The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The Brazos Valley Boys
MCEDITOR

NewYork, N.Y. USA
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 11:26 am    

Was there ever an instrumental album made featuring Hank Thompson's 'The Brazos Valley Boys' with Bob White?

John Borchard

Athens, OH 45701
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2000 2:03 pm    

I believe there was at least one. Bert Rivera, Hank's steel player for many years is still playing in Austin, Texas. I don't know his number, but I believe he's in the Austin phone directory. Good luck!

Joe Law

Leslie ,GA
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2000 2:19 pm    

Yes, I have one , with Bert Rivera on steel. The name of this one is "The Instumental sounds of Hank Thompsons The Brazos Valley Boys"

Billy Jones

Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Jun 2000 6:46 pm    

Correct me if I'm wrong but Billy Gray Led the band on one of the Dance-o-Rama series of 10 inch LPs. It featured the twin steels and same styled arrangements of the Brazos Valley Boys. This led me to believe that it was the same band the was used by Hank Thompson. Spade Cooley and other greats in the pop field were also featured on these recordings. There are some collectors that have them.
..... Billy

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 7:13 am    

Pick up the Hank Thompson box set by Bear Family and you will have a whole passle of instrumentals with Bobby White: tons of waltzses and swing numbers like "String of Pearls" and other big band numbers. Lest we forget, ther are those great instumentals by B.White and PeeWee Whitewing such as the clasic"Red Skin Gal" where they both do a break one after the other!This box set is a must for any steeler to hear Chalker,White,Whitewing,Garrett,Rivera!

Mike Black

New Mexico, USA
Post  Posted 14 Jun 2000 10:22 am    

zzaaa

Last edited by Mike Black on 12 May 2011 12:17 pm; edited 1 time in total

wayne yakes md

denver, colorado
Post  Posted 15 Jun 2000 10:26 am    

When Hank reorganized the band under Billy Grey, they appraoched Bobby Garrett who was playing steel for ET(Emmons on guitar!). Bobby had always wanted to play for Hank and took the job(Emmons moved to steel and they hired Leon Rhodes). After his first gig with Hank, Billy Grey was congratulating Bobby and Hank walked up and said "Well, looks like we finally found a steel player! Welcome to the Brazos Valley Boys, Bobby!" Garrett asked what he meant saying that they finally found a steel player. Hank and Billy told Bobby that they hired and fired 11 steel players in the last 2 weeks! Garrett said if he had known that, he never would have left ET!