The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Goto page Previous  1, 2
Reply to topic
Author Topic:  P/P or Le Grande III
Rusty Hurse

Hendesonville, Tn
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2002 11:33 pm    

You have to remember the tone is not always in the guitar and amp, it does help though. The tone is in the right and left hand and the amount of pressure that you use.The LeGrande is a great guitar and so is the old push pull, but I will have to tell you if you want that push pull sound in an all pull guitar then try the Derby.(A JBL SPEAKER HELPS TOO).Just try a Derby through a Standel and see what happens. LOL

John Lacey

Black Diamond, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2002 2:41 am    

Tommy White's tone on the video with Lloyd is the best all-pull tone I've ever heard him play and I've heard him play the gamut of steels on his T.V. show.

Teirre Humpherys

Rigby, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2002 8:29 am    

Hi Guys and Gals,

I just most recently took delivery on a new red laquer finish with aluminum necks and the Tommy White pick-ups. The sound is increadable as compared to the five guitars I've owned including my most recent LeGrande II. Yes, I had to adjust the knee levers to fit my legs and what not. It plays very easy.

Now onto the LeGrande II and III. I've heard positive and negative responses about the counter-force. Some have backed it off and others have disengauged it completely. They didn't like the pedal feel. To each his own.

One of our good pals in Nashville mentioned he didn't like the counter-force but liked the LeGrande II.

Best regards,

Teirre R. Humpherys

Teirre Humpherys

Rigby, Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2002 8:35 am    

Oops! I forgot to mention that my new steel is a DERBY!!!!

Teirre

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 13 Apr 2002 4:37 pm    

Me and my LeGrande II will go to the grave together!

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2002 8:56 am    

It seems to me that the Emmons Guitar Co. (I don't know the managers or even who owns it) would be manufacturing the P/P of the original design and the Le Grande today,___both.

From what I gather form this thread, most players like the P/P better than the Le Grande.

Remember, Fender has made reissue amps and some other instrument makers have marketed reissue products.

What am I missing here? Does the cost of production of the P/P guitar today make it's reissue prohibitive?

Thanks for all replies.

Rick

Herb Steiner

Spicewood TX 78669
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2002 9:12 am    

Rick
The PP is a more costly instrument to manufacture, as you alluded to in your last sentence. The differences include, but are not limited to, different castings, machined parts instead of stamped parts,... many things too numerous to mention. But more importantly, the makers of the Emmons Guitar run a Mom and Pop (literally) operation, like all steel builders do. Steel builders simply don't reach the economy of scale needed to build such a variety of products.

The manufacturing and marketing resources available to companies like Emmons and companies like Fender or Peavey are not even comparable. As big as Fender was, you know why they quit building steel guitars? They couldn't handle guys asking for custom knee levers. It screwed up the manufacturing process.

Yeah, I know... the late 70's Fenders. Don't go there. They were Sho~Buds.

------------------
Herb's Steel Guitar Pages
Texas Steel Guitar Association

Rick Collins

Claremont , CA USA
Post  Posted 14 Apr 2002 9:19 am    

Now it makes sense Herb. Thanks, Rick

Lem Smith

Long Beach, MS
Post  Posted 15 Apr 2002 8:57 am    

Thanks Glenn and Kevin. I appreciate it.

Lem