The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Lap Resonater
Tommy Mark

Port Perry Ont, Can.
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2000 2:27 pm    

Has anyone of you guys ever built a lap steel with a resonater cone,soup can,etc. I would be interested in hearing from anyone who has.
I`m in the process of building one with tele pickups. I would like the option of having real steel sound, but also be able to have the dobro type sound on one pickup. Or a blend of both. Any thoughts on this would be greatly appreciated. I know there are some masters on here so I thought I`d ask. Thanks Tommy.

------------------

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 9 Jun 2000 2:43 pm    

Hey Tommy--check this out--
http://www.geocities.com/SunsetStrip/Studio/8462/index.html

This lady is doing exactly what you are talking about. As far as I know she doesn't post here but I am big fan, based on the website. Mike D, who does come here, had a guitar being shown there, last time I looked.

Tommy Mark

Port Perry Ont, Can.
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2000 4:38 am    

Thanks for steering me to that site Jon. There are some real beauties there. The tele is really wild looking!Thanks again.

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2000 8:51 am    

Glad you like my Resocaster Tommy. I don't see why you couldn't make a lap steel in a similar way.
Jon nice to see you around.

Gary Anwyl

Palo Alto, CA
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2000 9:15 am    

I did a reso-lectric conversion similar to Mike's Resocaster (thanks for the help Mike!). Here's my
Resolectric web page

I added a raised nut and play it dobro-style. It is fun to play acoustically. However the sound isn't as "sweet" as a true dobro. To get that sound I think you'd need to build in a large acoustic cavity.

[This message was edited by Gary Anwyl on 10 June 2000 at 10:17 AM.]

Tommy Mark

Port Perry Ont, Can.
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2000 9:59 am    

Mike and Gary;Thanks for the info, these 2 guitars are wild! How does the tele sound plugged in?Is it a national style biscuit also?

------------------

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 10 Jun 2000 4:13 pm    

Tommy, yes it's a National style like Gary's I have a piezo on the cone and a Fishman Pre-amp/volume control that I blend with the magnetic P/U. The cone sound is OK. It's a cheap piezo and I really should try a McIntyre. It doesn't sound like a Dobro at all. More like a metal body with sustain.

Tab Tabscott

Somewhere between Vashon Island and The mainland.
Post  Posted 12 Jun 2000 6:24 am    

Tim Scheerhorn is building an acoustic/electric lap steel/reso type thing...
It's curly maple, with a 9 inch resonator, a classic national chicken foot coverplate, and a quarterman spider...
Has a seymour-duncan mini-humbucker and a mcintyre transducer. Separate tone and volume controls for each.
You run it through a Rane AP-13 (acoutic/electric preamp) with a stereo cord.
I ordered one over a year ago and it is supposed to arrive in the next couple of weeks. Supposedly someone who plays with Brooks and Dunn has one (sorry, I forget the fellows name). According to Tim, the "kick butt".
I'll post a full report when I get it and being trying it out. I play with a band that does a lot of truck driving style music with bluegrass influences, and they do it quite loudly indeed. I am hoping this rig will get me up to their volume level without that nasty feedback you can get on other setups.

These guys cost $2150 and are available from Tim Scheerhorn, 1454 52nd Street, Kentwood, MI...Mine is candy apple red curly maple...
should be bitchin!!!
www.thelloyds.net www.oakoustic.com