The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Author Topic:  Lab Series Amps
Stephen Gambrell

Over there
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2002 4:16 pm    

OK, ignorance strikes again. I know the Session and/or Nashville 400's are killer steel amps. But, have any of you guys ever tried one of the old Gibson Lab Series amps for steel? I remember they had built in compressors, just wondering, since I have to get a dedicated steel amp. Thanks in advance,
Steve

Gary Walker

Morro Bay, CA
Post  Posted 27 Apr 2002 11:10 pm    

Seems like I remember Curly Chalker playing through a series 7. I believe it was the one with the 15". It also had the built in phase shifter.

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2002 12:45 am    

I used one for years w/a Sho-Bud,a ZB and an MSA.You're right - they are good steel amps.I had the L-5 w/100 watts thru 2-12s.I put casters,Fender tilt-back legs and EV SRO speakers in it which made it a bit heavy but it sounded killer.They have a compressor with controls on it - not just in the circuit automatically like a Peavey.They have a lot of EQ including a parametric mid control like a Peavey.I liked it very much and only switched to a Session 400 because I wanted a bit more power.They're very dependable and you can get them for $100. -MJ-

Mike Sweeney

Nashville,TN,USA
Post  Posted 28 Apr 2002 10:40 am    

I had a L-7 with a 15 inch speaker. But it didn't have a phase shifter. It did have a compressor though which I didn't use.
As far as tone goes it sounded great but like has already been said if you wanted more power you needed a Session or L.T.D. Peavey. But it would make a great recording amp. Mike

Buck Dilly

Branchville, NJ, USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 10:52 am    

I have an L-5. This sounded great for steel and guitar, but I have not used it in years. THe compressor circuit sucks, but that Parametric mid is great. I recall that it is a bit noisy, possibly due to Field Effect Transistor circuitry. A Very Warm sound. Ty Tabor (Kings X) used these amps.

b0b

Cloverdale, CA, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 10:20 pm    

Posted in wrong section. Moved to 'Electronics'.