The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  C 6th Help
Harold Jack Baker

Ladora, Iowa, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2002 3:59 pm    

At the risk of sounding dumb (which I probably am ) I would like for someone to tell me which strings to lower or raise on a C6th tuning to get the chords used most in simple country songs. I have a Fender 800 neck without the cables and intend to install rods for the changer. I've got it all figured out except the notes needed. I'm using G on top E, C, A,G, E, C, A, F, C. I want to work with 2 pedals and 4 knee levers cause I'm unable to use the third pedal. Can anyone help? Thanks. Jack

------------------
Texas Jack

Erv Niehaus

Litchfield, MN, USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2002 5:35 pm    

Do a search on C6th tunings on the forum and you will come up with lots of help!

Jim Cohen

Philadelphia, PA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2002 5:57 pm    

Hey, Jack. Just curious: if your interest is in playing "simple country songs", why don't you choose the E9 tuning? There's a lot more instructional material for country music on E9 than on C6. Not that you can't play country on C6, but the more traditional sound is E9.

------------------
The "Master of Acceptable Tone"
www.jimcohen.com

Ernie Renn

Brainerd, Minnesota USA
Post  Posted 22 Mar 2002 6:39 pm    

I'm editing this, because I mis-read your question. I thought you were looking for some C6 instruction.
What I would do is look at a few different tunings. b0b has a pretty good list of them. b0b's Tuning charts! Then decide what looks like it would suit your needs the best. I'd start with Jimmy Day's set-up and go from there.
Good luck!

------------------
My best,
Ernie

The Official Buddy Emmons Website
www.buddyemmons.com

[This message was edited by Ernie Renn on 22 March 2002 at 08:17 PM.]

Jay Jessup

Charlottesville, VA, USA
Post  Posted 25 Mar 2002 7:04 am    

My 2 cents, since I have some experience with putting C6 on a 3 pedal S-10 I would recommend putting traditional pedal 5 and 7 on the two pedals you plan to use and then put pedals 6 and 8 on your left knee. With your right knee I would lower the high C to B with RKL and raise your high A to Bb with RKR. BUT like Jim says if you want to do simple country songs C6 is the wrong way to go, it is my favorite tuning however and there's tons of cool stuff on it so have fun whatever you decide to do.