The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Aluminum or Wooden Necks?
Steve Frost

Scarborough,Maine
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 4:06 pm    

Jody- maybe you're overthinking this one. I didn't get the vibe that Chas was slamming you at all. If you can be playful without adding a smiley after every phrase, maybe others can too. Just my take... BTW, I went with wooden necks on the steels, which was the topic starter. I did a doubletake when I saw this topic resurface after nearly 2 years.

Tom Jordan

Wichita, KS
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 4:26 pm    

I should probably mind my own business, but Jody, I think Chaz was just kidding right back at you. I don't know him personally but always enjoy his post as they are informitive, interesting and always full of good will...just like yours.

But back to Steve's topic....Steve are you really building a guitar? If you are, I don't think the the material matters as much as how the components react to each other. One way to test this would be to "vibrate" the body parts, pour dry graphite or sand in or on it and observe the vibration pattern. I learned this from a "Nova" program studing the properities of the violin masters' works.(Thats a long topic if you haven't seen it but it does apply, I think). The vibration patterns need to be consitant for the best tone and areas of turbulence should be worked with to smooth out or eliminate.

I'm not an expert but did study instrument building and actually built a violin from scratch that plays well. Like Ricky's post, I too believe that it boils down to the strings, pick up and changer and what they in turn attach to. The tone will vary depending on the properties of that material and how it resonates once it is vibrated...that will in turn keep the strings in motion or not.

Hopefully, this dosen't sound like a lot of hot air...I wish that I had the time and resources to really study different properties of guitar materials and build my own...one of these days. I do really believe though that vibration testing and the tightness or loosness of the vibration patterns will reveal or predict how the guitar will sound.

Good luck on your steel and I hope you'll let us know how it turns out and what neck you decided on.

Bill Ford

Graniteville SC Aiken
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 5:18 pm    

My guitar is all wood and I like the tone just fine,the top is 5/4 maple,the aprons are 3/4 maple(birdseye),the neck is mahogony,laquer finish,George L.712 pickup.
Maybe everything is touching just right,also been told the tone was good.
If it sounds good to you and the folks listening,what else do you want??

Bill

------------------
Bill Ford

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 5:33 pm    

I have deleted my post in my aplogy to Chas Smith. (see above) It is not neccesary for me
to apologize again.

What started out as a friendly fun thing has obviously been mis-understood. Having fun on the Forum can many times be taken the wrong way by people,,,,this was one of those times.

Chas,,I sent you my e mail with no reply,,so
I guess,,,there is no more for me to say,,. However,,,I can still send that 8x10 photo of Jennifer Lopez

The Fender Guy....The Knight Of Tweed. I give up....you Bigsby guys are all the same

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 10 October 2002 at 05:29 AM.]

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 4:54 pm    

Hey Padre, I never got the e-mail and the address hasn't changed. I'd like a photo of Jennifer playing a Q-10 Wright? Last March I got to kiss Charlize Theron, not too many Bigsby guys get to do that, almost made up for all of the money I didn't make.

[This message was edited by chas smith on 10 October 2002 at 05:55 PM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 11 Oct 2002 7:34 am    

Chas,
I see your e mail address his "hidden".so is
mine,,,,,you "show me your's" and I will show
you mine"

How do we do this?? YOU GO FIRST.. c,mon be a sport

Love ya too guy.

The Knight Of Fender Tweed has spoken.

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 12 Oct 2002 11:05 am    

Chas
Boy you are a stubborn guy,,OK..I give up....

I'll show you mine,,but whatever you do,,,,,,
dont be jealous.

hotclub@ptd.net Im here all day today and
tomorrow,,,,then its back to "The Doctors"
you know as "IN MONEY".