The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Emmons
David Decker

Canton, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2002 4:48 pm    

What are the differences in the LeGrande and the LeGrande II. And are the short or long headstocks prefered?

[This message was edited by David Decker on 07 October 2002 at 05:48 PM.]

Dougie Hodge

Grove City, PA / Hendersonville, TN USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2002 8:59 pm    

Howdy Dave, How have you been? I've never played a LeGrande, but you remember my White LeGrande II, it has 14 hole bellcranks,& long keyheads. I don't know what major difference's there are. All I know is mine has killer tone. You've heard it. Your welcome to try it out next time I see ya! E-mail me at pedalsteelripgrind@zoominternet.net so I have your recent address, and I'll send you a pic & a couple of my songs. Take care & God Bless! Your friend, Dougie

[This message was edited by Dougie Hodge on 07 October 2002 at 10:00 PM.]

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 7 Oct 2002 9:20 pm    

One difference is that the LeGrande II uses the 14-hole bellcranks and an L-shaped bend on the pull rods, while the older LeGrandes used the 4-hole bellcranks and brass spools. I prefer the 14-holers, it simplifies and speeds up the task of balancing the pulls and adding or changing pulls. Also the very earliest LeGrandes had cast pedals like the ones on the push-pull guitars. All the current LeGrande II's and III's have extruded aluminum pedals.

BTW, there are a number of guitars out there with "LeGrande" decals that are actually "LeGrande II's" in every respect. I've got one.

As to the long and short headstocks, that's a matter of personal preference IMHO. My guitar has whatever they are now using for a headstock and I'll put it up against anybody's guitar for tone. But every player's mileage varies, some like certain features and others don't.

Tim R.

[This message was edited by Tim Rowley on 07 October 2002 at 10:27 PM.]

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 1:41 pm    

I have a Legrande II with 4-hole bell cranks and a short key head. The short head makes it necessary to use a lot of string wraps on the keys (top 4 strings) to keep from breaking them. This is somewhat of a pain. BTW, Dave, nice hearing you last month at Bolivar!

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 8 Oct 2002 5:23 pm    

A LeGrande II with 4 hole cranks? Seen a few LLII's with the short key head.but Never a LII with 4 hole cranks. --------bb

GaryL

Medina, OH USA
Post  Posted 10 Oct 2002 4:45 pm    

Sorry; you're correct. My mistake, it's not a II, but the earlier Legrande.