The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Carter Starter vs Sho Bud maverick
Al Udeen

maple grove mn usa
Post  Posted 17 May 2002 10:38 pm    

I must fully agree with Bobbe on this one. when I was Sho-Bud Product Mgr, with Gretsch in the 70s, the Maverick retailed for $299.00 including a hard shell case. This model was intended to be a starter "no pun intended" model, how can you compare it to any guitar being built more than 30yrs later? It served its purpose well, & I dont think too many people lost money on them, as I see them on here occasionally for at least $300.00 Regards! au

Mike Perlowin

Los Angeles CA
Post  Posted 18 May 2002 3:55 am    

[quote[how can you compare it to any guitar being built more than 30yrs later?[/quote]
Obviously you can't. But is there any reason for a new player starting out to not avail him/herself of the newer technology?

If we were talking about medicine, would anybody suggest using a 30 uear old treatment for a disease where there are newer and better ones available?

The Maverick may have been the best thing around for a newbie in it's day, but that day has long since passed. Today's students need 3 or 4 knee levers.

I've not seen the GFI student model so I can't comment on it. For all I know it may be a great guitar. But I have seen the Carter starter, and I think it's the way to go for new players.

Roy Thomson

Wolfville, Nova Scotia,Canada
Post  Posted 18 May 2002 4:56 am    

Bobbe you said something up the road a bit in answer to a question of b0b's.
" Sell the Carter Starter? Haven't seen one.
We cater to a different market."
Now either you don't market steel guitars or you don't regard the Carter Starter as a steel guitar.
Which is it?
And what is this difference in the market?

Your fingerpickin' buddy
Roy

[This message was edited by Roy Thomson on 18 May 2002 at 05:57 AM.]

erik

Post  Posted 18 May 2002 5:14 am    

I don't play pedal steel for 2 reasons:
1) added expense
2) I already play guitar, bass, keyboard, and drums poorly, i don't have enough time to play steel poorly too.

That being said, i did at one time investigate buying a budget priced steel. Having read here the Emmons vs Day setup discussions, i reasoned i might be better off with the latter. I found a new GFI being sold by a dealer(not BS) for around seven or eight hundred $(can't remember), with 3 pedals, 4 knees available in the Day setup. If this doesn't matter to someone than the Carter starter is probably the best deal to start off with. I think telling new students that there are 2 styles of pedal setup is significant disclosure when addressing the learning of an instrument.

Craig A Davidson

Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2002 5:35 am    

I think what Bobbe was saying was that they deal in some new and some vintage like D-10 originals, and Fingertip Sho-Buds, and Pro-ll's. This is besides selling new Emmons, GFI, and used guitars like Zums and Mullins. If I wanted a certain kind of guitar I would call Bobbe before my local music store because of a better chance of being able to find it. That would be Bobbe's different kind of market. By the way I started on a Maverick and was tickled to death just to have a steel guitar at the time. I didn't know who Buddy Emmons or Jimmy Day were, I just liked the sound. By the way Bobbe if I spoke out of turn for you I apologize.

------------------
1985 Emmons push-pull, Session 500, Nashville400, 65 re-issue Fender Twin, Fender Tele

Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 18 May 2002 5:54 am    

Thanks Craig.
You may be right but I find that confusing?
I'll wait for Bobbe.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 May 2002 8:02 am    

Yes, what Craig said. Exactly. Roy , reread my statements, I don't speak Canadian so there might be a language barrier. (I also don't spell english very well). We sell guitars from six reputable manufactures, all only deal in professional guitars except one that covers both markets,(pro and "starter")I would much rather see a player start off with a good quality guitar than a "get by starter" guitar that a pro couldn't play.
I, being in Nashville, feel I am being held to a higher standard than a pawn shoppe in the so. side of Chicago may be, or the regular music store that would handel a steel guitar just to make money, so I want the very best for my customers AND I want to sell them a product that I can give them their money back on in the future, hard to do with any student guitar sold new. You see Roy, when the customer wins, I do too!!!
Carter Starter or Maverick? We are lucky they are both here I 'spose, I'm glad Carter is building this guitar as I'm sure it will get some folks "started" as well, and so has the Maverick. But I'd like to see all start a little higher up the ladder if possible.There is the chance that any of these low budget "starters " will discourge a new player where a pro guitar wouldn't. I'm sure,even though I haven't seen one , that Carter is building the best guitar that can be built for the money, this is a tough trade off that this company may have the upper hand in dealing with and I comend them for doing so. I'd just hate to see everyone in thirty years , bashing the Carter starter like they are the Maverick, after it started many great pro careers. At least Carter picked up the ball when it was "out of play".
Your Thumbwhere buddy,
Bobbe

[This message was edited by BobbeSeymour on 18 May 2002 at 09:27 AM.]

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 18 May 2002 8:10 am    

Anyone out there got any Mavericks for sale? My phone is still waiting for some calls offering me some. Could it be these guitars are possibly more appreciated that this post is indicating? Hey, I seriously need some, If they are so bad, here's your chance to unload. Come on Mike P.,Bob H. etc. Where are they? Love you guys, Lets have fun and play this stuff!

Al Brisco

Colborne, ON Canada
Post  Posted 18 May 2002 8:20 am    

CARTER-STARTER construction clarification!
I had the privilege of spending 2 weeks at the Carter Factory, working with Bud & John this past March.
During my tenure, I not only assisted in building the Pro Models...(in fact I assembled & installed the keyheads & changer on Tommy White's new guitar) under the direction of Bud & John, but I also rodded & set-up app. 15 CARTER-STARTER's, which are manufactured by employees under John & Bud's direction in a separate unit in the same building.
They keep the manufacturing areas separate for business reasons.

Believe me, most construction (with the exception of farmed out parts manufacturing), & all assembly is 'in house'!

A very well run, efficient operation assists them in being able to market their products with Great Value for a Good Price!

Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 18 May 2002 8:29 am    

Come to think of it, my first attempt at steelin' was a Maverick that I bought in Huntsville, Alabama in 1976. Never learned to play it, except for "Fire on the Mountain," sort of. Paid 300.00, sold it for 300.00. Maybe I should have bought the Red Baron sitting next to it!
I guess, though, no matter how great or horrible it was, you never forget the first time.
P.S. I can't play the Emmons I've got now, either.

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 18 May 2002 8:54 am    

Al, glad to see you working in the states!
Thanks for the clairification, I'm sure you had a good time and learned a lot.
Your friend ,
Bobbe

Roy Thomson

Post  Posted 18 May 2002 9:04 am    

I feel better now that the facts are on the table.
Bobbe I hope you get your truckload of Mavericks. I can just see the stampede!!
Stand back!

[This message was edited by Roy Thomson on 18 May 2002 at 10:06 AM.]

Jerry Hedge

Norwood Ohio U.S.A.
Post  Posted 18 May 2002 9:18 am    

I think we've gotten WAY TOO hung up in this "Well you need four knee levers, this Effect unit,that amp to be a steel guitar player." I for one wished I'd been a little more serious about learning to play my first PSG (a Maverick Type steel built for Fender by Sho-Bud) before I fell under the fallacy that more knees were better. The thing that opened my eyes to this was hearing Mike Sigler one year at the Southern Ohio show playing a Maverick at a dealer display. This guitar has no limits if you can PLAY STEEL GUITAR!!! The limits are in you as the operator not in the machine!!! Remember about a year, maybe a year and a half ago Tommy White was looking for a Maverick for an at home, practice guitar? Don't learn to play pedal steel-learn TO PLAY MUSIC!!! The instrument is just a tool!!!

Bobbe Seymour

Post  Posted 18 May 2002 10:17 am    

Jerry Hedge,Couldn't be said better, Tommy has bought at least one maverick from me and you are correct. I'd rather hear him play a Maverick than most others play anything in the professional line. Tommy played lap steel on a couple of my CDs and it was outstanding! No pedals at all. As Tom Morrell said once, "You either play or you don't"! The guitar is just a minor tool in the link. Thank you Jerry for putting it so eloquently.

compuserve

ENGLAND
Post  Posted 18 May 2002 10:22 am    

HI MIKE glad your on the mend,I dont know much about the carter starter guitar,but i think that IMHO that one of the best student steels i ever played was the ZB student .i found it very easy to put extra knee levers As far as the on because the changer was the same as the pro zb range.As far as the maverick goes its better than nothing .
GOD BLESS JIM.

------------------

compuserve

ENGLAND
Post  Posted 18 May 2002 10:32 am    

MIKE dont read {as far as the}after levers on my last reply i must have noded off .GOD BLESS JIM

compuserve

ENGLAND
Post  Posted 18 May 2002 10:40 am    

HI MIKE glad your on the mend,I dont know much about the carter starter guitar,but i think that IMHO that one of the best student steels i ever played was the ZB student .i found it very easy to put extra knee levers on because the changer was the same as the pro zb range.As far as the maverick goes its better than nothing .
GOD BLESS JIM.

------------------

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 May 2002 12:02 pm    

Bobbe Seymour wrote:
Quote:
As far as John and Ann building this starter guitar themselves as has been stated previously, I think they also have contracted the manufacture of this guitar out and they are just the distributers.
That is simply NOT TRUE. The Carter-Starter is made at the Carter factory in Mesquite, Texas.

Rumors like this are not appreciated by the hard-working folks who build steel guitars. Bobbe, check your facts before you post unsubstantiated rumor as fact. Someone in your unique position should know better.

Harummph!

------------------
               Bobby Lee
-b0b-   quasar@b0b.com
-System Administrator