The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Gary Carter using "Live Steel Strings"
Benjamin Jayne

Orange County California, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2012 11:11 am    

Anyone know how he gets that cool tone around 3:35-3:51? Is it a VP technique? Doesn't look like he clicked any pedals, but the tone all of a sudden resembles more of a synth to me, and then he goes back to the traditional tone afterwards...really cool, just wish I knew how it was done!

Malcolm McMaster

Beith Ayrshire Scotland
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2012 9:55 am    

Fantastic, hope Gary could make the show at Dallas next year, would love to see him live.
MSA Millenium SD10, GK MB200, Sica 12inch cab, Joyo American Sound Pedal/ Jay Ganz Straight Ahead amp, Telonics 15inch in Peavey cab, Digitech RP150, Peterson tuner.Hilton volume pedal.Scott Dixon seat and guitar flight case.

Paul Sutherland

Placerville, California
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2012 10:54 am    

Benjamine: Play just the fifth string, go high up on the neck, and use the volume pedal liberally, as in have the pedal volume low when you pick the string, and then bring up the volume as needed to keep the note(s) sustaining.

As you raise the volume up, slide the bar up or down one or two frets to the next scale tone, for dramatic effect and musical interest.

Also, pick the string with authority (strong picking action) to really get the string vibrating, but have the volume low with the pedal at the moment of plucking the string.

Pay careful attention to your vibrato (not too early, not too fast, & not too wide), and, of course, intonation.

Gil Gregory

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 26 Mar 2012 11:23 am     Gary Carter

WOW, WHAT GREAT PLAYER AND AN EXCELLANT PRFORMANCE.

MIKEHOLLAND

stegenevievemo.usa
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2012 5:17 pm     Unbelieveable

Gary Carter for President. Anybody that can figure out a tune like this could figure out solutions to world issues in a very short pierod of time. Gary should you ever decide to sell some of your tone, as well as licks, put me down for a 5 gallon bucketfull of each.

Gary Carter

Dickson, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2012 7:27 pm    

Hey guys thanks for all the positive feedback. I'm working on a second video and then planning on releasing a six song dvd video later this year if everything goes as planned.
Thank you, Gary

Roy Peterman

Muncy Valley, Pennsylvania
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 3:01 am    

Gary, that was great! I hope to see you again, one of these days. Are you playing in PA this year with Connie? Say hello to Jimmy for me when you see him.
(I want to also say that the video was fantastic, and very professionally done!)

Roy

Gary Carter

Dickson, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 5:16 am     Roy

Roy, Good to hear from you. I'll tell brother Jimmy you said hi. Gary

Ransom Beers

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 5:23 am    

Mah fingers don't wurk that way,damn I hate when that happens.

Mr. Carter,very nice ,very nice indeed.

Charles Curtis

Post  Posted 28 Mar 2012 5:41 am    

Hi Gary. If you do the 6 song DVD, I'm sure interested. Thank you.

Sid Hudson

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2012 8:08 am     Thank You!

I would like to take this opportunity and express my gratitude to everyone that has placed orders over the last week for our new product Live Steel Strings.

I must say that the number of orders we received in our first week of business has exceeded our wildest expectations.

Our promise to you:
1. We will provide our customers with the most innovative PSG strings on the market today.
2. We will provide our customers with only the freshest strings with minimal/no shelf life.
3. We will provide our customers with customer service that has no parallel.

Thank you again for your business!

Sid Hudson

David Wright

Pilot Point ,Tx USA.
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2012 3:05 am    

I enjoyed it, tone is what a steel should sound like Very Happy Very Happy very tasty ....keep'em coming Gary!!!,

Brian Ramsey-Goudie

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2012 3:54 am     Gary

Superb playing,magic tone.How does he do it.More please.

Brian Ramsey-Goudie

United Kingdom
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2012 3:55 am     Gary

Superb playing,magic tone.How does he do it.More please. Very Happy

Wally Moyers

Lubbock, Texas
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2012 7:17 am    

Sid, Thanks for posting this! Some of the finest playing I'v heard in a long time.. So fresh and new... Very musical, not just a bunch of licks strung together.. Wow!

Charles Pompe

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2012 9:33 am     Gary Carter

Very Happy This is the best thing I've heard in many moons, Musicaly and Technicaly. I'm in line for the dvd. WOW

Bernie Gonyea

Sherman Tx. 75092 ,U.S.A. (deceased)
Post  Posted 31 Mar 2012 6:47 pm     Gary Carter/ Marty Stuart Show

Very Happy Whoa! Rolling Eyes Laughing Whoa!

Yes, fellow and lady steel pickers and lovers of same; it would be difficult to find a better steel guitarist, or a better sounding steel than Gary's " Green Zum ". He is truly a great guy and musician. I agree with some of you in ref to Marty allowing Gary to play on more songs on each show. Marty spends too much time hogging each show with his grand ability in playing one of his " LEAD " guitars. Prod Marty in giving us more " Gary " Cheers..Bernie Whoa! Rolling Eyes Very Happy Whoa!

Bent Romnes

London,Ontario, Canada
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2012 4:13 am    

Sid, it is very easy to become a fan of Gary Carter.
Some of the best steel comes from the Connie and Marty show.

Gary, one can't help but notice the unique and special steel that comes out from under your fingers.
Now, with A Lighthouse Tale, you prove how the steel does adapt to changes in music. This tune is so "right on" in that it does not suggest any special genre, it only speaks of high quality steel playing.
I look so much forward to hearing more from you.

Jerome Hawkes

Fayetteville, North Carolina, USA
Post  Posted 1 Apr 2012 5:05 am    

Just picked up a trial set yesterday at the MASGA jam in Kannapolis and after hearing this I know what I'll be doing this morning. Being mainly a mandolin player, this was fantastic on both levels. I got to meet Chris Thelie when he was 13 and opening some shows with David Grisman - he is really writting some fine new music and it's so refreshing to hear the steel mix in an acoustic environment. This is ideally the direction I'd love to go, so it's a powerful inspiration.

Oh, and It was again a pleasure and treat to meet and chat with Sid and meet his family. I wish them the best of luck with this - the way Sid plays, if they can handle that ripping he gives 'em, they are good'ens.

Teddy Lloyd

Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 5 Apr 2012 7:44 am    

I first met Gary at Fort Lee in va when he was 14 years old.He was playing a Sho-Bud crossover and was ahead of most players at that time I sat at his dad's table an enjoyed every minet.

Gary Hamblin

Callao, VA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2012 5:29 pm     monster player

Gary.That is top of the line playing if I ever heard it.I noticed that you pivot your foot to the A pedal,I do it that way and wondered if it was wrong but after seeing you do it that way makes it right with me.Thanks for the inspiration.
JCH/SD10 ,ZUM,D10 ,Rosewood Emmons Push Pull,T8 Fender Stringmaster.Nashville and Session 400,Walker Stereo Steel,Boss Katana 100 and John Hughey's Vegas 400.Hilton Pro Delay,Telonics Volume Pedal, Steelers Choice Seat,Live Steel Strings.

Wally Taylor

Hardin, Kentucky, USA
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2012 2:55 am    

That was AWESOME!!!

Lyle Clary

Decatur, Illinois, KC9VCB
Post  Posted 23 Apr 2012 6:05 pm    

I remember Gary from when he came to our town in 1974 with his Carter Brother's Family Band. Then that same year his band played at the new Opry House in Opryland during Fanfair. Enjoyed his playing then and now. Say Hello to Jimmy and your Sister.

Lee Baucum

McAllen, Texas (Extreme South) The Final Frontier
Post  Posted 5 May 2012 11:28 am    

Wonderful right hand.

Gus York

Devon, UK
Post  Posted 5 May 2012 3:10 pm     gary carter-live steel strings

WOW! That was the most beautiful and amazing playing, complimenting a fabulous number 'The Lighthouse Tale' by CHris Theile. Gary's touch and intonation is inspiring- in fact everything I would aspire to on the steel! But alas after 40 odd years of trying, I don't think I'm going to make it! Dang!
As far as the sound goes, which I reckon is spot on- It is a quality studio sound,not sadly a stage sound! There is a BIG difference!
Let's here more please Gary, and have you any plans to visite the UK or Europe?
Gus York.