The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Beginners Notes... New Steel Guitar Fills Project
Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2012 3:43 pm    

I've begun putting together a "Steel Guitar Fills Ideas for E9th", E-book. It will contain 300 easy to learn and play fill ideas, for the Beginner to Early Intermediate player. 300 ideas that can be played forward, backwards, at different timing and or phrasing, modified and or changed to suit the need or situation. These 300 fill ideas could equate to more then 1000 usable fills, depending on your imagination or desire to push in that direction. Of course it is in the works and all details of delivery/format/payment are being considered. I welcome your suggestions and comments.

Moderator, If this is posted in the wrong section, please move as required.

Thank you,
Dick Sexton
"Beginners Notes"

Gregg Laiben

Kansas City, Missouri, USA
Post  Posted 16 Feb 2012 8:40 pm    

PayPal or credit card would be ideal for me with instant downloading of the e-book after payment. Looking forward to it!

Greg Wisecup

Troy, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2012 5:40 am    

Congratulations Richard. That's quite an accomplishment. I'm sure it will be of use to many.
/Nashville 400
RV-3/ Zoom MS-50G
As long as I'm down in the mix I'm Fantastic!

Lee Johnson

Illinois, USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2012 12:46 pm     Great Idea Dick

Dick, Maybe you could do very well to bring some to Dallas, as there are a lot of New Players and beginners at these shows, just a thought ,,,,, Lee

John Coffman

Wharton,Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2012 1:28 pm    

Good idea on bring to Dallas I would like one!!

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 17 Feb 2012 7:59 pm     Thank you...

Gregg and Greg, thanks for the ideas and encouragement. I appreciate that.

Lee and John, as much as I would like to make Dallas, I wont this time... Note: It is still in the development stages, with the current fill count at 260+, on its way to 300. I sure do appreciate the interest though...

I do like the idea of a hands off system of payment and delivery. Seems to be the wave of the future in books and other digitized media.

Dickie Whitley

Post  Posted 18 Feb 2012 6:26 am    

Dick, I will probably be among the above interested in you project. Thank you for your time and effort in this project.

Landon Roberson

Church Hill, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 11:11 am    

Will these fills work for gospel pedal steel as well. I am interested in gospel fills.

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 11:59 am     Gospel Pedal Steel Fills?

Hello Landon,

When I get this project up and running, I want you to post and remind me again. You and I will pick a song and see just how many of these 300 fills we can tastefully use in it. I'll put my money on quite a few. My brother-in-law came over a few months ago and because he is starting to sing in church, ask me if I had a backing tract to Amazing Grace that he might use in his worship service. I did and pulled it up in BIAB for him to hear. He started singing along with the track. I jumped on my steel and started playing in between the vocal lines. He was amazed at how it filled up the song and how pretty it made what he was doing sound. I played a lot of the fills that I've tabbed in this "Beginners Notes Fill Ideas" project. I must admit I was familiar with the song Amazing Grace, but I'll also tell you that, before then I'd not backed up a singer singing it. My definition of a fill on steel guitar, is a phrase that will connect the dots. It can be a single note, tastefully sustained in exactly the right spot, or many notes used to assist the singer in telling a story. It can be happy or sad, a runaway train or a lazy brook, but if done right, it will make the song better. I hope you will stay tuned here, I'll post when it is completed.

ps: Remember this, if the music of Bach could only be have been played in symphony halls, there would have been a bunch of music-less cartons when I was growing up. By that I mean, music is music and a fill is a fill. I'd be proud to have you use a few of mine in any way you see fit.

Dick Sexton

Landon Roberson

Church Hill, Tennessee, USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 12:07 pm    

Dick thanks for the comments from what you say I think this will help me alot I look forward to seeing the finished project. Any idea when it will be ready?

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 12:18 pm     Hummm!

Landon,
I could say something smart like, creativity has no time line... But the truth is, a recent computer crash has slowed the project down. The 300 fills have been penned and are ready to be entered into a digital medium. I am also putting together some of my personal exercises I plan to give away as part of the project. I hope your interest won't be dampened. I'll post here when it is nearing completion.

Thank you for asking...
Dick Sexton

Kenny Martin

Chapin, S.C. USA
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 1:54 pm    

Mr. Sexton,

With out a doubt i'm sure this will be awesome and it will help alot of new players.
I appreciate what you do to help everyone and if you did it, then it will be the best that could be offered!

All the best with this man!.....kenny

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 27 Feb 2012 2:07 pm     Hey brother...

Kenny, I was thinking the other day, how much further along I'd be, if I hadn't taken the time to write down every little thing I've discovered on my steel. That's OK though, each of us has a place in the big picture, and as I was telling the guys at our gig Saturday night while playing for Fried Chicken, I'm OK with mine! Hahaha! Hope your doing good. Thanks for the kind words my friend, you know I'll do my best.

KENNY KRUPNICK

Grove City,Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 6:07 am    

Hi Dick, Are you coming out to the jam on the 17th? Very Happy

Dick Sexton

Greenville, Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Mar 2012 6:25 am     Jam?

Hey KK,
Sorry, going to be busy. Another time maybe...

Keith Davidson

Nova Scotia, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Mar 2012 7:55 am    

Hey Dick, that would be great.

I echo Gregg's thoughts and hope that payment could be through PayPal as well as an available download after payment.

Please keep us posted when it's available.

Keith