The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Just got my 1st Steel Guitar
Dante Parel

Sacramento, California, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2002 11:58 pm    

Hello guys. This is my 1st post to the SGF. Seems like a great place. I've been reading alot here the past couple of weeks but just joined. Anyhow, I just bought my 1st steel guitar (a Carter Starter). I spent the last 3 1/2 hours putting it together, tuning it and watching the starter video. WOW! What a process just tuning the thing is. Pretty exiting though. I also just bought Bruce Bouton's video on ebay. Any advice on getting started? I got a steel bar but it seemed rather big? What size bars do you guys prefer? They had a catalog and mine looked like the bigger of the bars. That's all they had. Also on picks, what type of picks should I get. Forgot to get those..ooops. Are banjo picks the same thing you use for steel? I saw some national banjo picks on ebay.

For an amp right now I have a Silverface Super Reverb. It seems to sound ok. I'm sure I'll end up getting a big Peavey. Nashville 400 or something like that. I also have a Roland JC120 which I've seen guys use somewhere. I'll try that out as soon as I get a glitch fixed on it.

Anyhow rather excited about my new steel and the start of my new hobby. I've been playing guitar for about 14 years now and have always loved the steel guitar.

Chuck McGill

An hour from Memphis and 2 from Nashville, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 2:18 am    

Dante
Welcome to the most wonderful and stressful instrument in the world.Hang tough brother.

Chris Forbes

Beltsville, MD, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 2:55 am    

Hmmm, I thought Carter threw in some picks with the Starter package? Dante, dig around and see if they did, you might just have yourself some free picks.

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 3:57 am    

Hi Dante and welcome to the Forum!

Congrats on your new Carter Starter. Your local music store should have a selection of finger and thumb picks so you can compare and find some that fit well. As far as the larger bar, I'd recommend a smaller bar because they are much easier to handle. The Ernie Ball bar that Musician's Friend sells for $15 is a good size (get the 'heavy one'). Try to find a teacher or some other players in your area to help you with the techniques. And we're always here to help you when you need us!

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 5:16 am    

Congratulations. You might find that your guitar-playing experience will help in some respects and hinder you in others (as it did with me). Just hang in there because the result is well worth the effort.

gene brown

Bowie, Texas Montague
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 5:17 am    

Hi and welcome. I am learning to play steel also. There is lots of good material on the Forum. I recommend Jeff Newman. I think his is some of the best.Try to start off the right way.Get someone to give you some pointers,this way what you learn will be right. It's hard to break bad habits if you learn things wrong.Don't give up,work at it every day,and you will learn to play.Good luck. Gene Mullen D-10 Royal Peavy Nash. 400.

Brad Burch

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 6:21 am    

Don't dare give up that Super Reverb for a Peavey!

Dante Parel

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 6:55 am    

Oh no way! This SR is here to stay.

Dante Parel

Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 6:57 am    

Hey Gene. What have you bought of Jeff Newman's that you've liked? Where do you buy his stuff? Thanks.

jim milewski

stowe, vermont
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 7:39 am    

ditto's on the super reverb, play with the mids, give em a boost, you have a volume pedal I hope, a music store should have some Dunlop finger picks, they come in diffrent gauges, pick up an assortment of plastic thumbpicks, you may need to heat them to get them to fit, remember ...accuracy before speed

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 7:45 am    

The Silverfaced Super should sound great! Just throw in a little delay, verb and comp., get dem tubes cooking and it should sound awesome!!!

Welcome! This is a wellspring of invalueable info!!!!!!

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

CrowBear Schmitt

Ariege, - PairO'knees, - France
Post  Posted 20 Aug 2002 8:46 am    

Welcome to this great Forum Dante
if you look into LINKS at the top of the page, you will find Jeff Newman, Buddy Emmons
Paul Franklin methods from Tom Bradshaw, Ernie Renn,+ Scottys Musik.
Check out Online Steelers and see if ya' got any Steelers around your neck of the woods (or is round the block ?)
Glad to know you're another one among us that's got the Steel Fever.
You've come to the right place, it's a gold mine here.
Practice, Practice,+ Practice some more... get out + Play as much as you can too

gene brown

Bowie, Texas Montague
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2002 6:36 am    

Hi Dante. I bought his up from the top. It is two videos on the A and B pedal, the D lever, and the F lever. It is the best I have found. They all have tab with them,and tracks to practice with.It is kinda high,but well worth the money. I use mine every day.Like every one will tell you, practice every day, and you will get there. Gene

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2002 11:52 am    

Hey, Dante, welcome! All the video stuff helps, but get a teachr if you can find one. It's good to have some big ugly guy in your face, telling you what you're doing wrong!
BTW, do John and Ann include Valium with the Starter package?

Dante Parel

Post  Posted 21 Aug 2002 1:03 pm    

Hey guys. Wow, I have to say this Carter Starter seems pretty nice. Sounds good too through my Super Reverb. I've shared the stage with a handful of steel players over the past 7 years so I kind of have an idea of what sounds I like and don't like. I'm sure that'll change. Right now I'm using my Ernie Ball Volume Pedal but I'm going to get a Goodrich.

I think this steel playing is going to be a fun new adventure for me. I've been toying with some tabs I found on the net. Almost got the intro. to all my Ex's down. (pretty choppy right now) Waiting for my Bruce Bouton video to arrive.

I think I will try to find an affordable teacher. That would be alot of fun.

thanks again for all the help and advice.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 21 Aug 2002 2:23 pm    

Hi Dante.. Excellent news, Congratulations,

Your in great hands over here..

Good Luck
T Prior

Post  Posted 22 Aug 2002 7:10 am    

Dante, I'd like to recommend Frenchy's Steel Guitar course. It comes with six audio cassettes and a really well-done book that is so clear and organized that I'm sure you'll be satisfied. You can find his info at http://www.flash.net/~frenchys/

Jim Wiehoff

Houston, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 23 Aug 2002 10:05 am    

Welcome! I got my Carter-Starter back in January and couldn't be happier. Perfect guitar for us newbies. I also have Jeff Newman's Up From The Top video course. Its not cheap but I have learned a lot from it and still haven't absorbed it all. I also play at my church occasionally....playing with other musicians definitely pushes you to improve. Just beware...making "that sound" is addictive...my telecaster is getting jealous!

Best of luck to you!

[This message was edited by Jim Wiehoff on 23 August 2002 at 11:17 AM.]

[This message was edited by Jim Wiehoff on 23 August 2002 at 11:43 AM.]