The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Question from newbie about amps
Bill Hisle

Shawnee, Kansas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 5:56 am    

I've been playing 6 strings for 30+ years and have recently taken the dive into pedal steel. It seems that the "Nashville" series amps are the standard for steel players. I was wondering why? I've seen some steelers use Twins, and a few other amps, but it seems the standard is the Nashville. Has this amp been designed and voiced for the steel guitar?

Andy Alford

Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 6:56 am    

Bill

Many of us love that tube amps for pedal steel.I like a Peavey Classic 30 or 50 along with a B.W. 12 0r 15 in. speaker.I will take the tube sound any day.

Larry R

Navasota, Tx.
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 7:09 am    

Bill, There are many varied opinions on what is the best amp for steel. Do a search for amps, tube amps, etc. You'll get an education on the types of amps used, the what fors, the how comes, etc.

Larry

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 8:00 am    

Bill,
You probably need to ask this question in "Electronics". If you go through the electronics section you will find a ton of varied opinions on amps.

Ron Randall

Dallas, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 8:19 am    

I too am new to the steel. Played 6 string and bass for about 30 years.

I hope this helps answer YOUR question.

A steel with 10 or 12 strings has some really big strings, some in the .070 range. Lots of bottom end compared to an electric guitar. If you were to strum 6 or 8 strings on the low side, it would rattle most amps.

Yes, Peavey has built several amps for the steel. The current production amp is the Nashville 1000.

Do a search on Peavey Amp chronology, which was posted recently, and you will see where the 400, Session, fit in.

The Fender Twin Reverb tube amp is also preferred by many.

Beyond that, there are many, many solutions that people are happy with. Everyone is right. If it sounds good and feels good it is good.

How or where the amp will be used is important. The Twin and the NV1000 are great on a big bandstand and at home.

A smaller amp that sounds good at home may not hold up for a big bandstand.

Hope this helps.

Mike Brown

Meridian, Mississippi USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 9:53 am    

Hello Bill,
Yes, the Nashville 400 and our latest version, the Nashville 1000 have been very popular in the steel guitar community. The '1000' is rated for 300 watts of digital power with a modified Nashville equalization circuit using the Black Widow speaker.

All elements of the Nashville Series of amps are designed around the parameter requirements of a steel guitar, ie; clarity, transparent power to amplify the wide frequency range of a steel guitar from the extreme low ranges of a C6th tuning to the E9th tuning and dependability.

Customer Service is very important to us and we offer a toll free consumer line in North America should you have a question about any of our products. The number is 1877-732-8391.

Mike Brown
Peavey Electronics Corporation

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 27 Sep 2002 12:03 pm    

Topic has been moved to the "Electronics" section of the Forum.