The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Changing Strings
Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2002 6:21 pm    

I just changed my strings and used the same kind I took off. I use Cobra Coils.The ones I just took off have been on the Steel for a good year and a half.I have not broken any of the original ones I put on there a year and a half ago.I think the reason may be is I was told that when I put them on put the first wind on the opposit side and then cross over to the side you would originally wind them on.I think I heard this from Bobbe Seymour and a guy that was teaching me in R.I. Tony Palmer.I play this Steel every day for a couple hours and in the evening for a couple more hours.Is it the strings or the way I'm putting them on?? I hope I don't get in trouble putting this thread on.
Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 25 August 2002 at 07:23 PM.]

Buck Grantham

Denham Springs, LA. USA
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2002 7:04 pm    

Hey Sam,, Whatever you're doing don't change anything . Wish I could make mine last that long.

Gary Carriger

Victoria, Texas
Post  Posted 25 Aug 2002 7:38 pm    

Why would you want to make them last that long? They would have to be completely dead by that time.
Gary

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 6:23 am    

Sam.... You are pulling our leg right?
I'm with Gary.... Four hours of playing a day is more than I play, and I can't stand the sound of the strings after a couple of weeks they are so lifeless. I've used Cobra Coil in the past with the same results.

You know.... There is nothing quite like the sound of a fresh pair of nickle wound strings
in my opinion. I don't care much for the stainless steel strings. Everyone has their own opinion and taste, but still... new strings sound great!

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas
Emmmons/Mullen/Remington
Evans

Sam White

Coventry, RI 02816
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 7:07 am    

Steve I told a great steel player Skip Mertz as he sat behind my steel at the last MASGA and he said they sounded good to him and Skip is real fussy about his sound.They still had life in them and I'm not pulling anyones leg it is fact.I play four hours a day so that is more than most of you guys play at a gig.That is 28 to 30 hours a week or 1450 to 1560 per year.I have been learning for five and one half years that is 7975 to 8525 hours since I started to play. Man that is a lot of practicing.Maybe because it is a Fessenden Steel could be why the strings don't break. It is a wonder my fingers have not fallen off after all that practicing.And guess what I still can't play the Damn thing.
Sam White

[This message was edited by Samuel E. White on 26 August 2002 at 08:19 AM.]

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 9:43 am    

I believe that the Fessy's are good about breaking strings, but you might be running into intonation problems after that long too.

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 10:05 am    

My steel folds at the centre, thus taking all the tension off the strings. I have had the same set of strings on it since 1884. I just get to the gig and unfold that baby and I'm ready to go. It doesn't even need tuning. The strings sound as fresh as the day I put them on.

[This message was edited by richard burton on 26 August 2002 at 11:36 AM.]

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 10:49 am    

re: Fessy and breaking strings

I'm convinced it's all magic. When I first got my Fessy I broke thirds left and right -- at the usual place -- right over the changer finger, where it bends. I've used SIT strings for 20 years (or however long they've been making them) and always use .011 for the third. About five months ago I changed all the strings. The third that's on there now has been on since then and it still frets pretty true at the 12th fret but is starting to sound ragged.

The point is that in the same batch of strings, using the same technique to put the string on, some broke in a week or less, some lasted several months, and ONE lasted almost FIVE MONTHS. That's the longest I've ever had one last.
Just my observation.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Dobro

Ad Kersten

Beek en Donk, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 11:16 am    

Who is pulling someone's leg here?
Quote:
My steel folds at the centre, thus taking all the tension off the strings. I have had the same set of strings on it since 1884.

Richard, how do you go to your gigs after 118 years, horizontally ?

Ad

------------------
Zumsteel S12U

Yo, Man!homepage

richard burton

Britain
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 11:32 am    

I've had 118 years of practice, and I'm still nowhere near BE! Maybe it's that cabinet drop......

Ad Kersten

Beek en Donk, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 11:38 am    

You should NOT drop the cabinet (and that's the last remark I am going to make...one step further and this post will be transferred to Humor).
Ad

------------------
Zumsteel S12U

Yo, Man! homepage

[This message was edited by Ad Kersten on 26 August 2002 at 12:46 PM.]

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 6:28 pm    

Love those Cobra Coil Strings.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 6:55 pm    

Ol' Sam must be pulling our legs. He plays a Fessy. Now, if he had an old Emmons, he would have the ability to both push and pull our legs.

------------------
Lee, from South Texas

John Bechtel

Nashville, Tennessee, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 26 Aug 2002 9:19 pm    

I also go around the key post(twice with plain strings, and only once with the wound strings) and then cross over to the other side of the small hole to finish the wrap, but; the two reasons for this manipulation are: 1. to help avoid string slipage, and 2. to form a straight line of the string from the bridge to the gear post! It has very little or nothing to do with string life, although you know the old saying, (to paraphrase) the shortest distance {pedal change} from B to C# is a straight line! The 5th and 6th strings begin the wrap on the frame side of the hole. All other strings begin on the opposite side of the hole! The straight line means less friction and that could translate to longer string life, but; not likely! Just 54yrs. experience that has formed my opinions, which are "not" indisputable! "Big John" Thanks!