The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  D# to D/C# combined with E to Eb on RKL?
Rainer Hackstaette

Bohmte, Germany
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 7:49 am    

The subject title may be a little confusing. Here is what I mean:

On my RKL I lower the E´s 4+8 E to Eb. I also lower string 2 D# to C#. Since the D# to C# lower takes longer travel, I reach D before the lowering of the E´s begins. It is, in fact, a very soft halftone stop. I was wondering if I should install a halftone lowering rod. It might make the feel of the stop a little more precise and it would free my RKR, which I use for the D# to D lower. I would then use RKR to raise 1+2 to G# and E.

The guitar is a Sierra Crown D 10, and I have all the necessary hardware to install the stop. But it is a rather time-consuming process, and before I start I´d like some comments if it makes any sense at all to combine those two lowers. Mind you, the E´s do not change before the 2nd string is well past D.

I`d appreciate your help.

------------------
Remington D 10 8+7, Sierra Crown D 10 gearless 8+8, Sierra Session S 14 gearless 8+5, Peavey Session 400 LTD

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 8:09 am    

I wouldn't recommend a 1/2 stop on that lever, simply because it is used so much. However if you must have one, you should be able to adjust your leverages to get closer to a D than you currently are. Once you get the travels right, it's a simple matter of tightening the lower return springs on your E strings to adjust the stiffness of the 1/2 stop.

BTW, on my Universal Fessy, I lower 2-C# and 4&8 E's to D# and have them adjusted so they all start and end at the same time, with no 1/2 stop feel. I have the 1/2 stop on another lever.

------------------
Jim Smith jimsmith94@charter.net
-=Dekley D-12 10&12=-
-=Fessenden Ext. E9/U-13 8&8=-

Joerg Hennig

Bavaria, Germany
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 8:43 am    

The thing here is, in my opinion, it makes more sense musically to combine the lowered E´s with a C# than with a D. When you´re in a "B6" the C# is the equivalent of D on C6. (but you sure know that, Rainer.) If it were mine, I´d leave it the way it is and put the Eb to D on another lever (if you have enough). I never liked those half-stops anyway, more often than not they´re not very pronounced.

Regards, Joe H.

Rainer Hackstaette

Bohmte, Germany
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 9:48 am    

Joe,
when the E´s are down to Eb/D#, string 2 is indeed C#. (D wouldn´t make any sense, as you said.) But I could reach D before the E´s begin to lower. Would it make sense ergonomically to have a halfstop on that lever or, as Jim indicated, is it too much of a hassle to override that stop every time I want to lower 4+8.
You´re right: halftone stops aren´t as precise as single tone stops (that´s why I took out the original halftone stop D#-D-C# from RKR and split it between RKL and RKR. But I´d also like to have the "Franklin change" 1+2 raised to G# and E. Adding the halftone stop to the Eb-lever would free RKR. I already have 5 levers on E9 and there just isn´t any more room for an additional lever.

Then again: maybe I should just practice more and tinker less ...

------------------
Remington D 10 8+7, Sierra Crown D 10 gearless 8+8, Sierra Session S 14 gearless 8+5, Peavey Session 400 LTD

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 10:15 am    

Musically, you probably want the 2nd string D note along with the 4th string F note for diminished chords. If your F lever is on LKL, you would lose that chord.

Ergonomically, the 2nd string D is often used with the AB or BC pedal positions. How good are you at holding that half-stop while you rock your foot on the pedals? I can't do it, myself, but then I've always been a real klutz with half-stops.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 11:13 am    

Half stops as b0b said, are a real problem for me. NEVER ever got used to it. NOT until I put the D AND the C# on different levers did I become happy with it. I will never go back to a half stop. But I concede that it works fine for many players. Or so it seems.

As to putting the D# to C# on the lever that lowers the E's I have found this lever to become much too stiff for me. Every guitar I have sat behind with this arrangement would tire me out in a hearbeat. Especially since I use this lever Sooooo much.

I see the need for it and would love to do it. But it is just too stiff for my tastes. I have heard that a "Franklin" PSG can have 4, 5, 6 or more changes on a knee lever and it is as easy as pie. Plus, NO additional travel required.

I sure would love to try one of these out to see for myself. "Cuz if'n this is true, they have broken the laws of leverage.

Carl

Bengt Erlandsen

Brekstad, NORWAY
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 1:34 pm    

The 2nd string Eb-D-C# has so many uses combined w/ E's to Eb or E's to F that I
really believe it should be on a separate knee-lever.
Mine lowers 2nd string to D and then 2 & 9 to C#. Uses 9th string lowering-finger as
the halfstop. Depending on how tight I adjust the return spring on the 9th string
I can have a real good halfstop-feel or almost no halfstop at all.

The combination E's to Eb and 2nd to D also has lots of potential for interesting riffs.

This example might sound a little more blues than country but I included it anyway just
to show an example of how and where it can be used.

E7 riff

F#--------------8-----------8-----------8-------8----------------------------------
Eb-8LL~~~~~~8L----------8L----------8L--------------8L~8LL-------------------------
G#------------------8-----------8------------8-------------------------------------
E ------------8L--8L--8L--8L--8L--8L--8L--8L------8L------8L------------8L~~~~~~8L-
B ----------------------------------------------------------8-----------8~~~~~~~8a-
G#------------------------------------------------------------8---8----------------
F#--------------------------------------------------------------8------------------
E ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
D ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
B ---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
slowly squeeze that Apedal at the end only halfway

Bengt

Rainer Hackstaette

Bohmte, Germany
Post  Posted 29 Apr 2002 2:08 pm    

b0b,
since the second string reaches the note D before the E´s start to lower, I can raise them to F without a problem. So the diminished chord is still there.
But you´re right: holding a lever at a half stop for any length of time is indeed awkward. I guess I´ll just forget about the whole idea and leave the guitar as it is. Half stops are truly a hassle.

Carl,
the D# to C# on the Eb-lever does make that lever considerably stiffer. That lever also pulls string 3 on the B6 neck from B to Bb so that there are 4 pulls on one lever. I was thinking about taking the B to Bb lower off that lever and putting it on a vertical lever that operates only on the B6 neck. (There are 8 levers altogether, 5 for E9 and 5 for B6 with RKL and RKR doing double duty.) That way there would be only 3 pulls on the Eb-lever, making it easier to play (I hope).

Bengt,
sorry, I didn´t see your post when I wrote the reply - it arrived while I was (ever so slowly) typing it. That riff looks interesting, but I couldn´t play it anyway, because I lower the E´s on RKL and D# to D on RKR. I have tried to put the E to Eb on LKR, but the combination with the B pedal was just too uncomfortable for me. So I guess it´s true: you can´t have everything.

Thanks everybody, you all have saved me a couple of hours working on my guitar upside down that I can now spend playing it right side up! (I kinda knew it was a dumb idea to begin with ...)

Rainer

------------------

[This message was edited by Rainer Hackstaette on 29 April 2002 at 03:20 PM.]