The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dick McIntyre recordings
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2000 6:03 am    

I'm really embarrassed to admit it, but I don't have any Dick McIntyre recordings. How about some recommendations. Anything on CD?

Thanks

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2000 9:30 am    

Bob: I don't have any Dick McIntire either; he seems to be badly neglected in the Hawaiian anthologies. I do know of a couple of CDs which include his work though. One is a great Harlequin collection called "Tickling the Strings: Hawaiian Music, 1929-1953" (this album also includes other underrepresented players such as Andy Iona and Kanui and Lula). The other is a Dorothy Lamour anthology called "Moon of Manakoora."
For Hawaiian music in general, the Harlequin catalogue is a great resource. They have only a handful of Hawaiian albums, but they're all superb. http://www.slipcue.com/music/labels/interstate/interstatemain.html

[This message was edited by Ian McLatchie on 17 June 2000 at 10:48 AM.]

Dave Mayes

Oakland, Ca.
Post  Posted 17 Jun 2000 10:18 am    

Harlequin releases have a few Dick McIntire cuts on them. Aside from that I'm afraid you're going to have to start collecting 78's. Well worth the trouble if you ask me. Jerry has often mentioned Dick as his main insperation - and for good reason. A strong melody player - Dick is the best example of making EVERY NOTE count that I can think of. Good luck in your search.

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2000 9:40 am    

Thanks, guys. I'll have to look into the Harlequin CDs. Also, maybe we could encourage Michael Cord to do a re-issue with a lot of Dick's stuff on it.

Say Jeff, sometime when you are coming to Gainesville drop me a line and maybe we can connect. Pro Frets is a good source for laps as well as other vintage gear and owner Mike Boulware is a great guy. That's where I got my Bakelite Ric. Did you know his mom and dad used to play with Kayton Roberts?

I know Ted Sharpe too and sold him some of my collectable blues LPs. Great vintage vinyl store. I'm overdue for a visit.

Bob

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2000 9:49 am    

Just took a look at the Harlequin website and observed that they are distributed by Down Home--Arhoolie's retail outlet! Maybe I'll just wait until I go out there (first trip) in October for the Arhoolie 40th Anniversary bash.

Small world, and getting smaller!

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 19 Jun 2000 11:15 am    

Chuck Lettes wil be playing Dick McIntire's old 1935 Richenbacker 6 string fry pan at Scotty's Convention. He may also release a new CD with lap steel with this guitar that he affectionately calls "Little Ricky"! As long as "Touch and Tone" matters, the days of Byrd and McIntire will never be over. Thank God Chuck is continuing this tradition.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 21 Jun 2000 6:59 pm    

Wayne spelled Dick's last name correctly...there is no 'y' in Dick's last name. "DICK McINTIRE". Jerry has often said, (sic)were there no Dick McIntire, there would not have been a "Jerry Byrd". I have reservations that would have really been the case, but it does indicate the high respect Jerry has for Dick's artistry. He had a tone like no other. Brother Lani played steel (somewhat) but was primarily a fine rhythm guitarist. Another brother, Al was a bass player. Dick's music is a MUST for any serious Hawaiian Steel Guitarist.