The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  fingerpick help
Jim Whitaker

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 16 Mar 2002 10:22 pm    

I can't seem to get my finger picks right. Is there a correct way to wear them? I have seen them wrapped completely over the fingertips & also just barely bent (usually as you buy them). Is there a right or wrong way??

------------------
JIM
"73" MSA S10, "74" LTD 400, "55" Esquire, "63 Epiphone, "63" Precision,
"71" Jazz (The Bass)
REAL OLD STUFF

Bob Mainwaring

Qualicum Beach Vancouver Island B.C. Canada
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2002 12:59 am    

Jim - how long is a piece of string??
Evreyone here has a general rule that they stick to, for themselves.
The first rule is to feel comfortable with them in place, try your "grip" and see/feel what and where you attack the string and what direction they approach.
Personaly I bend them just slightly to curve around the finger tips but not too much as the tone will be affected.
I instead of a straight-on placement, I angle them slightlty to come around so that they attack in a straight line picking towards you.
To make sure they stay in place, I usually wet my finger ends by sticking each one in turn in my mouth, this way it has just enough damp feel to keep them in place.
Some guys use a glue kinda thing called Gorrila Snot which you can get at some of the dealers on your side of the border. This apparently keeps your picks in place.
After a while you get used to how they feel and correct them acordingly.

Bob Mainwaring. Z.Bs. and other weird things.

------------------

Bill Moore

Manchester, Michigan
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2002 6:33 am    

The great thing about the JF picks made by Jeff Newman is that they are pre-bent, and made of stiff metal so that they stay that way.

DJ Sillito

Lethbrige, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2002 1:17 pm    

Jim If you don't mind me adding my two cents worth. I always found my biggest problem was wrapping them around the finger and then having the overlapped portion on the back of the knuckle always inadvertantly hitting the string above the one I was picking. If you would like to try something for the fun of it
get a pair of Ernie Ball Banjo picks. The are very lightweight easy to bend and wrap around the finger easily. The also have a pointed or tapered end. The may wear out a little faster but they only cost $1.00/pair approx.
As far as tone goes I think they sound a lot brighter than my $6.00(canadian funds) pair of Reso Picks. Anyways I sure like the banjo picks but hey it just my preference.

Keep Steelin,
DJ

Jim Whitaker

Ohio, USA
Post  Posted 17 Mar 2002 7:18 pm    

I have been playing since october 2001 & I use a pair that are not curved over my fingers at all they just come barely over my fingertips. is this wrong if so I want to change right away to get out of any bad habits early.

------------------
JIM
"73" MSA S10, "74" LTD 400, "55" Esquire, "63 Epiphone, "63" Precision,
"71" Jazz (The Bass)
REAL OLD STUFF

[This message was edited by Jim Whitaker on 17 March 2002 at 08:32 PM.]

DJ Sillito

Lethbrige, Alberta, Canada
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 11:58 am    

Jim just to clarify about the picks there are two parts of the pick that can be bent or shaped. The part of the pick that actually strikes the string and the band portion that wraps around the finger. The striking portion or the actual "pick" should have some curve to it. How much may vary depending on what is comfortable for you. I feel that if the pick is too straight it requires you to lift your hand more to clear the pick from the string after you have plucked it. The band portion in my case overlaps each other because my fingers are smaller if your fingers are larger or wider you may not have a problem at all with the band overlapping itself.
By the way when I first strapped a pair of picks on I had no clue whatsoever on how to where them. I put them on backwards like an extra set of long fingernails and I plucked the strings and they caught and the recoil of the strings flung the picks right off my fingers on to the floor. I was only 14 years old and that was my introdution to steel pickin'.

Good luck
keep Steelin'
DJ Sillito

Buddy Emmons

Hermitage, TN USA * R.I.P.
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 3:16 pm    

Assuming the band of the pick fits comfortably around the finger, there are two angles in the pick blade that can give you an uncomfortable feeling while playing. If the angle is too straight, it will drag against the string, and when bent too far, the blade surface has little string resistance and slides off the string too easily. Either angle can affect your timing. Somewhere in between is the angle that allows the blade surface to slide comfortably off the string, but creates just enough resistance to offer a slight snap in the feel without the drag.

Dave Birkett

Oxnard, CA, USA
Post  Posted 18 Mar 2002 5:00 pm    

Does anyone adjust the convexity of the blade or just the angle relative to the band?

Joe Adams

Washington C. H., Ohio 43160
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2002 4:15 am    

The blade portion should be bent slightly to match the curvature of your hand as you play. If you have trouble with the picks comming off, try putting a couple pieces of heat shrink about 1/8" wide on the top part that wraps around your finger. This will give you security. I have seen players have picks in all positions and play good. Get a position that feels good and then practice, practice, practice.

------------------

Chip Fossa

Monson, MA, USA (deceased)
Post  Posted 27 Mar 2002 6:07 am    

As far as the picks sliding off your finger
from time to time, as my hands get real dried out in the winter, especially, I've come up with my latest anti-slip application.

Being in the plumbing trade, I cut pieces of emery cloth [shine cloth, we call it] in a
rough T pattern. Opened up the picks a bit to
allow the T cloth to lay in there. Glued these T sections with fletching cement [cement used in gluing feathers to arrow shafts]. Used a proper fitting cork [from a wine bottle, maybe] and slowly squeezed the picks around the cork to better shape/contact the emery cloth to the pick.

After a good 24 hours to set up, I removed the corks, took a one-sided razor blade and trimmed off the excess emery cloth. I then went to my bench grinder and buffed & cleaned up the outside of the picks with a wire wheel. Hold the picks with needle nose pliers. The wire wheel also smoothed out the
rough razor blade cuts as well.

These picks really stay put in place. About the only way they would pop off, now,is if you got the pick hooked somehow on a string.

FWIW...ChipsAhoy

Donny Hinson

Glen Burnie, Md. U.S.A.
Post  Posted 29 Mar 2002 3:17 pm    

There are dozens of brands, types, and styles on the market. Keep trying different ones until you find the one that's comfortable, and gives you a clean, consistent sound.

Forming (re-shaping, or bending as some call it) is almost always necessary, as there are more fingers out there than there are brands and styles.

Mike DiAlesandro

Kent, Ohio
Post  Posted 2 Dec 2023 2:52 pm    

Buddy Emmons wrote:
Assuming the band of the pick fits comfortably around the finger, there are two angles in the pick blade that can give you an uncomfortable feeling while playing. If the angle is too straight, it will drag against the string, and when bent too far, the blade surface has little string resistance and slides off the string too easily. Either angle can affect your timing. Somewhere in between is the angle that allows the blade surface to slide comfortably off the string, but creates just enough resistance to offer a slight snap in the feel without the drag.

Words of wisdom from the man himself! Very Happy

Bobby D. Jones

West Virginia, USA
Post  Posted 3 Dec 2023 12:27 pm    

We all have different size fingers, Had fingers hurt and damaged.
It takes some work to get a set of picks to fit proper.
Be aware of the holes in the band wings. They act as hinges.
And make sharp bends that will catch on each other. If your fingers move close to each other. Those bends will catch on each other and 1 of the picks will go Flying.
Putting a spoon shape in tongue of the pick will help the pick contact the string squarely from slightly different angles.

If you have small fingers or fitting picks to a child, Just cut the wings so they do not overlap and make a big lump on top of finger nail, That can catch on string in front of your finger.