The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Time and People
Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 13 May 2000 7:09 pm    

I've got to ask a question to the world and since you guys really are my world-here it goes.

What is it, with this day and age, of people having to have a custom guitar Now-or not at all?

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of you out there that have been very patient and wonderful in waiting for updates and new modifications to the Melobro's and Supersteels and have been terrific, and most of you know, I think by now, that I look at you as friends and not as customers and want to build the very best for you.

But, at least once a week I get a person saying they want a unique, custom, one of a kind instrument, and they are so excited about getting it, but if they have to wait a month or more to get it-well-then-forget it! Maybe I'm just stupid, but what in the world is going on? Are we in such a fast food world that the same mentality is carried over to a specialized thing they may have the rest of their life, hopefully not something they are going to burp in an hour and move on, or are they so afraid of the end of the world...or What!!?

Why in the world would anyone want an instrument that is being made especially for them, Rushed,? I don't get paid more if I take the extra time to go back and re-clear coat a guitar for the 5th or 6th time, truth is I'm often lucky to break even on some custom guitar work. So why are some of these guitarist(of all people)so impatient they don't want you to take the time to build it right?

I'm getting so tired of it I'm trying to figure out a polite way to say, "if it's not worth waiting for us to take the time to build it right-don't order it". Several other builders have told me they believe it's far worse than ever this year and they are raising their prices to compensate for more labor and overnighting parts, because no one has a problem with price-just time. Is this true guys? I must be sitting in the old world still-please, tell me what is going on?

Ted

gerry szostak

windsor,ca,
Post  Posted 13 May 2000 11:54 pm    

Hello Ted. I would say that you should charge these people for the option of cramming a job on a guitar. The quality would most likely suffer but then you get what you pay for. I would only hope you would leave the option open for someone willing to give the you the time to build a guitar as it should be and reflect the price accordingly.

Earnest Bovine

Los Angeles CA USA
Post  Posted 14 May 2000 1:25 am    

I agree with you, Ted. How can I say I need it now, after it takes me 5 years to decide that I need it?

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 14 May 2000 3:50 am    

These folks need a little reality check, Ted.

- The wait for a Bear Creek is about 6 weeks.
- Beard & Sheerhorn's list is about a year
- For the top custom archtop jazz guitar builders, the wait may approach 2 years.

So... one month for a quality custom steel is like no time at all. As you know, there is a catagory of customer that likes to test the waters ... call all the makers, get their catalogs, check prices, even call about custom work and then NEVER do anything. (I've been guilty of this once or twice myself ) Bottom line: if they won't wait, they're not serious buyers.

Jon Light

Saugerties, NY
Post  Posted 14 May 2000 4:47 am    

I think a reasonable approach would be to build in a safe fudge-factor and establish it as policy--"custom orders: 6 weeks delivery time". Then try to beat it and deliver early whenever possible. Then, if it is feasible, have a provision for rush orders--3 weeks--$xxx. But that may not be feasible--certain things like finishes can't be rushed and you can't screw up your production schedule for one guitar.
But you do need a firm stated policy.
Custom Carters (lacquer finish) take longer than the standard guaranteed delivery time for stock guitars and I was informed of this. Once I decided it was the way to go I had made my choice to wait. And the guitar arrived a couple of weeks ahead of the promised date.
I think that if you appear ready and willing to accomodate all comers they will walk all over you. It is a balance between being a mom and pop friend of the customer and a businessman who knows his business and can tell his customers "this is what it is". I tend to have more trust in the man who states it clearly and knows what's what than the guy who promises anything/everything and can't say no, even if he's well-meaning.

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 14 May 2000 4:47 am    

Hey, Ted. I don't mean to be pushy, but don't you think your time might be better spent working on my Supersteel than writing letters to the Forum?!
Actually I think your production times are remarkably short. If I get my instrument in anything close to the time you suggested, I'll be delighted, but even if it takes much longer, that's fine by me. You don't rush quality workmanship. I happily waited almost a year for my Yanuziello resophonic, knowing the quality that was going into it, and I'm sure the vast majority of your customers feel the same way. Keep up the good work - at your own pace.

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 14 May 2000 6:22 am    

Hi Ted,as a customer/friend and manufacturer in the headwear industry (standard & custom),
I can well relate to what you speak of.The person who can't wait would have to spend some time in your shoes to realize what is involved in custom work.Custom work,like sample making takes more time,energy,thought,
and labor.Do you make a lot of money from this? Absolutely not.If an item takes up a certain amount of time,there is "the point of no return".It doen't matter how much you charge,your production time becomes more valuable than whatever you might make on this custom item.You can never recoup production time and if your standard production time becomes longer, you lose re -orders and so your loss is double fold.
I do a lot of custom work and every once in awhile I will turn down an enormous time consuming job because you just couldn't pay me enough to lose production time.
I think that Ted Smith is a valuable resource in this industry who goes out of his way to accomadate customers and offers quite a variety of innovative,quality insstruments,and is happy to do so. Thanks Ted, now when can I have my "Rattocaster"?
(ONLY KIDDING)I'm every bit confident that it is well worth the wait,and I'm happy to do so. Howard

g montgomery

austin
Post  Posted 16 May 2000 11:28 am    

WWJD?

bill johnson

Post  Posted 16 May 2000 11:51 am    

FWIW my Boot Maker say's 10 to 12 weeks per pair. (and thats for made to measure stock designs not not "customs".

bill

------------------

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 16 May 2000 1:52 pm    

I doubt "J" would have to wait

Andy Greatrix

Edmonton Alberta
Post  Posted 16 May 2000 4:56 pm    

Ted, the majority of forumites have nothing but the utmost respect for you and your products and workmanship. John Ricard showed me one of your lap steels when I visited Pheonix last year, and I was so envious that it bordered on jealousy. Don't pay any attention to the ignorent people of the world. If they don't realize that quality takes time, mere words won't have any effect on them.
All the best,-Andy

Ted Smith

Idaho - shot of Jeff Peterson, Ted and Smith Curry "Nothing but the taillights tour"
Post  Posted 16 May 2000 5:17 pm    

I don't know Mike, J has waited many many times on us all from what I've seen.

I appreciate the feed back guys. I still don't know if there is an answer, you're never going to change the patience of the people in our current society and I'm sure I'm as guilty. I do believe Melobar has to set a policy - if the person can not wait for us to build the guitar right, then politely ask them not to order it in the first place. We are a very small company and can't afford to order parts for people and put the labor into the instruments and have them jerk the order. I think what has happened is Lap Steel has moved out of our small fraternity of people who work with the builder as a part of the project, to, mainstream - give it to me Now.

Is it just me or does it seem people are getting stressed to the point of borderline out of control? It sounds "Korny", but that is one thing I always hope our guitars and the music does for their owners, is take them out of this world for a little while.

I also want to add that this topic was not directed at anyone above, almost all of the forumites have been terrific to build for.

Oh, and by the way, I'm not talking about calling for a progress report, I expect that, and that is why we send you the 3 page "welcome to the Melobar family" letter when you buy a guitar, explaining the building process, so you have a better idea of what is happening to it. It's something I would want to know and that is why we are doing that.

Ted

PS. Ian, it's 7pm and I'm actually spraying on your guitar another round of primer tonight and Howard, I got your blueprint on the Rattocastor today and have questions on it and on the 8-string Melobro nut spacing.

[This message was edited by Ted Smith on 16 May 2000 at 06:27 PM.]

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 16 May 2000 5:45 pm    

Ted: I just got the 3-page letter you mention above in the mail today. Had I needed any reassurance about the care that goes into Melobar instruments, that letter would've done it. A really nice touch, which I'm sure your other customers appreciate as much as I did. This will be the first new lap steel I've ever owned, and it's great to know I'll be getting a piece of workmanship as fine and distinctive as any of the great vintage instruments I've had the pleasure to own. Believe me, Ted, your hard work doesn't go unappreciated!

Ted Smith

Post  Posted 16 May 2000 6:59 pm    

ooo-shoot Ian, now I'll have to do a nice job on that Supersteel...just joking, my gut goes into everyone we build, that one is going to look nice. I remember guitars like some people talk about their kids. We'll build you a nice one.

Ted

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 16 May 2000 7:34 pm    

Lucky you, Andy, My Bear Creek took 6 Months!!!...worth the wait tho,
Mike

Joe E

Houston Texas
Post  Posted 17 May 2000 6:05 am    

Hi Ted,

Last night I recieved the 3 page letter too. I was just ready to post a topic on how great it is to deal with your company. Then I saw your post.

Folks...Ted's company is a real pleasure to deal with. And I do believe that Ted's heart goes into each unit made. Yesterday I did the ole' check-in on how things were going on my order. Ted responded very quickly. He also stated that he didn't like the way the guitar dyed (stained) when he added the color, and is having Marc re-work it. It's the little details that will make Ted's guitars stand out in history.

Ted as much of a hurry that I am in to play this instrument, you take all the time needed to insure that it goes out the door the way you feel comfortable with.

(PS: I was lucky to order my guitar during the April (15th) sale, and at this point Ted will probably be lucky to break even on it.)

Joe

[This message was edited by Joe E on 17 May 2000 at 07:06 AM.]

Mike Tatro

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2000 6:37 am    

Ted, I think you've got the right idea.

Your lead times are your lead times. If someone can't hang with that, well maybe they shouldn't place the order. At that point it's up to you to decide how bad you want their business.

FYI, I waiting for a local luthier to finish up a tele body for me. He's been a week away from finishing for about six weeks now. 'Know what, I don't want him to rush it. I've got other guitars I can play, I want his best work.

I feel the same way about my SuperSteel. I'm so grateful that when push came to shove and I really needed it that you and your team busted their tail to get it to me, even though that Charile Daniels Band show fell thru at the last minute.

I hope you also appreciate that when there is no hurry on my part that I let you know that as well (as with the MeloBro you're finishing for me).

I like it best when I can be honest and upfront with a vendor. Unfortunately, with some guys I have to fudge my due dates on stuff I really *do* need by a certain date 'cause they are perpetually a month late on everything. After the first or second time, I get wise to that and just tell them I need it a month earlier. I'm so grateful that you and I have a better relationship than that. I think the world of you and your team.

God bless!

Mike D

Phx, Az
Post  Posted 17 May 2000 6:42 am    

Ted, I know from reading His Book that His patience has no bounds, but would you really make Him wait if He wanted a steel?

I don't make guitars professionally but I understand where your coming from. A common comment I get from people when I show 'em a guitar I've built is, "Wow, it took you HOW LONG, I would never have the patience." We do live in a world where "delayed gratification" is rarely practiced. Which reminds me, I need to get off the computer and get some shirts printed. Deadlines ya know.

g montgomery

austin
Post  Posted 18 May 2000 8:46 am    

"Between Ted and Daymon and Curt...." - Jesus.