The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  'Verticals' - my problem solved!
Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2002 5:34 am    

In the recent 'thread' concerning the B to Bb knee lever, I mentioned that I'd always had a problem reaching the LKV on my LeGrande and had, therefore, never figured that change (lowering the 6th a whole step, split-tuned with the B pedal) into my playing.

Several people were kind enough to respond with some clever ideas, but I have to give special mention to Martin Weenick. His solution? A short length of pipe-insulation (for half-inch pipe) from a hardware store! It weighs nothing, compresses easily when the case-lid closes and, best of all, cost only .25c!

Of course, most of you don't have a problem with 'verticals' but, for the afflicted few with short legs who also play Emmons, this is a great idea!

Thanks, Martin!

(How about Ron Jr. sending out a six-inch length of it with every guitar? )

------------------
Roger Rettig (NTSGA #147): Emmons LGIII(8+Cool, Fender Stringmaster (0+0) and a Zumsteel D10 on order!!!

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2002 6:17 am    

One of the steel manufacturer's problem's over the years IMHO has been the vertical knee lever. Most of the (way too many)steels
I've owned have had that problem. The 2 best
solutions were a GFI & a Mullen that were adjustable enough for anyone to reach and still fold the lever out of the way to close the case w/o first having to get out your tool kit & take the guitar apart! A machinst
steel playing friend made me one (patterned after the Mullen) for my keyless Excel who's
vertical knee I could not reach.....not much
of any adjustment to it. Not an impossible problem to solve if the builders would tackle
solving it.

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2002 6:35 am    

Hi Doug,
The Zum also is very easy. Folds easily away by hand in the case, no tools required. Unfolds easily when set up, no tools required. Has 2 set screws, one for adjusting the vertical height, one for adjusting the tightness so that the vertical stays up, and doesn't drop down. Both set screws adjustable (if needed) within seconds by thumb and finger, no tools required, while sitting at the steel.

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2002 7:13 am    

Back in the "good old days" cases were blocked on both the bottom and top. This kept the strings, tuning pegs, and changers from touching the bottom, and knee levers from touching the top. The cases were a little thicker than today's but there was no need to worry about closing the case if a vertical was adjusted to hang down further than an inch or so.

My stock Dekley case, made by Thomas Custom Case, is built this way and I wish all manufacturers would use cases like this.

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2002 8:55 am    

Hey, roger, it ain't just short-legged folks who have this problem. I'm 6'5" or so, and I have to raise my left heel to reach the vertical on my LeGrande. So how does the insulation trick work, you just slip it over the lever?
God Bless!

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2002 9:33 am    

When I buy a new steel, I always specify the distance from the floor to the vertical lever. Sierra and Williams are both very accomodating about that.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2002 7:26 pm    

That's it, Stephen - on my guitar, at least, the extra half-inch of bulk is enough to bring the lever within reach. I haven't even had to affix it in any way.

I know, b0b, that some guitar makers have eliminated this problem but, in the case of the LeGrande, my LKV was extended downwards as far as it would go - maybe things on the Emmons should be different but they're not, although it's a great guitar in every other respect. This is a simple 'fix' that could hardly be less expensive!

------------------
Roger Rettig (NTSGA #147): Emmons LGIII(8+Cool, Fender Stringmaster (0+0) and a Zumsteel D10 on order!!!

Roger Rettig

Naples, FL
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2002 7:32 pm    

Stephen - a quick PS; I can't imagine that one could operate a 'vertical' without SOME lifting of the left heel, but I was having to pivot my foot onto my toes! Now it's a slight upward flex of the thigh, with my heel raising maybe two inches....

Winnie Winston

Tawa, Wellington, NZ * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Sep 2002 10:23 pm    

no one mention the vertical on the KLINE guirat that is, in my opinion, the best solution there ever was.
Can't even describe it in words, but the knee-lever is spring loaded to keep it up, and has a thumb screw adjustment for height.
When you fold it all up, you just flick the thumb screw and it all folds down into into the guitar.
Love it!

Winnie

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2002 5:52 am    

I'm not familiar with Carter's standard VL but the extended length lever on their (my) U-12 has a dogs-leg angle and set screw adjustability that makes it pretty easy to get well positioned. On my new P/P, I didn't even realize I had a VL, it was so far out of reach--I'm short--I couldn't reach it even on full tiptoe and this guitar is chopped down an inch! I've got a wood block duct-taped on right now while I consider my options.

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 15 Sep 2002 7:16 am    

Winnie, yes the Kline had what I thought was the best I had ever seen. Of course, I think the Kline is one of the finest guitars ever built. I did mention the Kline in the B-Bb thread mentioned above.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 16 Sep 2002 11:16 pm    

Every time Tom Bradshaw works on my Kline he mentions to me how much he loves the vertical knee lever design that Joe Kline came up with. I wonder why other steel makers don't take a page or two out of the old Kline book?