EugieBaange

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 3 May 2000 10:46 am    

I've been using Jerry Byrd's C6/A7 tuning
on my 6 string and, while I think it's a
great tuning for chords, I've found it a
bit lacking in the single-note/double stop
dept. Just doesn't have "that steel sound"
I have in my head (then, I've only been playing for 2-1/2 months; maybe it's just
my own lack facility).

So I found John Ely's site and he has an E13 (B D F# G# C# E) that looked interesting.
In the 10 minutes I've spent with it so far, it seems to have more of "that sound". Not much for chords but it has every interval I can imagine using so pretty much any chord can be "implied" with the appropriate double stops.

Does anyone have experience/thoughts with/about this E13 they might like to share?
Any favorite licks? I'm kinda looking for
a pedal steel sound without the pedals. I'd
love to get a pedaller but my wife would kill me. N'that ain't no joke, man!

Thanks all.

[This message was edited by EugieBaange on 03 May 2000 at 01:53 PM.]

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 3 May 2000 11:53 am    

Implying chords is the name of the game with non-pedal steel.You may want to pick up an 8 stringer.It represents the MINIMUM number of strings that you need to get the root and fith in octaves,the major third-and all the extensions in a 13 chord.At that point,if you're good at slanting and know your substitutions,you can really play a lot of music on that tuning(check out Tom Morrell)Also,when tuning up a 13th tuning,I find it most effective to tune every note straight up on a tuner.Try getting the 5th,6th,7th and 9th tones in tune w/each other using just intonation(no beats) and you'll see why. -MJ-

EugieBaange

San Francisco, CA
Post  Posted 4 May 2000 11:47 am    

OK, I take it back! I was going back & forth between C6/A7 and E13 (and the Leavitt) and I think the C6/A7 *will* give me what I want.
Maybe it's just that I've using it for the past several weeks and it's beginning to feel
familiar. I guess I should be more patient and learn what the C6/A7 can do (gotta work on my string pulls). Besides, with a gig coming up this Sat, this is no time to start over with a new tuning. Now, what to do with the tuning on my other lap steel...
Thanks all

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 4 May 2000 4:58 pm    

The 8-string E13th is an excellent tuning for Blues, Western Swing and even some jazz and Hawaiian tunes. It's beautifully voiced for both cascading roll licks up and down a chord and two, three and four note (and bigger) voicings for chord melody. That big, fat, 8-string 13th chord works great for back-up or endings. You can pretty much cover most of the Western Swing catalog with A6th & E13th on a double neck guitar.

Mike Tatro

Oregon, USA
Post  Posted 5 May 2000 10:16 am    

I recently switched to E13 from C6 mainly 'cause I'm a guitar player who fools around with non-pedal console steel.

I was always getting crossed-up on my positions.

One of my litmus test for a tuning that meets my needs is the head to Martina McBride's "Broken Wing." Getting that 6 to cascade is really easy with E13. I'm sold. I feel like this tuning is one I can stick with for awhile.

Bill Findlay

Baytown, Texas, USA
Post  Posted 17 May 2000 11:44 am    

Little Roy wiggins used the E13th tuning. You might get some of his recording and listen to them. His tuning was:
1. G# .010
2. E .014
3. C# .017
4. B .017
5. G# .020P
6. E .030W
7. D .034W
8. B .036W or E .054W