The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  J. Byrd / G. Morgan
Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 4:28 pm    

I know Jerry logged studio time with just about everyone under the sun, but how about George Morgan ? Is Jerry on any of those old Morgan 78's ( Columbia Records ) ?

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 5:22 pm    

I don't recall whether he was on any of George Morgan's records or not, but George appeared on a number of WSM radio programs in the 50's that featured JB as the staff steel player. Rod Brassfield was also a regular on these shows.

take care,

carl

[This message was edited by C Dixon on 11 June 2000 at 06:23 PM.]

Al Johnson

Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Post  Posted 11 Jun 2000 6:39 pm    

In the early 1950s I saw George Morgan in
person in Iowa and his steel man was Jerry
Byrd. Jerry played one solo that night, St
Louis Blues. Also during that same time
frame, George had a radio series with Robin
Hood Flour, with Jerry Byrd, steel. Al

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 3:15 am    

If my memory swerves me correctly,and these days it is worse than ever, Jerry told me he did not play on the Morgan recordings and that Billy Robinson did. However I'll contact Jerry and find out for sure.

------------------

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 6:40 am    

Thanks C.C.. And while you've got Jerry on the line - be sure to mention to him that we'd love to see him show up at Joliet this year.

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 9:07 am    

dave, that is under consideration but nothing definite. As soon as Jerry tells me I'll post. cc

------------------

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 9:47 am    

Dave this may take a little longer for an answer about Morgan as Jerry is quite busy doing a thing for PBS; a spot in a movie about Waikiki, and is leaving for Japan to do a concert and also to cut a CD. He will, as always answer as soon as he can. cc

------------------

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 10:41 am    

Didn't George Morgan sing "Mr. Ting-a-Ling" for Little Roy Wiggins?

Garryharris

Hendersonville, TN USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 10:42 am    

If Jerry Byrd didn't play on "Whistle My Love" sung by George Morgan then I was badly fooled. This was about 1952.
I read a letter by Buddy Killen written to Kelso Herston stating that he was as happy as he had ever been. He was playing bass for George Morgan and Jerry Byrd was playing steel..In the letter he included a picture of his "new" car, a 1950 Pontiac. I mentioned this to Buddy at Kelso's sons funeral a couple of years ago and he said, "Yes, I loved that car and GMAC repossed it". This from a man who sold Tree Music to Sony for millions.

Al Johnson

Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 6:57 pm    

You are right Bobby Lee about George and Roy.
Some where in my memory I seem to recall that
Jerry & Roy did twin steel and at least a
couple songs on Columbia. Al

Walter Jones

Athens, Ohio USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 7:17 pm    

CC you are right about Billy, I know he was on some of George Morgans recordings. At the Portsmouth, Ohio Steel Expo last year Billy was presented with a plaque that had the test pressing record mounted on it of "Candy Kisses." Ed Naylor found it somewhere and fixed it up for Billy and it was quite a surprise. Billy is a good friend and will be up here for the show that Ed sponsors,it will be 23 &24 of this month.Anyone can get the details in the announcement section. I don't know how Ed can top that one this year, we will just have to wait and see. I know Billy played a lot like JB then, I have a large picture that he gave me taken in Germany when Billy was 18 with Hank, Red Foley and a Opry crew that went over there for a month. I am sure you might have seen it, Billy has told me a lot of stories of that trip.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2000 6:55 am    

Jerry did indeed play on many radio programs featuring George Morgan. So did Little Roy Wiggins later. I have tapes of both. Thanks to my dear friend Wayne Tanner in San Antonio.

George loved the steel guitar. And loved to tell the audience how much he thought of his steel players. Roy loved George Morgan to death.

Just the opposite of Eddy Arnold. He resented people liking the steel licks. HE is on record telling Little Roy to tone down because the audience was clapping louder for the "tinga-ling" than for "Eddy Arnold"!!

He made 75 million dollars in his rise to fame using Little Roy Wiggins. Roy was, and died, nearly broke all his life.

Tells us something about brotherly love.

God bless Roy and may HE rest his soul,

carl

Ray Montee

Portland, Oregon (deceased)
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 9:27 am    

When I was Secretary of the Jerry Byrd F.C.
I recall JB leaving Ohio and returning to Nashville to play with George Morgan. I'm confident that is JB on Whistle My Love and several others of that era. Wayne Tanner also gifted me with "a copy" of the Robin Hood Flour Show. How many such tapes do you have? I'd enjoy any additional copies possible. THANX

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 11:32 am    

A bit of Jerry Byrd trivia. Jerry once told me that when the session for "Almost" was done, the lead guitar was to play the melody line and Jerry was to play the harmony. Some where along the recording process, the lead guitar didn't come thru for the final pressing and as a result, you only heard Jerry's haromony line on the released version. Its been so long since I heard the record, I can't remember if it was the intro or the turn around.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 2:04 pm    

Ray,

I don't know now how many tapes I have. I am sure Wayne gave you everything I have. I just know I have a tape(s), with JB playing with George Morgan because George even announces JB on several intros.

take care man,

carl

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 7:07 pm    

Hey Dixon! What'd ya think of "One Rose" and "Little Red Wagon" on those tapes, to mention only two? Great stuff. Wayne was a wonderful guy to share with us.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 16 Jun 2000 6:33 am    

Yesssssssssssssssss Ray!!

Afirmative on JB tunes and Wayne Tanner. One of the most precious men I have ever known is Wayne. Truly a man of GOD.

He probably has evey recording JB ever did. If there is one that he does not have, it has to be extremely rare.

Take care Ray, and God bless you friend in your trials and tribulations of late. HE never promised us a bed of roses on this earth. What he did promise was eternal life. I will 'opt for that any time,

carl

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 1:54 pm    

I recived Jerrys letter today concerning his playing with Morgan."You guys have better memories than I.I worked with him for anout a yr until his regular steenman got out of service.I did some things w/him but I don't recall the titles.We did the robin hood f;ower segments and weny to Springfield, Mo to do them every 5 wks.Also a session with him and Rosemary Clooney but I don't remember the songs.I don't remember a session with Row Wiggins and I both Playing.I have no definite plans for Joliet. At my age I'm only concerned with next week" Even though I used quotation marks this is not word for word but it is accurate.

------------------

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2000 10:43 am    

Another note from Jerry today. He believes it was 1952 and he thinks he was on ALMOST,BESURE YOU KNOW,and WHISTLE MY LOVE.He said he would have to hear them to be positive.

Kenny Dail

Kinston, N.C. R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2000 10:54 am    

ccj, Jerry was on ALMOST and he did make the remark about the steel playing the harmony and the guitar doing the lead line for an instrumental intro and/or turn but the guitar track was not on the released version. Consequently, as tated above, only the steel harmony line was heard. Perhaps someone may have a recording and can qualify this statement further.

------------------
kd...and the beat goes on...

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2000 1:25 pm    

kenny, I sent Jerry a printout today of your comment and maybe that will jog the okd man's memory. I think his is a;most as bad as mine.

------------------

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 23 Jun 2000 5:40 pm    

First let me thank you guys for the great input on this post.Just today I found a beaten - up copy of the 78 with Jerry backing George Morgan / Rosemary Clooney. The titles are " You Love Me Just Enough to Hurt Me" / " Withered Roses". Ofcourse Jerry should have had top billing ! Here's another nice one I found with Jerry / Jimmy Wakely : " Someday You'll Call My Name " / "I Wish I Had a Nickel"

c c johnson

killeen,tx usa * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2000 2:40 am    

Dave, I sent Jerry a snail mail printout of your post also. Have fun! cc

------------------

Ray Montee

Post  Posted 24 Jun 2000 4:37 am    

Dave! Jimmy Wakely's "You're Only In My Arms to Cry on my Shoulder" will give you shivers. From the very first note of the intro and all of the way thro' with exceptional back-up and of course the entire "center section". This is one of those tune that was almost written for Jerry Byrd!

Al Johnson

Sturgeon Bay, WI USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2000 6:37 am    

In going thru, as my wife would say, my junk!
I found this July 24, 1961 Byrd Booster fan
club report. Jerry Byrd wrote and signed.
"Byrd of Paradise" new album is doing well.
Recently finished with other artists, 2 albums by Ferlin Husky on Capitol/Christmas
LP with Louvin Bros on Capitol/LP with Harlan Howard on Capitol. Singles with Billy Walker/Ralph Emery/Billy STrange/George Morgan(using 2 steels-Roy Wiggins and myself)/guess where I got the idea they played together.JSerry also just finished 4
sides of his own for singles. Busy man. Al