The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  My GFI Experience

Post  Posted 18 Apr 2002 1:41 pm    

There's been quite a bit of interest on the forum about GFI steels. I thought I'd chime in about my new GFI. I'll try to make this short and sweet.

1. Looks: Well, you be the judge. I think my GFI is a thing of beauty -- simple and elegant. I happen to love the black-on-black treatment, reminds me of a Steinway grand piano. Even the pedals get that special treatment. I put some pictures on my website for you to see:
http://www.skobrien.com/gfi/gfi.htm

2. Sound: This subject is so personal that I won't try to make any grand statements. I love the sound. I find that it's a little mellower than a lot of steels (like my dearly-loved MCI, for example). But for my taste, I prefer that mellower kind of sound. I'm sure a different choice of pickup could give it a different sound. One thing I did notice, however, is that those pickups are HOT. My amp sounds twice as loud than it does with either my MCI or Sho-Bud.

3. Under the Hood: I took a few shots of underneath so you can see for yourself what a beautiful work of engineering this guitar is. This has to be the easiest-to-setup steel I've seen. The bell cranks are so well designed and all the cross shafts have mid-body supports to prevent deflection in the shaft.

4. Legs: I wouldn't usually single out legs for attention, but the GFI's legs are not only unique, they are really great. They are so light, but more than strong enough. The front legs are not adjustable, the rear ones do adjust a little for those who prefer a slight tilt in their steel. I took the standard size leg, which fits my 6 foot frame just fine. GFI recommends that you specify your leg length in advance if you don't want the standard size.

5. Pedals and Knee levers: They are very smooth, as you would probably find on any modern steel, and I found the knee levers are particularly comfortable.

6. Light but not flimsy: My MCI is light, but I think the GFI is a bit lighter, which is just fine with me. Yet, it's so smooth and stable when played. I think that's due to the light action of the pedals and knee levers.

After staring at it, trying to come up with negatives, I can't think of any. I'm sure there are others who can help me out here.

All in all, I'd have to say that the GFI is a steel that anyone who is in the market should take a look at. By the way, I happen to have gotten mine from Bobbe Seymour, who's service certainly is in line with the fine quality of this instrument.

I'll me more than happy to answer any questions you might like to ask, either here on the forum or by email.

Steven Knapper

Temecula Ca USA
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2002 3:49 pm    

Stephan, you are saying what a lot of us have been saying or are finding out. Gene makes one heck of a guitar. 2 of the 3 guitars I have owned have been GFI and I couldn't be happier, albiet I do have a soft spot in my heart for my Carter-Starter --- Where ever she may be.

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Apr 2002 10:46 pm    

The GFI is still the most underated steel guitar on the market today! The tone, machine work, stampings, baked on finish, service, price, WOW! How can one do better!
Just look at these pictures! (Steve, clean your floor, pick up your socks!)
Do I sell these? Yes, But I believe in them also. You guys know me, If I didn't believe in it, I'd drop this line like a hot rock. I just wish they made one with only two knees!
I told Scotty I was only using Two knee levers and he replyed, "what do you do with the other one?"
Anyway, I think anyone that buys one of these guitars will have a hard time ever finding a better guitar to replace it with.

www.steelguitar.net

Post  Posted 19 Apr 2002 2:21 am    

Bobbe, that GFI just knocked my socks off. Can I help it? (geez, now my wife has you to tell me to pick up my underwear!)

Post  Posted 19 Apr 2002 9:56 am    

I can't tell you exactly what it weighs, but my guess is about 40 lbs by itself and between 50 and 60 or so in the case. If I can get a scale and weigh it, I'll post the results.

thanks

[This message was edited by Stephen O'Brien on 19 April 2002 at 01:17 PM.]

Steven Knapper

Temecula Ca USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2002 12:10 pm    

My S10 Ultra with pad weighted 52 lbs. in case.
My U12 single neck weights 43 lbs. in case.

Al Marcus

Cedar Springs,MI USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2002 8:52 pm    

That's right! The GFI S12 on a single body weighs only 31 Lbs all set up to play.

That weight compares with similar guitars from Carter, Williams and Excel....al

Bobbe Seymour

Hendersonville TN USA, R.I.P.
Post  Posted 20 Apr 2002 8:46 pm    

Yea Al, but the GFI tone is heavy, I guess cuz it's so fat! I like fat tone! Fat and sassy! Yep, A light guitar with a fat tone! Good combination! GFI, "Good, Fat , Intelligent" choice!

Two Ton Tone III