The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Difference between LeGrande and LeGrande II
Shawn H

Hermitage, TN
Post  Posted 29 May 2002 4:37 pm    

Hi,
This may sound like a stupid question but what's the difference between a Emmons Lashley Legrande and Legrande II? I've been out of playing for about 3 years. I pulled my steel out the other day because I couldn't remember if I had a legrande or Legrande II. Doh!!

Shawn

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2002 4:45 pm    

Legrande III has the "anti-detuning" mod.

Legrande II does not.

Otherwise they are identical.

This mod is to counteract so-called "Cabinet drop" problem that plagues a lot of players. And I might add it does an outstanding job of it also. The cost is around $300 per neck.

carl

Shawn H

Hermitage, TN
Post  Posted 29 May 2002 4:45 pm    

Ok, even dumber question. Where do I find the serial number?

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2002 6:47 pm    

Isn't the LeGrande the "original" LeGrande, before the II and III?

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 29 May 2002 6:55 pm    

One thing to keep in mind.Not all Lashley Legrandes had 14 hole bell cranks.There were two Lashley Legrands sold here last year that had the 4 hole bellcranks.Carl, I think you stated some time back that your Lashley Legrande came from the factory with 4 hole cranks?

The 4 hole bellcranks work fine if you use a standard set-up.And most folks do.However the 14 hole LL's bring more money.Especially if you're trying to sell to me.

Bobby Boggs

Upstate SC.
Post  Posted 29 May 2002 7:01 pm    

Jim it was the Legrande,Lashley Legrande,Legrande II and then the LIII.I hear they have a LIV?But can't say fer sure.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 29 May 2002 8:31 pm    

The Legrande's serial number should be found on a metal casting (part of the end plate), underneath and very near the changer fingers.

Yes Bobby, My LeGrande (which had a decal that said Lahsley LeGrande) came with 4 hole bellcranks. In fact it would NOT have come with 4 had it not been for me. Let met tell you the story.

When I ordered my guitar, they had just begun using the 14 hole bellcranks. A very dear dear friend of mine talked me out of the 14 holers in lieu of the 4 hole ones. Like a dummy I did what he said and much to the consternation of Jack Strayhorn I insisted on the 4 hole cranks.

Shortly After I received the guitar I realized what a terrible mistake I had made. I then called Jack and humbled myself and admitted what I had done and I had not taken his wise advice. Thru the graciousness of Jack, they sent me 50, 14 holers at their cost. Still expensive but it was MY fault. So I was happy then.

Interestinly, within months, I sold ALL the 4 hole ones and so I came out even. Thank God.

Moral: friends are friends and we love them. BUT that "don make em right!

carl

Fred Murphy

Indianapolis, In. USA
Post  Posted 30 May 2002 6:32 am    

I believe the original Legrande used the round brass ball crank connectors similar to the Sho-Buds. At least that's what mine had. They were just called Legrandes, not Lashley Legrandes. It also had a short key head. The rods went thru a hole in the brass connector and tightned down with a set screw. The first Lashley Legrandes were supposed to have the 4 hole bell cranks. I haven't seen one,The ones I have seen all have had the 14 hole bell cranks, but that is what I've been told. The ones I have seen also used different tuning keys. They were haystack shaped as opposed to a curved top and bottom or butterfly type. I have a Legrande 11 and it has 14 hole bell cranks and the rods are connected to the bell cranks by a 90 degree bend in the tip and retained by an (e-clip). The Legrande 111 is the same except it has compensators.

[This message was edited by Fred Murphy on 30 May 2002 at 07:33 AM.]

[This message was edited by Fred Murphy on 30 May 2002 at 07:36 AM.]