The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Back to basics questions
Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2002 10:10 am    

I am coming back to pedal steel after a long break. I played off and on for about 2yrs total. I have alot of the J. Newman and Scotty courses etc... This time I am trying to learn the guitar and not the effects (sold my profex II). I am playing straight from the guitar to a sessions 400 limited no volume pedal and very little reverb.

Amp EQ settings

Before I re-invent the wheel again what is a good starting point for EQ settings on the amp? In particular that pesky little mid shift knob. I understand every amp has it's own voice I'm just looking for a good starting point.

Music

Learning in a vacuum, just playing scales and chords is good for technique but does little for the ear. Can someone suggest some basic, simple but good recordings I can listen to. I want to learn simple licks and solos off standards and ballads any style of music.

Thanks

Glenn Austin

Montreal, Canada
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2002 10:32 am    

Buck Owens. Greatest Hits 1 and 2. You can't go wrong with that.

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2002 3:35 pm    

My two favorites are Earnest Tubb's "My Pick of the Hits", and "Mr. and Mrs. Used To Be" by Earnest and Loretta Lynn. I don't think you'll find them in any store, but they do appear on some of the record sites like Old Homestead Records, and of course on e-bay. Steel all over the place, and it's all beautiful stuff.

Tim Rowley

Pinconning, MI, USA
Post  Posted 24 Apr 2002 7:58 pm    

Ollin,

Mid-shift knob around 800. Bass 3/4 open, mid's 1/3 to 1/2 open, treble 1/3 to 1/2 open, presence about 1/2 open. Keep master gain higher than pre-gain. Reverb to taste, about 3 to 6 on the knob. Go get 'em.

Tim R.

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2002 7:27 am    

What Tim Said.

Using the clock,

Bass 3 o'clock

Mid 10 o'clock

Shift 800

Treble 1 o'clock

Presence 2 o'clock

If you are not satisfied with these settings try this:

1. Put all EQ controls in the mid position.

2. Now, start with the shift at 800 and the mid to the left of center a bit. Note the tonal change on strings 5 and 6 (around the 8th fret) particularly.

Does it sound better or worse? If better, move the shift a little more. If worse, try the shift to the right of center and repeat.

3. Once you have the mid and shift to your liking, concentrate on the treble. Go to the left OR right of center and note the sound on the 3rd string somewhere above the 12th fret. Try adding some harmony strings with it also.

(NOTE: Peavey amps have very active controls. In other words a little goes a LOOOOOOOOOOONG way ! Some guitars, especially aluminum necks, are very strong in the treble area. So be very light on this control. Make tiny adjustments either way.

4. Now work on the bass control but concentrate on the lower strings at the lower frets. Careful on the bass control. It can and often does make the mids "muddy" if set a bit too much.

5. Try to adjust these controls with an eye (ear ) towards WHAT the control was designed to do!

6. Now have someone listen to your steel sitting about 8 feet or more in front of your guitar as you adjust and play while adjusting the presence control. Be surprised at what that person hears and what YOU hear are very different.

Once you have these controls set to your liking, try to tweak them, adjusting in very miniscule amounts (in either direction), remembering WHAT they were designed to do.

Sound, and primarily tone, is in the "ears" of the beholder. And time of day, tired versus refreshed and invironment play a major role in perceived sound.

God bless you in your attempts,

carl

Ollin Landers

Willow Springs, NC
Post  Posted 25 Apr 2002 8:06 am    

Thanks to all for your help

C.Dixon

Thats what I was looking for...

A good starting point - Then what to adjust next by way of what strings to pick and what amp knob to turn.

I've been a folk and country blues player so all your suggestions on types of music have already been purchased or borrowed.