The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Bought an Emmons P/P, Sounds Good!
Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 11:09 am    

Well, I didn't think I would do this, I was pretty happy with my Carter U/12, but I just got an Emmons push/pull, one of the later models. Here it is:

I still believe in the universal concept, but this is something that I wanted to try. Right off the bat, I CAN tell the difference in the sound. This is the first guitar I've had the sounds good plugged straight into a headphone amplifier, with no reverb or effects. I have to replace one tuner, it was broken by UPS, but otherwise, it's in excellent shape, looks like it was hardly ever played. Everything works well except that I can't seem to lower the 4th string quite enough, almost, but it's a hair sharp. So now I guess I'll play with both the Universal and the D-10, and see what develops. I finally know what you push/pull fanatics are talking about.

------------------
Bill Moore

my steel guitar web page

Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 11:31 am    

Bill, Welcome to the club, if you want to lower string 4 further, you need to increase the travel on the string 4 raise. Check out this great site on Emmons set ups http://www.cadvision.com/laceyj/guide.html

Rex Thomas

Thompson's Station, TN
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 11:33 am    

Looks like a BABE to me!

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 2:13 pm    

Does your Carter have BCT?

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 3:35 pm    

Hi Bill, yes you are right , there is a slight difference in the sound, no doubt about it.

I had 3 PP Emmons in my life and they do sound and play great , when they are properly adjusted.

I used to get frustrated trying to adjust mine with a lot of complicated pulls. I suppose I could have paid to have one of the experts to adjust it.

If you ever want to sell that Carter S12 back to me, I'll take it. I have a D10 2001 with 8/5 and would like to go back to a S12.

I'm sure you will be happy with your PP Emmons......al

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 4:39 pm    

Jim, My Carter does have the BCT, and it does sound good, this is something I just wanted to try.

One of the advantages of being a rank amatuer, is that I probably have time to mess around figuring out how this thing works. Fortunately, the guitar works almost perfectly, very smooth and easy, just that e will not quite lower enough.

Al, I still like the Carter 12, and the concept of the Universal tuning. I just wanted to see if the Emmons mystique was true. I guess that I should be comparing this to the D-10 MSA that I had. It seems to be easier to play, and the sound is very different. In the long term, I'm not sure what I will like best. If I decide to sell the Carter, I will let you know. Right now, I like them both. Time will tell.

Bill

Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 7:12 pm    

bill, congratulations. I got my first pp a month ago, and the moment I sat down I knew what all the pp fans were saying. There's tone and then there's TONE, and the pp has it.

Now, before anybody starts yelling about how good their all-pulls sound, let me say this. Most of what makes any steel sound good is the player, but having said that, the pp is just one incredible instrument.

Reggie Duncan

Mississippi
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 8:29 pm    

OK! The word is out! Now what about the rest of you guys!

Steven Welborn

Ojai,CA USA
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 8:48 pm    

"Praise the Lord with skill on a push pull instrument with ten strings."

Jim Phelps

Mexico City, Mexico
Post  Posted 17 Aug 2002 9:31 pm    

That's a beaut! Hey, what kinda pickup can I put on my MSA to make it sound just like a P/P? (I'm ducking now!) Honestly, that's a great-looking and I'll bet great-sounding steel. Have to get one, one of these days.