, or just the word "country" is thereby dubbed playable as today's country.
And let's not forget "country girl shake it for me now, shake it for me...", pure genius. Razz Laughing

Richard Sinkler

Post  Posted 19 Sep 2012 1:57 pm    

Agree with Mark and Larry. Very Happy

Smiley Roberts

Hendersonville,Tn. 37075
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2012 5:12 pm    

Nothing but '70's rock,with a cowboy hat!! Even the "hat-acts" have traded in their cowboy hats for backward ball caps! Mad Mad

Larry Hamilton

Keller, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2012 5:54 pm    

Glad I started this post I am loving it and laughing my butt off with some of the posts.

the bottom line is, if you have a product and it sells, sell the fire of it as long as you can, let everybody make all the money off of it they can, while they last. They REAL stars are still doing shows and making money. While even though it is a business they are still doing it for the love of the music. IMHO only Smile Thanks for ya'll's time. Smile

Alan Tanner

Near Dayton, Ohio
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 3:04 am    

At least a lot of the "new country" is easy to learn.............take a few words or a phrase, and just do it over and over and over and over. Cheeper to record too.........since the background music is just a jumble, it is simplicity in itself to patch sections together....at least that is what it sounds like.

Joachim Kettner

Germany
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 4:26 am    

I agree Alan, and the easier the songs are to play, the harder they are to remember, at least for me.

Barry Blackwood

Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 7:04 am    

Well said, Alan and Joachim.

Doug Palmer

Greensboro, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 7:09 am     cma

I wonder how many of these new stars are going to be around in 20 years? Will any of these songs become standards like Haggard, Jones or Hank Sr.? When you sit in with a band and call off 'Shake it for Me' will everybody just jump in like 'Today I started Loving You Again'? I didn't hear any memorable signature licks, except for 'Pontoon'.

DP

Theresa Galbraith

Goodlettsville,Tn. USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 3:12 pm    

I wonder how many of us will be around to know in 20 years?

Janice Brooks

Pleasant Gap Pa
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 6:12 pm    

I heard the ratings were down from 2011

Alvin Blaine

Picture Rocks, Arizona, USA
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 8:45 pm     Re: cma

Doug Palmer wrote:
I wonder how many of these new stars are going to be around in 20 years? Will any of these songs become standards like Haggard, Jones or Hank Sr.? When you sit in with a band and call off 'Shake it for Me' will everybody just jump in like 'Today I started Loving You Again'? I didn't hear any memorable signature licks, except for 'Pontoon'.

DP

Why would they have to be around for 20 years. Hank Williams was only on the national scene for 5 years, George Straight has been recording hits for 28 years.
I don't think longevity has much to do with if you like a song or not, and the recording industry has changed SO dramatically over the past two decades, that keeping the same artist for 20+ years isn't really in their business plan.
I know that some Country Music Fans do tend to have favorites and follow them through out their career, I kind of prefer to go on a song by song basis.

Mark Eaton

Sonoma County in The Great State Of Northern California
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2012 9:42 pm    

George Strait must not be that big a deal after 28 years of hits - I'll bet his name is misspelled about 50% of the time! Wink