The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  History of BMI (Beck Musical Instruments)?
Richard Shelley

Denver, CO, USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2002 10:41 am    

I'm just a rookie, so I don't know a lot about PSIs yet, but recently acquired what I feel like is a marvelously sound instrument (not to mention having a marvelous sound!), an approximately 20 year old D-10 BMI. Would be very much interested in any history, opinions or info on BMI.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2002 11:06 am    

Hey Richard. Congratulations. I bought my first steel, a BMI S-10, in 1984 from Zane Beck (Beck's Musical Instruments). It was a great first guitar. Came with what is today a highly regarded Lawrence 705 pickup (twin blade w/chrome surround). Played solid, sounded good, stayed in tune, it is fine intermediate level axe that is good enough to gig with. It lacks the refinement of a more modern top of the line steel but that doesn't at all detract from what it has to offer. There is a guy in Arkansas who is still making parts so you can add pedals or levers if you need to (I've lost his contact info--sorry). I can't help you on history but I can tell you that Zane Beck has a place in steel history as a picker and as a designer/builder.

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 10 Sep 2002 1:30 pm    

I had a BMI single 10, 3 pedals, 3 knees, played it for about 5 years. It was a great guitar, solid, in tune and sounded nice. I sold it to get a newer one with more knees. I saw Herby Wallace has a brand new, single 10 with 3 pedals, 4 knees for sale on the Forum Buy and Sell section right now for $1195.00. It was just built by the guy who worked with Zane Beck and did most of the building when Zane was still alive. This is probably a great deal for someone who wants a quality guitar on a budget. If I wasn't putting two kids through college right now, I'd buy it for a 2nd guitar. Enjoy your BMI and keep on pickin'!

Kim West

Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2002 12:00 pm    

GREG JONES, who lives in kentucky, has the motherlode of zane beck parts as far as i can tell. he repairs and rebuilds them (he sent me photos of a beauty he had been working on), and seems to know quite a bit about these things. you may contact him at zbmul65@aol.com. he's been very helpful. i've got a old, black sd-12 and a red d-10. i like them. i was glad to read the post about the tuning for the 12 string; i had not known what to do with mine, and am glad to had the right info--thanks, all.

[This message was edited by Kim West on 16 September 2002 at 01:18 PM.]

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 18 Sep 2002 7:24 pm    

Richard, BMI had a booth at St Louis. I am sorry that I cannot recall the peoples name who were running it even though I visited with them. Let me suggest calling or e-mailing Scotty as I feel sure he would have info on them.

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2002 10:36 am    

Hey Richard,
The guy who's currently building BMI's in Arkansas is Don Fritchie. I have a S-12 and I needed some parts so I went to the booth at Scotty's convention and told him what I needed. They were mostly small things such as a spring, and some of those small metal pieces which go on the rod next to the changer. He sent them to me at no charge and included a new red and black decal to go on my guitar as I'm refinishing the front panel. I don't have the info here at work with me today but I'll bring it with me and post it tommorrow. He's a nice guy to deal with.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2002 6:16 pm    

I have told this story many times and will try to be brief but I really enjoy letting folks know what kind of man Zane was. In about 1979 I had a cabinet shop business and a mutual friend of Zane and me brought Zane to my home. At the time I had a homemade guitar that I had built. Zane said he needed
a set of cabinets for his lake cabin and had heard that I would like a new guitar. He proposed that he would furnish measurements for the cabinets and I would build them and I was to tell him exactly what I wanted on a guitar and it would be an even trade and we would not get into any thought as to what the value of each was, just a trade. I agreed and he sent me measurements for the cabinets and I had told him I would like a D10, 8+5. I went to work on his cabinets and in about a week I returned home from work one evening and in my living room was a beautiful birdseye front D10, a volume pedal, a set of picks, two blue cords and a custom built Dalton Stone Pony amp with a JBL D30 speaker in it. That is the kind of guy he was. Several years later I did get a chance to somewhat even the score with him when he needed a second set of cabinets. During all those years he gave me many gadgets such as a Lil Izzy, Electra delay unit, a pair of George L pickups and never let me buy a set of strings. I have never known a more generous man in my life than Zane Beck.
Jerry

Walter Jones

Athens, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2002 7:21 pm    

Don Fritsche, BMI
Rt 1 Box 105A
Scranton, AR.

Phone; 501-938-2575 Home

501-938-2511 Work

I had the best luck getting to talk to Don by calling his home in the evening. He was very helpful and quickly supplied the parts we needed to get a D-10 BMI back in playing shape. Nice to do business with.

B. Greg Jones

Middleport, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 19 Sep 2002 8:16 pm    

Well Dad, I was just getting ready to post the # and address for Don, looks like you beat me to the punch!!!!!

Greg

Jerry Hayes

Virginia Beach, Va.
Post  Posted 20 Sep 2002 6:20 am    

Hey Walter,
thanks for posting the info, I forgot to bring it with me today so I'm glad someone else could give it to him...Have a good 'un.

------------------
Livin' in the Past and the Future with a 12 string Mooney tuning.

Kim West

Des Moines, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 7:17 am    

(someone wants to read this thread.)

Wayne Morgan

Rutledge, TN, USA
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2002 11:24 am    

Hey Greg, don't feel too bad,,Dad's are like that. Give them an inch and they will take a mile.
Wayne

Rick Ulrich

Gilbert, Arizona
Post  Posted 2 Oct 2002 12:56 pm    

Jerry Roller, that's a great story. Thanks for posting it. I never knew Zane Beck, but the memories of people like him need to be kept alive. I think we all benefit by gaining respect for people, whether living or not.