The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D-10 Pick-up Logic
Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2002 6:49 am    

Do you agree with the logic of having a brighter p/u on the E9 tuning and a darker one
on the C6 neck?

Are all single coil p/u's going to pick up pedal noise? And stuffing mounds of foam
under the p/u is the way to dampen that?

How is "microphonic" distinguished from just picking up the rattling of a knee lever?

Thanks,

Jeff

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2002 8:02 am    

Jeff, regarding the logic of a brighter pickup on the E9th, it's something that was done a lot more years ago than it is nowadays. Recently, the E9th sounds are rounder, fuller, and the "twangy-trebly" tone is all but gone in modern music. (But it sure fit the Bakersfield stuff well.)

As far as the microphonics question, as long as the pickup doesn't feed back, and as long as the mechanical noises don't bother you, I wouldn't worry about. A good test is to tap the pickup with your fingertip. You should only hear a soft "thump" through the amp (with the volume pedal at 50%). If you're hearing a loud clicking or snapping noise when you do this, you may have some loose magnets or windings. Pickups mounted rigidly to the guitar body (rather than cushion-mounted) will naturally pick up more mechanical noises along with more musical vibrations. Acceptable noise is different for different players and applications, such as studio work.

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2002 9:47 am    

Different pickups "cut" through the band sound differently. If you have two different pickups and you adjust your amp for one, the other might be lost in the mix. That's why I have the same pickups on both necks of my D-10.

Some people like the difference in tone, though. I wonder how their bandmates feel about it, especially the bass player when C6th tones are suddenly intruding on his space.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

Gary Dunn

near Camel City, NC
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2002 12:46 pm    

Bobby,

What if you use a programable effects rack,using a differant pickup on each neck would not matter as much, since your differant patches for each neck?

Would you not adjust them to your taste?

I see you point if your using a traditional amp.

Gary

Jeff Evans

Cowtown and The Bill Cox Outfit
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2002 2:01 pm    

Quote:
Recently, the E9th sounds are rounder, fuller...

I'd like to borrow those recordings, Donny; I'm hearing recent E9 tone as usually thinner, brighter, and wetter. I know we can cite exceptions both past and present, and this tone topic probably deserves its own thread.

The D-10 pick-up logic I cited is still out there. For example, default p/u's on Carter guitars are the George L's E-66 on E9 and the (said to be mellower) 10-1 for C6. I'm not necessarily arguing against this logic, just wondering what other folks thought of it.

Seems to me you could just as easily make the case for the brighter p/u on the C neck and the mellower one on E9 which might bring them closer together in terms of EQ. Even with identical pick-ups, the C6 tuning should be inherently darker with its greater bass range and larger strings: Why accentuate the difference with bright/dark pick-ups?

[This message was edited by Jeff Evans on 06 June 2002 at 03:05 PM.]

Greg Vincent

Folsom, CA USA
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2002 2:22 pm    

"Why accentuate the difference with bright/dark pick-ups?"

Cuz the difference between E9 & C6 sounds is one of the great things about steel guitar!

Interesting thread Jeff.

-GV

[This message was edited by Greg Vincent on 06 June 2002 at 03:23 PM.]

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2002 9:03 pm    

I know where Jeff is coming from, He has brought up a good point on his post.

I had a D10 sounded great on E9, but the darker pickup on the C6 made is sound more muddy and not enough separation of notes.

Lots a guitars ,they make sure the E9 sounds great, as it is the most used , etc.
Then the C6 neck gets , whatever.

The D10 Carter I have now, seems to have a good bite on both necks. It has George L"s TTP pickups on both necks. Sounds almost like the old Push-Pulls Emmons....al

Jody Carver

KNIGHT OF FENDER TWEED
Post  Posted 6 Jun 2002 9:13 pm    

My question has been answered,,,no need to reply,,,Thanks anyway.

[This message was edited by Jody Carver on 07 June 2002 at 11:53 AM.]