The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Marian Hall
Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2000 8:11 pm    

I recently watched a video collection of the 50's TV show RANCH PARTY ( Filmed in L.A. and hosted by the late Tex Ritter ). The Ranch Party house band's steel player was Marian Hall. Unfortunately this collection shows her taking only one short solo - on what appears to be a short scale nonpedal Bigsby.
She was a fine player. Does anyone know if she made any solo recordings ?

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2000 8:05 am    

Funny you should start this thread, since I just got a letter sitting on my desk here from Marian. I used to watch her on Ranch Party, and also Spade Cooley's all-girl orchestra. We met in the early 70's, before I moved to TX, when I was on Herschel Witt's band in LA. She recorded a lot but I don't believe she has any solo recordings.

Marian retired from playing back in the 1970's and invested in So. Cal. real estate. She did well and how lives in comfortable retirement in Laguna Beach. She still has her D-8/10 Bigsby, a double neck with 8 strings/no pedals and 10 strings with 5 (I think) pedals.

Without being indiscreet , Marian is now 65 and has a great amount of vitality, a youthful charm, and a cool sense of humor. And yes, she's still a babe IMHO!

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Homesite

Mitch Drumm

Frostbite Falls, hard by Veronica Lake
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2000 4:15 pm    

she had one single on box office records out of hollywood, presumably in the 60s. the titles are "first star" and "mirror mirror". i know it is the same marian hall because the disc comes with a picture sleeve, one side of which details her accomplishments on steel with spade cooley and the town hall party. the other side of the sleeve has a pen and ink type drawing of her.

i am not sure i have ever played it, and i assume it is a vocal??