The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Dating Fender DeLuxe 8
Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 12 Apr 2000 7:49 am    

The mint Fender DeLuxe 8 I recently purchased has a black tolex case with black leather ends and a metal logo. According to Gruhn's book that narrows it down to 1962-65. There is no pencil written date under the tuner pan, just "Frank 150," stamped. The serial no. is 5946.

I called Fender customer relations and they were friendly enough, but of no real help. Can anyone out there help me date this steel?

Thanks

After thinking on this a little more I realized that because this steel has CBS Fender warranty tags it has to be a 1965, as that is the year that CBS purchased Fender and the case is '62-'65. Still very interested in any serial number dating system
anyone has figured out. If no one has, I'll bet there are enough of us Forumites with Fender steels to figure out Fender's system.

[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 12 April 2000 at 08:50 AM.]

[This message was edited by Bob Stone on 12 April 2000 at 10:52 AM.]

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 17 Apr 2000 9:55 am    

Hey Bob; that sounds about right to me; but have you checked under the pick-up plate also? I know that in the 60's; they did put the date under there also; but not sure when and why they started doing that. My 1960 Fender has it under tuning pan. My '62 had it under tuning pan; but I even had a '66 and it was under the pick-up plate. Check it out and let me know and look on the bottom of the plate and on the wood under the plate and you might need to peel up the foil type stuff under the pick-ups theirselves; if you really want to find out and go to that trouble. You won't hurt anything pal.
Ricky

------------------
Ricky Davis
http://hometown.aol.com/sshawaiian/RickyHomepage.html
http://users.interlinks.net/rebel/steel/steel.html
sshawaiian@aol.com

Bob Stone

Gainesville, FL, USA
Post  Posted 19 Apr 2000 10:21 am    

Thanks Ricky. I'll probably wait a while before checking under the pickup plate, as I just strung this baby up.

Can we get a list of Fender serial numbers with brief descriptions of instruments, known dates and case descriptions started? I bet there are enough of us to crack the code.

Here's Lonnie Bennett's: DeLuxe 8, same case as mine above (62-65), SN 1954. Hard to believe they made 4,000 of these babies in 4 years--or is it?

I know a couple of other SNs I can get from DeLuxe 8 owners.

I'll also put a notice on the Hawaiian Steel Guitar Assn. bulletin board.