The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Custom Thumb picks by SADDLE
Richard McVicker

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2012 3:34 pm    

At a recent bluegrass festival, where I was a vendor, a Steel Guitar player was impressed with my new custom thumb picks. He suggested I introduce them to the steel guitar community. It is an ideal pick for the Dobro player because they can see the pick point. Yet I did not connect the Dobro style being similar to the steel guitar.
This pick operates differently from the conventional thumb pick in that it does not compress you thumb, but attaches by incorporating the 7degree taper of you thumb much like the thimble you mother used. I invented it because I was tired of my thumb hurting all the time. It is infinitely adjustable in size. Won’t snag on the strings or come off on the back stroke. Not available in stores yet it can be viewed and purchased at my web site. it is the most comfortable pick I have ever used.
www.saddlethumbpicks.com
Richard McVicker

David Graves

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2012 5:17 pm    

Richard... I just ordered one of the picks and I'll give you my "thoughts" on it soon. I play banjo, lead guitar, steel, even mandolin with finger picks and I"m always looking for a better thumb pick. Many years ago while on the road I found one that I loved similar to yours... but they quit making it. I hope this one works just as well. Thank you so much...

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2012 5:27 pm    

Looks awesome. Have you thought about the same idea for adjustable FINGER picks but with a metal strike?

I just ordered a set and will let you know how they work out for steel guitar.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 5 Jul 2012 9:50 pm    

I've never found a thumbpick I could wear for more than a few minutes, this looks very interesting. Do you sell internationally, and if so, how much?

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 8 Jul 2012 9:36 pm    

The upstroke feature is very interesting!

Jack Stoner

Kansas City, MO
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2012 2:43 am    

Interesting. My wife has small diameter fingers and has problems keeping picks on. I've placed an order and will see how that works out for her.

Kirk Eipper

Arroyo Grande, Ca.
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2012 7:11 am    

I don't think I have ever been able to do an upstroke with ANY thumb pick. This could be a real find.
'10 Williams 700 Series SD10 4+5/ '71 Emmons S-10 3+4/ '73 Emmons D-10 8+4/ GK MB 200/ Custom Tommy Huff Cabinets/ Webb 614-E/ Steelseat.com Pak-a-seat/ Magnatone and Fender lap steels/ Cobra Coil bars & Strings/ pod 2.0/ Peterson Tuners/Goodrich V.P./ Boss RV5/Teles and Martins

www.kirkeipper.com

Rick Schmidt

Prescott AZ, USA
Post  Posted 9 Jul 2012 9:37 am    

I've tried a few flat pick-connected-to-a-thumb-pick ideas in order to be able to play my 6 string at the same time as my steel, but none have worked out. I'm pretty committed to the big Golden Gate picks I use now for steel, but this is worth a try.

John Alexander

Post  Posted 9 Jul 2012 10:03 am    

Rick Schmidt wrote:
The upstroke feature is very interesting!

Finally! With our right thumbs fluttering like the wings of a hummingbird we'll now be able to play Dick Dale-style tremolo on favorite surfing tunes like Pipeline and Miserlou Whoa!

Billy Murdoch

Glasgow, Scotland, U.K.
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2012 2:04 am    

[/b]I have never Yet had a problem with Fred Kelly speed picks but curiosity got the better of Me an I bought a couple of these picks to try.
I do not play dobro or banjo so I cannot comment on their suitability for these instruments.
After fitting the pick as instructed the first thing I noticed was the position of the blade compared to
"regular " picks.
If You were to position Your thumb where You would pick the eighth string(using The "regular" pick) You would find that the blade of the new pick is roughly in line with the ninth string.This results in having to adapt Your playing style a little.
I sometimes strike the string at an angle,I still keep the pick flat on the string but rather than vertical it is at an angle(hope You know what I mean)I found that the new pick remained on My thumb but rotated as I struck the string.
I have no doubt I could get used to the new pick but I think it would mean that I would not be able to change to a regular pick with ease whereas at the moment I can use any of several brand picks at this time.
With respect,I think this pick is not for Me but You'll never know if You do'nt try.
Best regards
BIlly[/quote]

Richard McVicker

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 11 Jul 2012 11:10 am    

"Thanks Billy for taking the time to provide thoughtful and detailed feedback of your experience with the SADDLE pick. I intentionally moved the pick surface to the center and off the soft cushiony pad of the thumb to achieve greater control. It does take some time to get use to the dimensional change but most adapt in a short time. This is very different from the conventional pick that we have had for 50 years, it seems the folks that like it really like it, but it isn't for everyone. You have helped my understanding associated with using the pick on a Steel Guitar. I am a banjo player and I got tired of my thumb hurting all the time and for the banjo picker this pick will do 12 things my conventional pick can't do. Many people don’t initially size the pick tight enough, once they get used to wearing the pick tighter the rotation problem goes away. It can be tightened even after trimming, but make sure the strap end does not extend out the bottom of the pick head and catch on the strings. Billy thank you again for helping me understand more about Steel Guitar playing.

Richard McVicker
Inventor of Saddle Thumb Pick
Indianapolis, IN

John Castelletti

Post  Posted 12 Jul 2012 2:24 pm    

order placed. Very Happy

Howard Smith

Callison, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2012 10:32 pm    

Yea..I had to try this thing too. The upward stroke ability made me give this a try. I know the NAMM show is going on this week in Nashville. That would be a great place to get some exposure/input for your pick. Good Luck

John Alexander

Post  Posted 13 Jul 2012 1:32 am    

I ordered a pair on Monday at noon and received them by regular 1st class mail on Wednesday at noon - not bad! Smile

Richard McVicker

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2012 4:36 am    

Howard

Thanks for the heads up on the NAMM show. We are only 6 mo. old so all this is new to us. Hope to see you in St. Louis.

Richard

Howard Smith

Callison, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2012 11:39 am     Just Got My Saddles Picks

To get a comfortable fit with this pick is so simple. In fact with all the possibilities for adjustment, these will fit anyone comfortably. The best thing I noticed right away was how much better tone I am getting with this pick. It gives you a much better attack on the string than a standard thumb pick which gives just little when you strike the string. These picks don't give at all, and the result is a much more pleasing tone when they hit the string, as well as more volume if you so desire. It did take a short while to get used to these but with the improved tone I'm getting, I'm actually looking forward to practicing right hand stuff to really make a wrinkle and burn in the technique with these.

I am disabled with Stenosis of the spine, and after I sit up straight for awhile, both my hands go to sleep and I loose the feeling in my fingers. I can usually play for about a half hour or so before this happens, but now my with the more comfortable fit of this pick and much less pressure, my thumb hasn't gone to sleep, and I can't feel any pressure what so ever on my thumb(you can't even tell its on, it fits so good), like I did the standard thumb pick. I am very impressed with this new thumb pick. Along with the Sticky Picks product I found which keeps my metal picks on without being too tight, this is going to be a game changer for me. All I have to do now is get my right hand to do what I'm thinking, and no more worries about keeping the picks where I want them. Thanks for the great pick. I'm sure glad I bought two. Also you have set a new record for getting them to me. How'd you do that? Thanks again.

Greg Cutshaw

Corry, PA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jul 2012 11:58 am    

I got mine and have been using them for a few days. I'll have a detailed review for Pedal Steel with pics and sound samples up on the forum and on my web site by the end of this week.

Greg
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger

John Castelletti

Post  Posted 18 Jul 2012 9:25 am    

After a couple days of using it I can say the pick is extremely comfortable, but there are a few problems for me.

I have large hands and with the pick coming off the side of the thumb it makes the close grips (say strings 5+6) difficult to grab as the thumb and finger end up too close together and feels awkward, again this is probably fine for guys with smaller hands but my fingers have to curl up too much. This may be overcome in time with more practice.

The main problem I have is that the pick flexes too much for my tastes, especially where the band inserts behind the pick. It's a bit mushy and I can't get the same attack I get with the Fred Kelly or Golden Gate thumb picks I normally use. Also control of upstrokes felt about the same as the GoldenGate picks too.

I'm still going to keep working with the pick for a little while longer to see if I can overcome these issues just because it's so comfortable.

i would love to hear everyone else's experience with these picks.