The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  How many............
Gary Dunn

near Camel City, NC
Post  Posted 26 May 2002 12:29 pm    

Of the Emmons Legrande owners/players are using a BL - 710 in there axe? Are you happy with the sound?

Gary

Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 26 May 2002 12:37 pm    

I had 710's in a LeGrande II and tried very hard to find an amp combination and settings
that I could live with. Never could and took them out. I had replaced the 22000 ohm single coils with the 710's. I gave up on the 710's and removed 3000 ohms of wire from the single coils and put them back in the guitar and it sounds fine to me now.
Jerry

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 28 May 2002 9:21 pm    

Gary,

I've got a 710 in my LeGrande II loafer and it sounds fine through any of the Peavey steel guitar amplifiers with the commonly used settings you see posted on this forum. A trouble-free setup for me. I'm very content with it.

We must keep in mind that steel guitar tone and happiness are highly subjective things and personal tone preferences certainly vary from player to player. Hey, for the approximately $100 it will cost, buy a 710, install it, and try it out. If there is something you don't like about the way it sounds you can always sell a good-as-new 710 pickup on Buy And Sell for nearly what you paid for it.

Another great-sounding Lawrence pickup is the 910. They sound less trebley than a 710 but they are clear and loud with no noticeable hum. A number of players are now specifying factory-installed Lawrence 910's on their new steel guitars.

Tim R.