The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Anyone knows what is this???
Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2002 3:44 pm    

It is supposed to be an Sho~Bud but I never heard about this model.As a matter of fact there is two of them now for sale on Ebay. http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=858039440

------------------
http://hometown.aol.com/damirzanne/damirzanne1.html

[This message was edited by Damir Besic on 16 April 2002 at 04:46 PM.]

Louie Hallford

denison tx
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2002 5:34 pm    

Damir,I owned a cross over Sho Bud back in the early 70's.I really did not know what a good playing guitar felt like until I sold it and bought a new MSA.

The cross over was built with a lever that moved all the pedals and lever pulls to either the E9 neck or the C6 neck,allowing all pedals to be used on either neck.

It still seems to have been a good idea,but in my opinion was never improved to its maximum potential.

Every once in a while some one on the forum will indicate they got good results with it. That was not my case.I finally tied the lever to where it would stay engaged to my E9 neck.If I did not keep it tied it was always jumping out of gear so that none of the pedals engaged.

I admit to being the worlds poorest steel guitar mechanic so no doubt that was part of the problem.

Seems I saw something on the forum recently where someone was talking about trying to build one again. I still think it is a good idea,but I personally would not want one of the older ones unless I was getting it for a bargain price.

By the way the guitar was not new when I bought it which no doubt contributed to its playing condition.

Mr Bobbe Seymour no doubt can tell you everything there is to know about them.

Tony Prior

Charlotte NC
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2002 6:20 pm    

Damir, the first Sho-Bud D10 I ever saw was a Crossover model very similar to the one's on EBAY. This was way back in the early 70's in Norwalk Ct , I don't recall the guys name but he sure seemed great to me. I remember he would pull this handle deal to move the pedals from the front to the back neck ! I was thinking that it was very cool !
My friend who I was with commented that the player was very skilled on C6 but limited on E9th, but back then ,what the heck did I know, actually , today, now, what the heck do I know ! But I have seen a few Crossover's thru the years and both on EBAY look like good examples.
tp

Bobby Lee

Cloverdale, California, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2002 7:25 pm    

quote:
The cross over was built with a lever that moved all the pedals and lever pulls to either the E9 neck or the C6 neck,allowing all pedals to be used on either neck.

It still seems to have been a good idea,but in my opinion was never improved to its maximum potential.

My Williams 400X is pretty close to that "maximum potential", Louie.

------------------
Bobby Lee - email: quasar@b0b.com - gigs - CDs
Sierra Session 12 (E9), Williams 400X (Emaj9, D6), Sierra Olympic 12 (F Diatonic) Sierra Laptop 8 (D13), Fender Stringmaster (E13, A6)

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2002 7:31 pm    

I hope he posts picture of the underside as he said he would. I don't see the crossover lever in the eBay pictures.

steve takacs

beijing, china via pittsburgh (deceased)
Post  Posted 16 Apr 2002 11:35 pm    

Have to agree with b0b on this one. Last summer I got to try this crossover mechanism at Bill Rudolph's (maker of Williams guitar) place and WOW is that mechanism efficient! Check it out for yourself if you get a chance. Steve

HowardR

N.Y.C.-Fire Island-Asheville
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2002 3:28 am    

The Fender PS 210, which was so far ahead of it's time, was a crossover that was flawless.

Scott Howard

Georgetown, TN, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2002 5:00 am    

The Fulawka D-10 at the Chattanooga show last weekend had one knee lever done this way,you could use it on either neck or both necks and worked great.I thought this might work to give you a dual purpose knee lever for special changes you don't use to often.I realize it was set for either neck but if you used it to work 2 cross shafts on E9 neck for example you could use it for a 6th string drop 1 tone or pull the lever and add the rest of the Franklin 4th pedal freeing up one pull rod at the changer and also giving you a one tone drop on strings 5 & 10 wich is not a common change but I am sure someone could figure a way to use it somewhere.This just one posible use I am sure there are a bunch more but it might be an alternative to a few of the hard to hit knee levers.

[This message was edited by Scott Howard on 17 April 2002 at 06:01 AM.]

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2002 7:19 am    

I am confused by this ebay guitar. If Sho-Bud ever made a crossover with 7 pedals, 3 knee levers and aluminum frame, I am not aware of it. Has anyone on this forum ever heard of one?

The only "Sho-Bud crossover" I know of has 6 pedals, 1 knee lever and a wooden body. NO aluminum frame. Further, it would be very difficult (if not impossible), to add any more pedals and/or knee levers on this guitar.

Does anyone see a "crossover" lever in the pictures? The pictures showed up quite dark on my screen and I could not see a lever. But there may have been one.

I do know that Sho-Bud made some guitars with 7 pedals. But they were NOT crossover models.

I wish the seller good luck on this sale. But I would love to see the underside of this guitar.

carl

Jim Smith

Midlothian, TX, USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2002 7:31 am    

Carl, all the Sho-Bud crossovers I've seen, including the one I owned, had a complete wrap-around cast aluminum frame with a flat black finish. The tops were solid maple and had a maple front over the aluminum. They all had six pedals and one knee lever, although I guess it would have been possible to order more from the factory at the time of manufacture.

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2002 8:05 am    

Notice the pedal bar, and see that the 1st pedal has it's own axle, and the other six are split 3 to an axle. If it started life as a Crossover, someone added the 1st pedal to the original six.

My Crossover was probably a '71 or '72 model, and the necks are wood from the roller nuts all the way back. This guitar is like my Pro II, as it has aluminum around the pickup and changer. Also, I don't recall having a toggle switch on the back.

My guess is - Someone started with an old Baldwin Crossover, added a pedal & levers, polished the endplates & "frame", added the chrome tuners, and refinished the guitar. Either at the factory, or by an individual.

[This message was edited by Kenny Davis on 17 April 2002 at 09:10 AM.]

Kenny Davis

Great State of Oklahoma
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2002 8:08 am    

OK, this is odd. I just looked again, and it looks like the crossover lever is just to the left of the toggle switch! It is on the opposite side, and larger than the normal lever. Anyone else see it?

Wayne Brown

Bassano, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2002 10:43 am    

this bawldwin has been modifide i've updated two of them and it's a nightmare and alot of work to do if your going to leave the guitar the way it is and not update it ..it could work for you...i hope this helps

wayne brown
c/o out west pac-seats

Damir Besic

Nashville,TN.
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2002 5:17 pm    

Thanks guy`s.I didn`t know that that guitar was so called "Crossover" but I figured out that something is funky.I sent him a message and told him to ask Buddy about it and he did,but Buddy answerd him that he doesn`t know anything about it,after that he posted on the Ebay that he is still waiting on Buddy`s answer but have never heard back from him.However,weird,I think I`ll stick with "Regular" Sho~Bud models
this is another one http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=859484764

------------------
http://hometown.aol.com/damirzanne/damirzanne1.html

[This message was edited by Damir Besic on 19 April 2002 at 06:20 PM.]