The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Henry Allen (others?)
Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 12:46 am    

Hello non peddlers, I've been playing pedal steel for a long time and I've never paid much attention to the non pedal steel sceen. I am , however, familiar with Jerry Byrd and Tom Morrell but that's about it. Recently I bought a CD by Henry Allen of Hawaii and I'm am totally blown away by this guy's playing. My questions are, is he famous among the non-pedalers and who else (that I've overlooked) should I listen to?

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 12:51 am    

Barney Isaacs, R.I.P.
Aloha,
Mike

Andy Volk

Boston, MA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 2:37 am    

Billy Hew Len
David "Feets" Rogers
Jules Ah Se
Alan Akaka
Casey Olsen
Bobby Ingano
Billy Robinson
Joaquin Murphy
Noel Boggs
Herb Remington

C Dixon

Duluth, GA USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 4:56 am    

Cannot add anything to what Andy said

carl

Ian McLatchie

Sechelt, British Columbia
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 5:24 am    

Don: I agree. Henry Allen is a superb player, and a very underrated one. That's not entirely suprising, since as far as I know he's recorded only one steel album
(he's also a singer and guitarist). In addition to the Hawaiian players Andy listed I'd also suggest David Kelii. He also recorded only one album as a leader, and it contains some of the best playing on record.

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 5:46 am    

I've been thinking about buying a Henry Allen recording. Now I'm convinced.

My 2 cents: add Ken Emerson, who plays mostly acoustic steel (usually on a National Tricone), but does some fine electric work as well. He plays generally an older style. His "Slack and Steel" CD is great and a favorite among many HSGA members. His extended electric steel solo on the jazz ballad "Do Nothin' 'Til You Hear From Me" on his new Swingin' in Paradise CD is stunning.

Don McClellan

California/Thailand
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 9:43 am    

Henry Allen has 3 CDs out but one of them has the same songs as one of the other two plus a few extra. I bought the one with the few extra. I was told it is his latest. It's called "Magic Of Steel Guitar". Rainbow Recording, 5161 D Kohi St., Maui, Hawaii 96761 (808) 669-6189. I also bought his CD called "Blue Hawaii" on which he sings but I have not listened to it yet. Henry Allen also plays Jazz guitar and Ukulele very well.

George Keoki Lake

Edmonton, AB., Canada
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 11:49 am    

I'm going to dwell into the past, simi to Andy (above). To fully appreciate Hawaiian Steel Guitar, (I dislike that term 'lap'), it is absolutely essential to seek, find and listen to the recordings of the great masters of yesteryear...i.e.: Dick McIntire, Sol Ho'opi'i, Andy Iona, Danny Stewart, David Keli'i, Jules Ah See, Joe Custino, Rudi Wairata, gads...there are so many ... far too numerous to list here. Also, for wild technic and ORIGINALITY, ya gotta listen to Roy Smeck whom you will either like or dislike, (no in-between). You just have to admire this man, especially when you hear his 'crazy' 6 string version of the Steel Guitar Rag!
While Henry Allen is truly a fine steel player, one of Hawai'i's best, he can hold his own amongst the foremost of cool jazz guitarists..(regular guitar). A great talent.

mikey

New Jersey
Post  Posted 21 Apr 2000 11:56 am    

I have to agree w/Keoki on this one, also, I had the opportunity to talk for a while w/ Henry Allen at a Jazz gig here on the Big Island, where he was playing Spanish (regular) guitar, and he considers himself more of a Jazz guitarist than a steeler,
Aloha,
Mike