Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Quality Steel Guitars?
Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 3:56 pm    

Jim S
Thanks -- I misspoke

Jim W
MY point was that suggesting a change of guitars (to WHATEVER brand) may be questionable advice. He has a name brand guitar that is probably misadjusted. Finding someone to look at it and determine how to fix the problem is my suggestion. Both problems he alluded to (tuning and pedal action) can be simple adjustments in the hands of a knowledgeable technician. I agree with you that if he needs a new guitar you can't beat Bruce's horns, but if not, what he has may be perfectly adequate.

Just my slant.

LTB

Jim Eaton

Santa Susana, Ca
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 7:21 pm    

Brett,
If you are having a problem keeping you Sierra Artist in tune, it may be a problem with Grover Tuning Keys, which are the "only" parts on the Artist guitars that is not made "in-house" by Don Christensen.
Don uses CNC machining software that is made by Gibbs & Associates in Moorpark Ca. to machine all the parts used in both the Session and Artists guitars.
I work for Gibbs & Associates and can tell you that the quality of the parts is exactly the same in both the Session & Artists series guitars. Like .001 tolerances!
Our software was used by Jet Propulsion Labs to build the "Rover" that was landed on Mars. Boeing Aircraft uses our software to build their planes. Daimler-Chrysler uses our software to machine all the casting used in their cars. The Williams Formula One team uses our software to build their race cars. So please believe me when I say that there is no lack of precision in the parts used in your Artists Series by Sierra.
I play a Keyless Session S-12 8/5 and have never ever had any problems keeping it in tune.
I'm going to be at the Sierra booth at the NAMM show next week and plan to give the new D-10 Artist a good work out. I do not expect to be disappointed in the least!
JE:-)>

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 12 Jan 2001 10:59 pm    

I'll second Jim West motion,"don't be a dummy,play a Zummy!!Zumsteel is my favorite too.I'd like to have another Zum in my collection with the split front cross inlay.

Lindley

Statesville, NC...USA
Post  Posted 13 Jan 2001 4:06 am    

Brett,
I am not a long time player, but I have learned a few things. I bought a new Emmons simply because I had one years ago, but didn't keep it long enough to learn to play it, and I live close enough to The Emmons Guitar Company to drive over if I have a problem. However, my advice to you is to buy a good guitar with at least 3 floor pedals, and no less than 3 knee levers. Buy what you can afford. None are cheap, and I found out that the guitar is just the "first" part of the investment. You need an amp (which will also add to the total sound"), and, if you're like most, you will buy instructional materials of all kinds. GET A GUITAR AND START PLAYING IT...The answers to your questions are all built into the process. You don't have to have the "top of the line" guitar to be a "top of the line" player. You could start with a single 10 string and evolve from there. You can learn the basics...Left hand bar control, right hand blocking, pick blocking, volume padal control, string grouping, and all the skills you'll need to play this mystery called a PEDAL STEEL GUITAR. Then you can go out and buy your "DREAM' steel. Just keep in mind that it is hard to find something if you don't know what you're looking for, and you may not like what other players prefer...Learn to play, and in doing that, you'll learn to hear...Then you'll know what to buy...Good luck, pal.. John Lindley

------------------
Steel crazy after all these years.
Emmons Lashley Legrande 111 S-10, Nashville 1000, Peavey Stereo chorus 212, Peavey Classic 50/410, Lexicon MPX 100

Grady Dodson

Huntsville, Al
Post  Posted 14 Jan 2001 9:06 am    

Try not to start spending a lot of money to get better sound and make you pick better.If Emmons played your guitar he would sound like Emmons.If you played Emmons guitar you would sound like you.Buy you a good quality guitar and amp and then practice,practice and practice some more.I'm gonna take my own advice and do the same.I have 2 Sierra's.A d-10 session and a S-10 Crown.Tommy White played my D-10 Session on Nashville Now.I can't play that well but it's not the guitar's fault.Just my comments for what they are worth.

------------------
Grady Dodson

Greg Derksen

Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 9:15 am    

Buy a Pro Steel and work your tail off so
that your steel sounds pro, don't get hung
up on the little tech things. Greg

Joseph V. Sapp

eastern shore, Md.
Post  Posted 15 Jan 2001 12:08 pm    

After reading all of the above,,,,its you and you alone that are the one that has to be happy with "YOUR" Steel. As far as the 2000 mile trip,,,,,A trip to Billy Coopers, in Orange, Va. might do the trick for you. He Carries Emmons,Sho-Bud,Derby,GFI, Zum, along with many used and rebuilt Steels. take a weekend,,,,or give him a call,,,,and have a time of your life....Him and his bride Wanda have helped me quite abit. Listen to your own ears and go with what sounds good to you.....keep picking and hope you find what your looking for....God Bless....

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2001 7:45 am    

I've never heard anyone say anything but good about Zum. There, I said it no pulling punches. In the last 3-4 years I personally think Zum has just about taked over the market in a truly professional guitar. I have an Emmons now but when I buy a new one it will definatly be Zum.

Jeff

I'm only a beginner so I know my opinion won't count for much but just look on stage at major shows and you will see Zum in force.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2001 9:24 am    

Quote:
I've never heard anyone say anything but good about Zum. There, I said it no pulling punches.
Well, I think they look funny!

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2001 9:45 am    

There it is. You heard it here FIRST.

Brett Gordon

Boston Area
Post  Posted 19 Jan 2001 6:13 pm    

Thanks to all the steel players for their input to my "high quality" guitar question. By the looks of all the reply posts I've gotten, I have a bit of data to sift through. Some of these posts have helped me network with some local folks.

Thanks,
Brett

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 2:30 am    

Is the Zum the best way to go for those that want a life time pedal steel?Which mod.do you like the best?

Terry Edwards

Florida... livin' on spongecake...
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 8:01 am    

Brett,

I bought a new Sierra Artist D-10 three years ago and I play it every day. I have not had any tuning problems. I did have a piece of hardware (mech stop) underneath break and Sierra (Don Christiansen) machined a new one out of steel and sent it to me right away. I am very satisfied with the support I recieved and I would suggest you give Don a call and discuss it with him.

Terry

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 3:02 pm    

While most all steels today are well made, there are some that are mechanically superior. Be that as it may, just about any of them will last 20 years, provided they are maintained and adjusted properly, and not abused in handling. Along with issues of durability, you also need to find one that has the options you want, and one whose sound and appearance is pleasing to you.

If you can swing it, I would suggest that you take a trip to Billy Cooper's steel store. (Check out his web site...listed here on the Forum links). GO THERE, and you can see, study, and get to play more steels than you can imagine. Billy has the largest stock, and more brands than anyone else.

Matt Martin

Palm Harbor, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 9 Oct 2002 4:15 pm    

Just hurry up and buy one and play it!!
Because you'll want to hurry up and buy another, & another ............