The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  ?? Emmons LLIII w/counterforce and L710 pups
Don Crawford

Buford, Ga USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2002 12:02 pm    

Just curious if anyone out there in forum land was using this. I"m thinking about putting L710's on my Emmons but wanted to see if anybody was using these p/u's on their Emmons and see what they thought about this combination. I would greatly appreciate any feedback you could give me on this.

I also think there is a special L710 you have to have to fit the LLIII with counterforce....what can you tell me about that. I greatly appreciate your input on this. THANKS

Don

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Aug 2002 12:10 pm    

Bill Lawrwnce makes at least 3 different sizes/shapes of the 700 series. I think most of them have 4 plastic tabs with screw holes, meaning two on each long side of the pickup.
I have one (712 actually) with two long tabs, one on each narrow end of the pickup. This is on a Sho-Bud.
I also have a 712 with no plastic tabs. Instead, the Lawrence people put two screw holes thru the pickup. The warned me not to try this at home since I might hit a vital organ drilling thru the pickup.

It works fine if you don't use any of the screw mounting methods, and just epoxy or glue the pickup in place.

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2002 7:18 am    

I have a friend, Steve Stallings, he has 710's on his blck Emmons and I've never heard a better sounding Emmons. Of course, Steve is a good picker.

Jeff

Don Crawford

Buford, Ga USA
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2002 4:15 pm    

Bump

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 15 Aug 2002 9:22 pm    

Don.
I assume you have the Emmons single coils?Is it the hum that bothers you? Or are you looking to change the sound of the mid range ETC.Tone is a personal thing of course.But to me nothing sounds better on an Emmons than the single coils.My opinion is worth ever penny it cost you. Regards.----bb

Steve Stallings

Houston/Cypress, Texas
Post  Posted 16 Aug 2002 7:44 am    

I guess I don't understand.... Is there any difference in the way a pickup is mounted on a LLII vs a LLIII? I do have BL710s on both necks of my black D10 Emmons. It is one heck of a guitar and is my main stage guitar. I also have a D10 Emmons with stock single coils. I like both guitars. The BL710 seems to have a little more "body"... but that is just my opinion.

BTW... Jeff Coffell is known to exaggerate

------------------
Steve Stallings
Bremond, Texas

Jeff Peterson

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2002 9:09 am    

For LLIII's, Bill drops the wires out of the center of the pickup to go through the hole on the counter-force block. On others, they are on the end. You also do not need to use the 'raise tubes' underneath the pickup for the mounting screws.

J Hollenberg

Vlaardingen, The Netherlands
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2002 9:47 am    

I had a L710-97 on my Lashley LeGrande for a few years untill I saw and heard Tommy White on his instructional video where he played his push-pull with original pickups.
I was forgotten that sound and put the original pickup back.It sounded great, more body on the low strings and you can hear the EMMONS sound the best on strings 3 and 5.For now I leave it on because I was forgotten how it should sound.

------------------

Don Crawford

Buford, Ga USA
Post  Posted 24 Aug 2002 5:58 pm    

Bump