The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Ed Packard
Everett Cox

Marengo, OH, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2002 8:32 am    

There are several folks whose posts seem to ALWAYS be of interest with your's at (or, at least, near) the top of my list. Some others include: Jim and Chas Smith, Larry Bell, Sage Harmos, Carl Dixon, George Lake, and b0b. That certainly is not my complete list but enough to exemplify the high esteem you and your thoughts have earned from me.

In a recent thread you began a discussion of the design/performance factors related to the PSG. Earlier posts considered the mathematical foundation of why certain combinations of notes sound 'good'. You seem to believe, however, that your musings are too 'esoteric' to be of continuing interest. Not so!!!

All the people in the list, above, as well as many more, show an appreciation for, and the ability to conduct, a detailed analysis of our instrument of choice. Equally important is the clarity of presentation which enables those like me to understand. Please continue with your posts.

While the cost of equipment to create an adequate 'test bed' is, indeed, a problem, I would happily contribute to such an endeavor. As b0b's recent experience has proved, there are many of us willing to support the development of a knowledge base related to the steel guitar. (That is, after all, what this great Forum represents.)

Thank you. --Everett

Billy Easton

Nashville, TN USA
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2002 8:41 am    

Right on Everett!! I appreciate the input from these guys who seem to possess an inate ability to analyze different aspects and apply them in a practical way to improving the mechanics and approach to the instrument.
I am proud to say that Ed Packard is a friend of mine, who talks theory about 10 feet over my head!! And he knows what he is talking about, be it music theory or mechanical/electrical/digital/analog engineerig. I believe that Ed's background is in engineering. And I too appreciate what he and these others contribute. Sure beats the bickering of some other posts. Did you know that Ed lives in Show Low, AZ now and is pretty close to the big raging forest fire and may have to evacuate at any time? Please keep him and all the folks in the path of this dangerous fire in your prayers. Okay Ed, Carl, George, and all the others, just keep up the good work!!

------------------
Billy Easton
Casa Grande, AZ
Where the Sun Always Shines

[This message was edited by Billy Easton on 22 June 2002 at 09:43 AM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2002 9:31 am    

Everett-Good post. The more "in depth" analysis regarding the engineering and playing the steel guitar, the better. Ed Packard has done that......al

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2002 10:14 am    

I have fond memories of Ed's great posts here on the forum. I've always been a nut for keyless steels & shortly after Joe Miraglia talked me into getting "on-the-net"
& enjoying the forum, Ed had a great post about his thoughts and findings on keyless guitars! To top it all off I got a ride to
Tulsa in 1997 with a buddy, Rex White, now in Erie, PA and when he dropped me off at the show site one of the first people I ran into was a guy "talking in a group 10 feet over my head". I said you must be Ed Packard & he said yes! He recalled my e-mailing him in regards to the keyless post. Later I ate lunch w/a picker from Iowa who had flown in
& Ed said he was rooming with his old buddy Bill Stafford, who was back in the room warming up his steel.....He invited us over for a free concert on Bill's new 14 string Sierra! What a show that was! Jeannie Keener's first steel show! Met Gene Fields & Bruce Zumsteg. The next day I made Rex come to the show with me when he came to pick me up for the return home trip. He wowed all the way home..."Wow those folks were just regular people!" Guess he thought the big boys were untouchables! Not so! Steel folk are all regulars!

[This message was edited by Doug Seymour on 22 June 2002 at 11:16 AM.]

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 22 Jun 2002 7:30 pm    

Everett
You have my vote, & I didnt forget to mail something to you,,,this week for certain.

Be well,,,,,nice post.

David Morgan

Encinitas,CA,USA
Post  Posted 24 Jun 2002 6:55 pm    

When I was playing steel for a living in San Diego area during the 80's, I always enjoyed the nights when Ed would come in. He would present me with a "twenty-yard" computer print out of his latest tuning idea including every chord possibility. I also enjoyed being the "guinea pig" for one of his new low impedence pick up/tone inventions. We'd velcro it right next to my pick-up, and I was getting all sorts of new sounds. It was great fun. A bright and charming character indeed!

ed packard

Show Low AZ
Post  Posted 30 Jun 2002 12:46 pm    

If this thread was meant to be a "roast" of some sort, you sure timed it right, ..mother nature joined right in! Thanks for the kind words, I am just hung up on combining music and physics to the point of being boring and of no interest to but a few. I really do not play that much but am facinated by the possibilities of the instrument.

Dave Morgan was jammed into a corner of a stage that had open and ungrounded wiring, ..so he had a big hum problem. We tried one of my toys to see if it would solve the problem without killing his sound. Dave, I had no idea that you were lurking around the forum. The computer has come into more use by PSG folk since then, ..can't say as I feel bad about that.

Billy E, your last CD is now a well worn, well travelled, and smoke covered item, ..just can't wear it out. What is coming next?