The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Sticky Picks
Howard Smith

Callison, South Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2012 12:43 pm    

Just wanted to make sure that everyone who uses Finger Picks, knows about Sticky Picks. Invented by famous PSG player Wayne Hobbs Apply to your finger tips with the easy applicator bottle, and within just a few seconds your picks are on tight. I was finding myself scrambling to get them off the floor or snagging the back of my pick on a string and loosing them. NO MORE! This stuff works great, and leaves no residue at all. Check it out at... http://sticky-picks.com/

William Gothard

North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2012 3:23 pm     Sticky Picks

I've been using Wayne's "Sticky Picks" for about 2 weeks now and it works just as advertised. I couldn't keep my thumb pick from shifting no matter what size or shape the pick might be. Sticky Picks has solved that problem forever. It comes in an easy to use applicator bottle. Just rub the applicator top over your fingers and in a couple of seconds your picks are set for the evening. Sticky Picks doesn't leave any residue or smell. When you need to remove your picks, they will come right off with a gentle tug. This is a great new product that I really pleased with.

Junior Knight

Eustace Texas..paddle faster..I hear Banjos...
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2012 7:12 am    

I tried it for the first time last nite and it works PERFECT!! great stuff! Hats off to my friend Wayne Hobbs for a great product!!!

Jagwire Strings
Facebook/ Junior Knight, Steel Guitar

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2012 7:00 pm    

Hey, Howard! What part of S.C. are you in? If you're anywhere near Saluda, there's a GREAT steel guitar convention there, 4 times a year. Started by Buddy Walker and Charles Reese, both of whom are gone, it's run by Charles' son Jerry, Joe Turner, and David Christmas now. Proceeds go to Shriners' Hospitals, and a good time is guaranteed. Hall of Famer Ron Eliot will be there in August, and HOF member Russ Hicks is up for November. Come enjoy yourself! Great back-up band, too.

Dave Bertoncini

Sun City West, Arizona USA
Post  Posted 29 Jun 2012 8:13 pm    

Got a chance to try out Sticky Picks tonight and not only do they make the picks stay on better, but seem to improve tone because you don't have to be tentative when picking the strings giving a more solid contact...great product

Jim Lindsey (Louisiana)

Greenwell Springs, Louisiana (deceased)
Post  Posted 2 Jul 2012 9:10 pm    

From the time I started playing steel in 1976 I always wore my picks way out on the ends of my fingers ... it was just what worked for me, but there was always one issue: my picks working loose or falling off. I soon found a product called Rosin-It, a spray rosin that held them on perfectly and I used it faithfully from 1977 until 1998 when it suddenly disappeared from the market (apparently, the company that made it either went out of business, or, simply quit producing it).

From 1998 until present day I was lost when it came to keeping my picks on ... a never ending battle and no matter what I did or tried, no success ... my picks always continued to come loose.

After an accident that caused severe radial and ulnar nerve damage in my right arm and hand, it got even worse ... my fingers produce no moisture of their own and moisturizing lotions don't work for me. I launched into using a multitude of stick'em type accessories, including Gorilla Snot and other products like it, and nothing worked for me to keep my picks on.

I even tried a variety of hairspray products, including Rave 5 which I'd been told worked really well, but no luck at all. In desperation, I even tried things like Elmer's Glue and other items like that and finally resigned myself to the battle of trying to keep my picks on without success.

It seemed that everything that seems to work well for everyone else didn't work for me at all.

A few days ago I saw a reference in a post about Sticky Picks and looked up their web site. Always willing to try something to keep my picks on, I ordered a bottle of it.

First, I'd like to say that the service was really fast! I ordered it online at about 11:30 PM and the following morning bright and early received an email that my Sticky Picks had already shipped! Smile

It arrived today and I eagerly gave it a try ... WOW! ... I just completed an almost six hour set of practicing on my steel and not only did the Sticky Picks keep my picks firmly in place, it was very comfortable and didn't give me that "glued on" feeling like Rosin-It did all those years ago.

I am so impressed! This stuff is great and I really feel more gratitude than I can possibly express to Wayne & Terry Hobbs for coming up with this wonderful product. Very Happy

Wayne and I have corresponded a bit in emails the past two or three days and he is a super guy. I highly recommend Sticky Picks for anyone who has difficulty keeping their picks on.

Wayne, if you happen to read this, THANK YOU, THANK YOU, THANK YOU for coming up with this product! It really is, for me, an answer to prayer!
ProCo RAT R2DU Dual Distortion - Korg DT-1 Pro Tuner (Rack Mounted) - Furman PL-8 Power Bay
Goodrich Match-Bro by Buddy Emmons - BJS Steel Bar (Dunlop Finger Picks / Golden Gate Thumb Picks)

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 4 Jul 2012 7:00 am    

I purchased a bottle of Sticky picks for my 83 year father. He loves to play his steel but has a challenge keeping his picks on.

Before I gave him his bottle, I tried it myself.

I relunctantly gave Pop his bottle and immediately ordered a bottle for myself.

Yes, I have always licked my fingers in the past to make my picks secure but-------this stuff is the bomb.

I love it. Great product!

Sid Hudson

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2012 6:15 am     yes great product

I see and have tried many new products
folks have made for steel guitar player
and I must say sticky picks is great!!
Wayne has hit a home run on this product
mighty fine stuff
Very Happy Very Happy

Richard McVicker

Indiana, USA
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2012 2:07 am    

Howard

Picks come off for one reason. The taper of the finger is greater than 7 derees. That is to say that as you look down on your finger the sides are not parallel. They look more like the letter "A". Also the pad of the finger is at an angle greater than 7
degrees. A cylinder 7 degrees or less will jam on the finger, greater will not hold. This is the principal used in the SADDLE thumb picks and the same would apply to finger picks. That is why some people do not have a problem with picks comming off.
The solution is to move the contact fingers back so they engage a more of the cylinderical surface, but now the pick point would need to be longer.

Richard mcVicker

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 16 Jul 2012 9:28 am    

This thread is about Stickey Picks not Saddle thumb picks. Neutral
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!

Mike Archer

church hill tn
Post  Posted 23 Jul 2012 2:00 pm     sticky picks

well ive used sticky picks now for 2 weeks
it is a top notch product they wont come off untill you pull them off as stated in the ad

as for picks coming off I have artritis in my fingers so swelling is an issue for me
I use JN picks they are pre bent ive used them for
as long as he has sold them just these lasy few years have I had the loose deal going on

so im sold on sticky picks for good.... Very Happy