The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Speed Trap
Steve Kritz

Shadyside, Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 8:52 am    

Really need some help on this one guys.Have a chance to join a very good band real soon,however,don't have any confidence in my ability to play anything that is uptempo.Real confident otherwise.Say"forget it" or take a shot knowing the gun will be jamming most of the time or just go get a beer at the appropriate time and sit and enjoy.Sure would appreciate some solid advise.

Buck Dilly

Branchville, NJ, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 10:26 am    

Regardless of anyone's current speed, I believe that applying Joe Wright's principles will increase both speed and accuracy, even if you do not opt to use pick blocking. Please remember that fast and sloppy is still sloppy. I think that I learned this lesson the hard way, and I needed to go back and relearn everything. Use a metronome and be patient with yourself. Respect the process.

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 10:39 am    

Of course, you should get a course or two, and practice. And always use a metronome. But, when it comes to playing fast, there is almost no way you can do it without being on stage and going through the misery of learning to play fast. And it'll be very sloppy for sure. But that'll work it's way out over time as your technique improves and, as importantly, your mind learns to be focused and clear at high speeds. Then you'll be doing it. You will have to play out, and accept the sloppiness, to get to be a clean, fast player.

[This message was edited by Jeff Lampert on 17 August 2002 at 11:48 AM.]

Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 11:26 am    

Go for it Steve. I know exactly where you're coming from. I'm not a very good steel player either. Forget about trying to play stuff like the record and try to just stick around the chord changes for right now, or just get the guitar player to take the lead. Nobody in the audience knows the bloody difference anyway. If you're really in a bind to learn something you can always buy the tab. Tons of great sounding stuff can be played on strings 3 and 5, with just the A and B pedals. In my experience the gun doesn't jam most of the time. Just create parts that you can play, and as you get better, everything will fall into place.Now get out there and kick some ass!

Michael Holland

Nashville, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 11:34 am    

Play quarter notes and throw in some eighth notes when you're in a comfortable spot. Start with 3rd and 4th string harmonies using B&C pedal pushes.

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 11:34 am    

When I was a beginning pedal steeler I was playing in a band that only did a few fast songs and they were pretty basic. Then I joined a band with a hot fiddle player, ye gads! As Jeff said, practice and also just really sweating it out onstage and trying your hardest will get you there. I made progress to where I could easily keep up with the fiddle instrumentals. A side note, about 5 years later I quit for 16 years, now I'm in the same boat you are again! Fine slow to medium but fast, I lost it. Oh well.

Matt Steindl

New Orleans, LA, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 2:17 pm    

Dont freak yourself out! The only way to see if you can swim, is to dive into the deep end. I am a firm believer that even the smallest amount of talent will rise to the top when you jam w/ people that might be at or above your level.

The worst that can happen, is a little bit of embarasment. GO FOR IT! One night of jamming w/ real people is better than a month of playing alone.

------------------
Mattman in "The Big Sleazy"-:
S-10 Dekley, Suitcase Fender Rhodes, B-bender Les Paul

Tommy Mc

Middlesex VT
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 2:45 pm    

Steve,
I suffer from a similar speed problem. If you can work your licks up to lightening speed that is great, but you CAN play fast songs without speed licks. If all the other instruments are going at warp speed, some slower rythmic licks, and slide chords can create contrast and actually highlight your instrument. If you can't play fast, pretend you are trying to play with good taste. Works for me.......

Bob Carlson

Surprise AZ.
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 8:02 pm    

I'd take the gig and be honest with the band and crowd that you don't have the fast stuff down yet. They'll love ya for being honest.

Bob.

[This message was edited by Bob Carlson on 17 August 2002 at 09:03 PM.]

Jeff Coffell

Killeen Texas
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2002 12:23 am    

Jef Newman's "NO SPEED LIMIT"

JC

Mike Delaney

Fort Madison, IA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2002 3:30 pm    

Consider The Incredible Speed Picking Course by Weldon Myrick and Hal Rugg. Scotty's has it for a whopping $12.50. I first heard of it in one of these threads, best thing I ever tried.

As for the band, go for it; you'll keep up. The best advice anybody ever gave me about performing was Kimo Williams at Berklee. He said "Don't mess up a mess up. Make it good and loud." (He may have used a different word than "mess")

Jeff Lampert

queens, new york city
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2002 4:20 pm    

Steve, I posted the the following post to a similar thread some time back. This will I think help get you going a bit, until you pick up a course. You should strive to play these at speeds of around 120-140 beats per minute (get a metronome. It's a must). Start around 90-100 and work your way up. When you get to 120, then you're in the area of most up tempo songs. Get to 140, and you can probably keep up with a fiddle. No time like the present. Start tonight. When you get up to speed on these, ask the Forum for some speed licks. I'm sure you'll get plenty. Ok, here's that post. .. Jeff

"I will describe a basic picking process that you can learn quickly. IMO, the easiest speed picking and the first most of us learn is alternating your thumb and middle finger (some players use first finger instead of the middle. Most I believe use the middle). The following are some licks that can be played fast. "R" is the knee lever that raises strings 4 an 8 a 1/2 tone. "T" = thumb. "F" = finger. They're in the key of G and use 4 basic G scale frets - 3rd, 6th, 10th, and 13th (for a seventh chord). The first 4 lines use alternating fingering and the last has a pedal movement. I believe that with some practice you can play these at fast tempos and that it will help get you on your way to speedier playing. The next step is to expand your positions and ability to go up and down the 10 strings at the same fret, but that wouild come later. For now, just being able to play some basic licks fast is what you want and I think these will help get you going, hopefully. The main thing you need to do is practice alternating the thumb and finger. You should always use a metronome to help anchor your speed and consistency. Figure out the speed of the song, and set the metronome to it. You must do this or else you will not be prepared for playing live at the required speed. You may think you are, but you won't be. Get a metronome ... They cost less than $20 and are invaluable. If you need any other help or ideas for some licks, you're welcome to e-mail me and I'll try to help out. Regards, Jeff"

1__________3__________________6___________________10__________________13__________

2_________________________________________________________________________________
3____3________________6__________________10b__________________13__________________
4_______3______3_________6R______6R__________10_______10__________13_____13_______
5_________________________________________________________________________________
6_________________________________________________________________________________
7_________________________________________________________________________________
8_________________________________________________________________________________
9_________________________________________________________________________________
10__F__T__F____T_____F___T___F___T_______F___T___F____T_______F____T___F___T______

1_________________________________________________________________________________

2_________________________________________________________________________________
3_________________________________________________________________________________
4____3____________6R____________________10____________________13__________________
5_________3______________6a________________________10a________________13a_________
6______3_____3_______6________6______________10b________10b_______13_______13_____
7_________________________________________________________________________________
8_________________________________________________________________________________
9_________________________________________________________________________________
10___F_T__F__T____F_T___F___T___________F____T_____F______T____F___T_____F____T___

1_________________________________________________________________________________

3_________________________________________________________________________________
4_________________________________________________________________________________
5_________________________________________________________________________________
6____3______________5____________________10b_________________13___________________
7_________3________________5______________________10__________________13__________
8______3______3_______5R_______5_____________10________10________13________13_____
10___F_T__F___T____F__T___F___T___________F___T___F_____T____F____T____F____T_____

1_________3______________3______________3_________________repeat_at_frets_6_10_13_

2_______________________________3_________________________________________________
3___3____________3_______________________________3________________________________
4______3_____3_______3______3_______3_______3__________3__________________________
6_________________________________________________________________________________
10__F__T__F__T___F___T___F__T___F___T___F___T____F____T___________________________

4____3________________6R__________________10___________________13_________________
5______3a_~_3____________6a_~_6_______________10a_~_10_____________13a_~_13_______
6______________3_________________6_____________________10b__________________13____
10___F__T______T_____F___T_______T_________F___T________T________F__T________T____

Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2002 5:42 pm    

Steve, jumping in is not the only way to learn to swim. I used to play E9 chicken-lickin' licks very fast and I learned to do it by playing lots of "trick" licks (the E9 tuning is full of them) and playing along with Jeff Newman's "Steel Tracks" tapes. Also I am a pick-blocker, which helps. If you cut about 1/4 inch or more off of the loop end of your thumb pick (the part that wraps around your thumb) then you can use that side of your picking thumb to help you block. This is very helpful for speed picking. I believe Paul Franklin does this also. I highly recomend it. Anyway, TRICK LICKS is your answer. A lot of trick licks don't sound good at all unless they're done at high speeds. By "trick licks", I mean licks that repeat over and over when you play them or licks that can be played the same way on the same strings but with different pedals and/or in different positions and sound hot played fast. I'll bet if every forum member here who has been playing E9 for several years were to tape record and tab out their 3 favorite trick licks we could put together a speed picking encyclopidia that would be very helpful to guys like you. We should try to do that. Don

Richard Sinkler

aka: Rusty Strings -- Missoula, Montana
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2002 5:51 pm    

I've never been what I would call a fast picker. Fast songs used to scare the hell out of me. I would just try and play as fast as I was comfortable playing. I would rather play slower and not hit a bunch of clunkers or get lost (and look like a fool) than to play fast and have those things happen. Practice is the only way to pick up speed. I just never placed a high priority on it.

Good luck.

------------------
Carter D10 9p/10k
Richard Sinkler

Larry Jamieson

Walton, NY USA
Post  Posted 18 Aug 2002 7:16 pm    

One of the best ways to learn an instrument is to play it, and play a lot! It also helps to play with people who are better than you, so that you learn to keep up with and play with other musicians. I had only played steel about one year when I joined my first band. Over the last 28 years I've gotten lots of practice, 3 or four hours at a time, playing gigs. Go for it! It also helps to play with recordings at home. Put on some up tempo tunes you know, crank up the volume, and play along. Improvise a steel part that you can handle, and work up fom there. Practice... Good Luck and keep on picking!

Roger Andrusky

Waterford, PA, USA
Post  Posted 19 Aug 2002 8:19 am    

In the "For What It's Worth" department, I had a wonderful conversation with Jerry Brightman about this subject. His advice was to think several notes ahead of where you want to pick. In time, your brain will construct the notes before you play them and they will actually flow from your hands naturally. It does work, but in the beginning it takes time.

By the way, Jerry is probably the fastest steel picker I have ever heard in person. He played for Buck Owens among others and is a fabulous gentleman.

Anyway, hope that helps. - Roger