The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Puzzling over Emmons serial #s
Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 12 Jul 2002 5:27 pm    

This isn't a real critical inquiry as I have satisfied myself that my guitar is most likely of early '80s vintage, but...

According to the Emmons Co., they stopped making push/pulls in 1981. And according to them and the Carter web site the serial numbers end at 2948.

However, according to searches I have done here on the forum, there appear to be many push/pull Emmons guitars out there with serial numbers in the 6xxx range. I searched out a post regarding #6427 attributed as "early '80s" and have exchanged e-mail with two members with #6463 and #6597 confirmed as '82 and '83 models respectively.

My guitar is #6406, but Emmons has no record of that serial number, or any for push/pulls above 2948.

So what gives? Are all Emmons push/pulls above serial number 2948 forgeries?

Or could it be that the endplates with these 6xxx numbers were destined for the LeGrande series but were used with the last of the push/pull mechanisms?

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2002 3:45 am    

Mark, though Bobbe Seymour or Mike Cass might have better or more accurate information, this is the how I would explain those pesky "high" serial numbers...

Emmons quit making push/pulls as their regular production guitar in 1981. They did, however, continue to make them, special order only, up until late 1988 or early 1989.

I have been told that mine (whose serial number is a few hundred above yours), was supposedly built in 1989. Sad to say, I don't think there's any accurate "dating chart" chart for the 6000-series guitars.

[This message was edited by Donny Hinson on 13 July 2002 at 04:52 AM.]

Jay Ganz

Out Behind The Barn
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2002 5:51 am    

I think the LeGrande numbers had an "L"
stamped along side, didn't they?

------------------
Push/Pull audio (C6th mp3)Video Clip (bolt-on)

Old Wraparound (pics)

Mark Herrick

Bakersfield, CA
Post  Posted 13 Jul 2002 11:25 am    

Hey Donny, that's the best explanation I've heard. You'd think that the Emmons Co. would have mentioned that right off the bat. Of course you'd also think that they would have kept production records, even for those special orders; otherwise, how would they know what number to put on the next guitar, other than arbitrarily.

Oh, well. . .