The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  The World Famous 14 Hole Bellcrank
Jerry Roller

Van Buren, Arkansas USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 9:07 pm    

Fourteen months ago I was 1000 miles from home just out of intensive care due to a heart valve repair and removal of part of an enlarged septum which is the center dividing partition of the heart at the Cleveland Clinic. A stranger came in my room and said he was a steel guitar player and knew I was a long way from home. We talked steel guitar for about 1 1/2 hours and before he left he gave me a 14 hole bellcrank for an Emmons guitar. Somehow he knew I was an Emmons player. Anyway as it turned out that stranger was Jerry Brightman and he is no longer a stranger but a good friend. I was so proud of the bellcrank and what it means to me that when I was at the Dallas show I asked Mona Lawrence who makes the George L' pickups if she could help me have it gold plated. I received it back from Mona today and it is beautiful!!! I will be playing the Tulsa steel show this Saturday and that keepsake will be mounted under my guitar. Thanks to Jerry Brightman one more time for cheering me up when I really needed it and a a huge thank you to Mona Lawrence. I know George L' is not in the business of gold plating bellcranks but it means a great deal to me. This may seem trivial but there is nothing trivial about open heart surgery, what it does to you mentally and the impact a friend can have during the first few hours of recovery. If you are in Tulsa Saturday, be sure and check it out!
Jerry Roller

Bill Hamner

Hueytown,AL USA
Post  Posted 20 May 2002 11:04 pm    

Hi Jerry, Neat story. It couldn't happen to a nicer fellow. It says a lot about Jerry Brightman also.
Bill

Doug Seymour

Jamestown NY USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 21 May 2002 1:29 am    

Steel players are some of the greatest human beings on earth!!! Bar none! Take your pick!

John P. Phillips

Folkston, Ga. U.S.A., R.I.P.
Post  Posted 21 May 2002 4:16 am    

WHAT BROTHER DOUG SAID !!!

------------------
"Let's go STEEL something"
If it feels good, do it. If it feels COUNTRY, do it twice
jpp

Larry Bell

Englewood, Florida
Post  Posted 21 May 2002 5:34 am    

Great story, Jerry
Glad you got to meet Jerry Brightman. I just met him myself a few months ago when we played a show and, subsequently, a jam session together. He is a great player and, more importantly, a warm human being who values his friends over material possessions.

We Emmons players gotta stick together.

Glad your recovery is progressing well.

------------------
Larry Bell - email: larry@larrybell.org - gigs - Home Page
2000 Fessenden S-12 8x8, 1969 Emmons S-12 6x6, 1971 Emmons D-10 9x9, 1971 Dobro