The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Steel players with the Hinson family
Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 28 Jun 2012 9:42 pm    

I just would like the know who the steel player might have been on the original hinson family records im not sure if there was more than one just know i have heard steel on some of their records.I am talking about the old original hinson family gospel group.

Bryant Aycock

Pikeville, North Carolina
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2012 6:25 pm    

I believe it was Sonny Garrish. It's really good stuff.
Bryant

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2012 7:14 pm    

yes the steel playing on their records is really good.

Hal Higgins

Denham Springs, LA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2012 8:42 pm    

On most of their early stuff it was indeed the very tasteful playing of Sonny Garrish....still one of the top gospel steelers in the world.....
HAL...Excel D-10 w/ 8 & 5. SteelSeat.com w/back,SteelSeat.com Pedal Board on Legs with Quilter Tone Block 200 amp, Boss GE 7, Boss DD 3, Boss RV 6, Boss RT-20 Hilton Expression Pedal, Evans Cabinet with 4 ohm Eminence 15" speaker. BJS birthstone bar, Powder coated Tone bar by Michael Hillman. Dunlop Coated finger picks and Zookies L30 thumb picks.

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2012 9:24 pm    

there are some videos of them on youtube but it is on a show called gospel singing jubilee or something like that and the steel players could have been with the show.i saw atleast two different ones but no closeups so i could see who it was.

Paul King

Gainesville, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 5:37 am    

Sonny Garrish did the high 90% of the steel on their records. The last few years they travelled Scott Sanders was playing steel at their concerts. Today, Scott is doing session work in Nashville as well. Sonny Garrish has recorded with so many gospel artists and country artists as well. It will be interesting to see how many sessions he has played on. He has been recording for many years in Nashville. As far as the Hinsons go, they were my favorite gospel group followed by the Happy Goodmans who use a lot of steel as well.

Jerry Lee Newberry

Prim, AR USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 5:59 am    

Ronnie Moore used to play with the Hinsons. GREAT PLAYER!!!!!!!! He was pastoring a church, but now is trveling again as Ron David Moore. Preaching and singing. He did that a few years before he pastored a church. Haven't seen him in years. He played with other country groups before he started on his own. His brother Keith play bass with him. Keith also play bass with the Hinsons for a while and others if I'm not mistaking. We used to go get Ronnie and bring him to our house when he would come to Ft. Smith with the Hinsons. Jerry took one trip on the bus with them. We had some good times together.

Donna

Jerry Fessenden

Vermont, USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 11:17 am     Hinson's

I was at Hilltop yrs ago , and Doug Jernigan intoduced me to one of the Hinson's , He then said , got the C neck tuned up Doug? There were a lot of sessions with Doug ...JF

Daniel McKee

Corinth Mississippi
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 12:45 pm    

This is a group of singers i have just recently discovered and im glad i did lots of good singing and playing on their records.

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 7:51 pm    

Years ago I had a live Hinsons album ... I believe it was a recording they did in Osceola, Arkansas. If I remember right, the steel player they had on that live gig was a player named Ira Leonard Johnson. It was a great live album and filled with lots of great singing and the steel playing was excellent.

Along with the Happy Goodmans, Rambos, Statesmen, Oak Ridge Boys, Florida Boys and many others, the Hinsons were always one of my favorite Gospel groups. Smile
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)

Chuck Huffman

Sonora, California, Now Living in Siloam Springs, Ar. USA
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2012 8:31 pm    

In talking to Jack Smith, he told me he did almost all of the session work except for the last album or two. I don't think he toured with them it was just studio work. He did travel with the Goodman family for quite a while.