The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  New Lap Player
Kevin Reckmo

Tucson, AZ, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 8:38 pm    

I'm buying a new Sierra Lap Steel, 8 strings, C6th tuning. Don at Sierra guitars inquired how I wanted the string order configured on the neck? Anyone have an opinion (heh, I'm sure ppl do) with valid reasons for the order they prefer? Please let me know. Also, I am interested in obtaining a book or two regarding tips, tricks, etc. pertaining to C6tunings on lap steels or just lap steel playing in general. I see Joe Wright has a couple of scale books for sale at his website. Any help would be appreciated greatly.

On the flip side....

Rich Young

Georgetown, TX, USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2000 8:48 pm    

There's a lot of good tunings, but the one I've had the best luck with is the C6th tuning with the G on top low to high -
A,C,E,G,A,C,E,G
and you can kick the low A up to a Bb, for C 13th, which gives you a lot of cool chord voicings on the bottom.
If you've ever played slide guitar in open A or G tuning, you'll relate real quick, is the same thing, with the addition of the 6th tone, just kick up a couple of keys.

The Mel Bay "Basic C6th nonpedal lapsteel method" by DeWitt Scott is a good starter book and the Cindy Cashdollar videos were a great help when I was starting out (all of 2 years ago!). Plus some great players hang out here, with lots of good ideas.