The Steel Guitar Forum Store 

Reply to topic
Author Topic:  Sho us your • blonde pro ii • Bud
Alan Berdoulay

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2011 6:57 am    

This is my first topic submission after years of lurking.....so hello all. I've gone through many sho bud threads here and I'm not seeing many pro 2's from '73-'74 (barrels/two hole pullers, round front, etc.) in a factory natural finish. Insights anyone? Was it that most players were ordering stained guitars at the time? I saw the one that went to Germany. Thanks, a.
( there ya go james)

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2011 12:34 pm    

I got this Professional as a basket case, around 1993, and over the years, I did some mods to it.

Ricky Davis

Bertram, Texas USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2011 3:02 pm    

Here's a pic of me and Tommy Detamore side by side and I'm supporting a knock-down gorgeous Blonde pro-II that I borrowed from my good friend James Morehead.

Ron Bryson

Bonifay, Florida, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2011 4:25 pm    

I like blonde guitars. Still have this Pro-II, played it Saturday nite at the Panhandle Opry.

Cliff Kane

the late great golden state
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2011 4:40 pm    

Chas,
what kind of changer housings are on your Pro II? Are those your creations? They look pretty formidable.

Jake Hoffman

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2011 4:46 pm    

Link to my two Pro II's, me behind a 1974, the other down the neck of a "71.

http://oakleyphoto.com/jake/

chas smith

Encino, CA, USA
Post  Posted 7 Nov 2011 8:28 pm    

Cliff, all the purists just blew lunch. I couldn't leave well enough alone and felt that if 4 screws holding the changer housing was ok, then wrapping it around the end of the guitar was better. I also wanted 11 strings on the C neck, because my tuning is, C E G A C E G A C E G and the 10th string drops to D on the 5 pedal. The bridge pups are Danny Sheilds Bigsby copies and the neck pups are 705's. This guitar has a lot of mileage on it.

Oh, and I modified the underneath, which explains the plastic tuners sticking out the back and needing the protection of the "wraparound". I kept the birdcage changers.

Above, being in the room when Ricky Davis and Tommy Detamore were playing side by side, would have been like getting religion.

Alan Berdoulay

Post  Posted 7 Nov 2011 11:49 pm    

Thanks for the replys. Ricky, is that the original finish on that guitar? Jake, that looks like what I'm talking about....pro ii...not pro ii custom. Round front, '73-'74 era.. I just received one in tobacco. Model 6155, serial #5692, barrels behind two hole pullers, coil tap pick ups, rope inlay, round front...just a real sweet guitar. How many originally blonde ones of this particular vintage are out there?

Adam Sorber

Pennsylvania, USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2011 6:07 am    

Here's my Pro II thanks to Skip Ellis:

Fender Super Twin Reverb
Fender Ultra-linear Twin Reverb

Kevin Mincke

Farmington, MN (Twin Cities-South Metro) USA
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2011 3:37 pm    

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2011 4:44 pm    

Alan Berdoulay wrote:
Thanks for the replys. Ricky, is that the original finish on that guitar?

That guitar was a brown tobacco Professional, and we pulled the stain out of it. ditched the racks and made it a "Pro II", our version. It is double raise double lower with 5 knees. It now lives in L.A. One of those"I should have kept it" guitars! Smile

Alan Berdoulay

Post  Posted 8 Nov 2011 7:59 pm    

Lovely guitars all and thanks for posting. James, I believe I've seen that one in previous posts of yours....maybe with tassels hangin off it? Over the top workmanship. Now about these pro ii's... you know the era I'm talking about, eh? After the professional and before the pro ii custom. You've told me there aren't many blonde ones out there.....

James Morehead

Prague, Oklahoma, USA - R.I.P.
Post  Posted 8 Nov 2011 8:16 pm    

Alan Berdoulay wrote:
You've told me there aren't many blonde ones out there.....

And there aren't. Most were tobacco brown, some were cherry red, some were green. And a few were natural blonde. And you know that the Professional is nothing more than a Pro II except it has racks?---meaning they make a great conversion to barrels/two-hole puller system. And of course, those old Professionals are sporting tremendous birdseye maple that can be refinished into blondes.

Guido Hausman from Germany has a great blonde Pro II barrels behind two-hole pullers. I went through it and set it up for him, then sent it. Maybe he will see this and post a couple pics.

Guido Hausmann

Gütersloh, NRW Germany
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2011 6:07 am    

first one thing must be said:
if it comes to turn a great sho bud into a unique pice of art mr morehead has the hands, the skills and all the knowledge needed!! the guitar he went through could'nt be any better for me and though i can't play it very good, yet it's the nicest guitar i can imagine!!
and besides that he's also a nice guy and one of the last real cowboys!! Winking
enough said - here's the pics of my awesome blone toy:

i'll see if i can take some pics from the undercarriage the next days - as beautifuly as the top! Winking
Sho~Bud Pro II, Sho~Bud LDG, Fender '79 Vibrosonic 1x15 JBL, Fender '72 Bandmaster Reverb + Custom 2x12 Vintage Alnico Cab, Fender 75 1x15", Randall Steel Man 500, Peavey Session 500, Goodrich L120, Sho~Bud Pedal
www.facebook.com/guido.luckylola

Alan Berdoulay

Post  Posted 9 Nov 2011 7:20 am    

•••NOW THAT'S WHAT I'M TALKIN ABOUT••• ......original natural finish pro ii round front rope inlay (and gone over by James Morehead to top it all off)....nice.

Frank Freniere

The First Coast
Post  Posted 9 Nov 2011 8:14 am    

Oofah - these are beautiful guitars - works of art (or James Wink )!

Jake Hoffman

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 10 Nov 2011 5:02 pm    

This is a Pro II SN 5336, built in March of 1974. I bought from the "factory". It has the sweetest sound of any steel I have played.

Alan Berdoulay

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2011 6:17 am    

Guido, great pictures. I was hoping you'd get some of them up here. Thanks. .....Jake, thanks for that pic. You bought that guitar new? Nice. Could you tell us about buying it? Did you order it in that finish?

Last edited by Alan Berdoulay on 14 Nov 2011 6:25 am; edited 1 time in total

Alan Berdoulay

Post  Posted 14 Nov 2011 6:23 am    

Two guitars. Any of you sho bud aficionados want to weigh in on the reasons for the appearrent scarcity of blonde pro 2's?

Per Berner

Skövde, Sweden
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2011 6:53 am    

Not a wood neck, and not originally an SD-10, but it's nice and blonde!

Jake Hoffman

Idaho, USA
Post  Posted 14 Nov 2011 5:08 pm    

Hi Alan. Yes, I had to special order it in a natural finish. I have to say that this guitar is special to me. I play about twice a week somewhere and it stays in tune, even after packing and unpacking. I rarely have to make any adjustments. I shipped it via airfreight to Nashville for a session a few years back and it was almost exactly in tune when I set it up. How lucky is that?

Alan Berdoulay

Post  Posted 22 Nov 2011 6:18 am    

Jake, thanks for your input on this post. So when you were shopping for your sho bud in 1974, did you find that there were plenty of pro2's in other finishes to choose from?