The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Fender 800 changer info wanted
Harold Jack Baker

Ladora, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2002 7:02 pm    

I need to alter the set up on a Fender 800 mechanism and I don't want to make any disasterous mistakes. Can anyone give me the info on the changer. There are two banks of places to attatch cables and phillips screws that look like tuning screws. It used to be set up for C6th but I want to change it to E9th with added 6th . (I think) Texas Jack baker

------------------
Texas Jack

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 7 Apr 2002 8:44 pm    

Here's a link to the 1000 manual. This describes the process of tuning and setup pretty well. The only difference is that this is for the D-8 guitar, and you have an s-10. Otherwise, all steps and procedures are the same.
http://www.edusoft.ca/1000/

Michael Johnstone

Sylmar,Ca. USA
Post  Posted 8 Apr 2002 12:42 am    

There is a difference and that is the 400s and 1000s have single raise/single lower and the 800s and 2000s have double raise/double lower.The raises and lowers are laid out in a row of 20 side by side and if you've got the guitar upside down starting from the high string side,it goes raise,lower(1st string),raise,lower(2nd string)and so on.Underneath that layer of mechanisims(closer to the bottom of the guitar)is the second raise and lower mechanisms and they're laid out the same way.The screws at the end of the guitar are laid out in a row of 20 side by side as well w/raise being a silver screw and lower being a black screw.So it goes silver,black,silver,black etc.There's a second row of screws for the second raises and lowers.There are no stops for the pedals themselves so the screws at the end of the guitar are the only stops.I view that as one of the guitar's few mechanical shortcomings and on my 800 I put hard stops on the pedals and the 6 knee levers I added and then syncronized them with the aforementioned endplate stops.This relieves the stress on the little wire loops and the rest of the cable chain connections which it seems,could break or come unsoldered in time - especially w/a heavy foot on the pedals.It also makes the pedal action extremely solid like a modern guitar.In general,I have no problem with the cable/pulley design apart from the hassle I had of finding or making the fittings/pulleys,yokes,etc for the knee levers I built.And after adding a second matching single coil pickup w/a blender pot,it sounds like every West Coast fanatic's wet dream - a 10 string Fender Stringmaster with 6+6. -MJ-